I can fit 3 panels on my roof.. but!

Bbasso

Expedition Leader
OJVncXL.jpg

So there is a very horrible picture of my fiberglass roof...
And very crudely mounted a renogy 100 watt panel.

But after thinking about it and wanting to increase my solar setup... I was up there measuring I have more than enough room to mount a total of 3 panels. Obviously they're going to have to go widthwise not lengthwise, like the current one is.
The current roof racks are semi permanently mounted and I would honestly rather not take them off because they are useful from time to time. Between the roof racks is approximate 8 inches of room to spare if I mount them widthwise.

Here is my big question my roof is slightly arched so mounting them that way would not be feasible because the panels are rigid. I'm not opposed to mounting some hardware to the roof or racks and then the panels on top, I'm taking suggestions please.

workerdrone

Part time fulltimer
So the roof is curved so much that the stock hardware won't reach it if they're mounted x-ways? How much shim would be needed?

I always thought if I bought a van I'd mount a bunch of solar on top, then cut an old aluminum ladder down the middle and mount it on either side so it just looked like I had a couple of ladders on top :)

fog cutter

Adventurer
mount a second set of racks? i think rigid solar panels benefit from air circulation, so a second set may give you some latitude mounting them off the deck a couple of inches. hein on the sprinter forum makes some brackets that attach with VHB tape so maybe those would work for you http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27822&page=2 - might have to join to see the good stuff. if you posted a fore & aft shot it might help you get a better solution from the brain-trust.

Sean H

I would make a simple aluminum bracket from roof rack to roof rack to mount the panels on. No holes in the roof and the panels are mounted solidly.

JHa6av8r

Adventurer
My first question is why do you think you need 3 panels? I have a pop-up truck camper that has everything in it, 110L compressor fridge (biggest amp draw), furnace, Fan-Tastic fan, water pump, and LED lights. There are two Renogy 100W flexible panels mounted to the roof to charge two 75 aH deep cycle AGM batteries. The panels are mounted end to end biased to the drivers side to the kayak carried on the right doesn't shade them. 200W is plenty of solar to keep the batteries charge so they go into the night full.

The forward panel is attached to an open aluminium frame I fabricated and mounted to my front two Yakima crossbars. The rear panel is also in an aluminium frame and attached to an existing mount from the old rigid panel.

Bbasso

Expedition Leader
Awesome so far!

As for needing / wanting 3 panels, because if i can, the batteries should live a happier life.

Ok its a fiberglass roof, sure id like not to drill into it... but its easily repaired with epoxy.

Bbasso

Expedition Leader
mount a second set of racks? i think rigid solar panels benefit from air circulation, so a second set may give you some latitude mounting them off the deck a couple of inches. hein on the sprinter forum makes some brackets that attach with VHB tape so maybe those would work for you http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27822&page=2 - might have to join to see the good stuff. if you posted a fore & aft shot it might help you get a better solution from the brain-trust.

Im trying to keep the mpg reasonable (aerodynamics),
Yup I know that is completely ludicrous... for not wanting to mount another pair of racks. Besides Thule stuff isn't cheap.

Bbasso

Expedition Leader
So the roof is curved so much that the stock hardware won't reach it if they're mounted x-ways? How much shim would be needed?

I always thought if I bought a van I'd mount a bunch of solar on top, then cut an old aluminum ladder down the middle and mount it on either side so it just looked like I had a couple of ladders on top :)

Please show me, I'm unable to picture what you're describing. But it sounds good. Thanks

DiploStrat

Expedition Leader
Thanks but I'm not very worried lol

You should be. Shade just one cell and watch what happens to your output. (Hint: It doesn't go up.)

And you really need an inch or three of clearance between the panels and the roof. They need the air flow. Hot panels mean low output.

Bbasso

Expedition Leader
Its Florida, plenty of sun and wide open areas, besides i understand all that and have an open parking area.

But i wont have to worry about the shade unless I can figure out how to mount additional panels lol

fog cutter

Adventurer
does the existing panel actually exceed the rack height (picture post #10) or is that just an optical hallucination?

also, fwiw, if you continue to counter everyone's suggestions with negative responses, they'll probably stop trying to help solve the problem which you asked advice LOL.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78