I am one of you now... (quirky honda content)

BKCowGod

Automotive ADHD is fun!
So it has been nearly a year since I got my motorcycle license, and I have spent that entire time waffling between my desire for a vintage Honda Scrambler and that for a bike that could actually go off road, and a third need for something practical that I could justify to the wife for commuting purposes. I finally decided on what I wanted, and Leslie surprised me with a 1 month anniversary present by funding this:

It's a 1989 Honda NX250 with 11k miles on it. Some of you may remember this short-term import of a water cooled thumper with a disc front and a six-speed gearbox. Has a few nicks and cracks in the plastic, but looks like half its age and a quarter of its miles. Riding on Bridgestone Trail Wings. I was a bit nervous because this was my first time on a bike since the MSF class (which was my first time ever), but after 2 laps of a parking lot I was comfortable enough to ride 6 miles home. Haven't gotten it on the freeway yet, but I hit 65 no problem. The Internet claims I can hit 100 if I try.

Suffice to say, I am in love. With the wife and the bike.

IMG_1855.JPG

IMG_1858.JPG

IMG_1857.JPG

IMG_1860.JPG

IMG_1861.JPG

burke

Observer
Very sweet! I've always liked those bikes, I also dig the transalp.

Looks super clean.

BKCowGod

Automotive ADHD is fun!
I already have my new pants, jacket and gloves... And my friend just horsetraded me a laptop for a nice icon helmet.

Sooooo excited to get out there and ride.

Maximus Ram

Expedition Leader
very cool...sweet lil 250. Theres a transalp for sale here, just wisj I had the 3700 or so for it. i've been jones'n for another bike all summer.....
ADVRider has a thread on those lil beauty's also....might want to check it out, if you already haven't.
Have fun and keep the rubber side down........:roost: :roost:

BKCowGod

Automotive ADHD is fun!
Woohoo... Commuted on it today for the first time. Still keep forgetting about that 6th gear, but goes down the freeway nicely at 70. Does NOT like when a jet flies 100' overhead.

I can't wait to play in the dirt!

spencyg

This Space For Rent
Sweet bike!

Watch out for those trail wings if you venture off the pavement at all....they almost killed me in the dirt earlier this summer and have no business being called a dual sport tire.

Excellent find.

Spence

BKCowGod

Automotive ADHD is fun!
yah, I had heard that about the TW. Though apparently there are quite a few different versions. I dunno - I am reading the DS tire thread with great interest.

Congratulations on the NX--I really like their clean lines. I picked up a TransAlp about 3 years ago, I love it. I wish Honda could just re-release their '89 line: NXs, TransAlp, and GB500.

BKCowGod

Automotive ADHD is fun!
not really worthy of a separate thread, here is my mini-report...

this was my first "real" ride. getting a feel for the bike on something other than my 5mi commute, getting used to my new gear (thank you newenough.com) and getting to know the gearing.

started at 10am, filled the gas tank (got 71mpg on the first tank!) and headed up Alum Rock. Took it slow on the way up, really nervous about all the gravel I was seeing mid-turn. Made it safely, uneventfully, and completely alone to the top of 130 and stopped at Lick Observatory to rest my sore butt. Almost exactly 25 miles from my house... Took my pictures and worked my way down. Really interesting to me - in a 50 mile round trip, I got to experience severe elevation changes, every kind of turn imaginable, serious potholes, rock slides, water hazards, suicidal squirrels, out of control UPS trucks, hairpins of all descriptions, and the joy of nearly getting run off the road by a cop on a cell phone. Better training than any other road I could think of, and by the middle of the ride I was smoothly banking and downshifting for turns. What a confidence booster! Here are a few pics...

top of the world...
DSCF2554.JPG

the free tour is quite cool.
DSCF2556.JPG

too bad about the haze...

DSCF2559.JPG

oh, and my one month wedding anniversary was the day before - I took her out in STYLE!
DSCF2542.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior