I decided to build my own Pop Top camper

rruff

Explorer
I think the GVWR is 5600 lbs? Is it really 5268 lbs empty and no camper? The numbers I see stock are ~4500, and I'd be surprised that you added over 700 lbs to it.

So 1350 lbs over, then. Yes, the camper weight is a small part of it usually. People who live in rigs like that would probably have an extra 500-1000 lbs of stuff, typically.

97heavyweight

I think the GVWR is 5600 lbs? Is it really 5268 lbs empty and no camper? The numbers I see stock are ~4500, and I'd be surprised that you added over 700 lbs to it.

So 1350 lbs over, then. Yes, the camper weight is a small part of it usually. People who live in rigs like that would probably have an extra 500-1000 lbs of stuff, typically.
It really is. I have full skids, front bumper and winch, rock sliders, 34" tires and aftermarket rims, OME BP51 and Dakar springs, as well as a rear seat delete with Dometic 55 fridge and all kinds of gear under the seat delete, as well as aux fuse panel and associated wiring for lights and an air compressor and air tank. She is pretty damn loaded.

97heavyweight

Time for a half ton truck (or bigger) and a flatbed!?!?

That thought has crossed my mind, but right now I am enjoying doing degenerate ******** in my Tacoma that I may not be able to do in a fullsize. I'll probably go with a 1 ton access cab of some sort and do a flatbed and custom camper.

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
That thought has crossed my mind, but right now I am enjoying doing degenerate ******** in my Tacoma that I may not be able to do in a fullsize. I'll probably go with a 1 ton access cab of some sort and do a flatbed and custom camper.
I would very much enjoy seeing that lol

97heavyweight

It rides quite nicely. The OME BP51s and OME Dakar Heavy Leaf springs provide a nice setup on and off hwy. I've even removed my sway bar and the body roll is no worse than it was when I had the factory suspension.

Mules

Now to present time. This past weekend I wrapped up some projects to get ready for the super cold oregon desert this weekend. I installed a coupling for a diesel heater, as well as a countertop. I also made a cushion for my Zarges boxes so i have more seating and when I get back i'll be installing a Lagun Table system to allow even more use of the camper during the cold winter months. So far so good and it's been a great start to the year.
Thanks for all the photos, and great job building this. After the last couple years, I definitely respect anyone with the skills and tenacity to build their own rig!

97heavyweight

Well it happened again. Since last year February the Sikaflex attached gasket came loose on the front passenger corner as well as the Sikaflex on the bed rails. I band aided it by just shoving it back in place every few weeks, but inevitably I knew I was going to have to remove the camper a third time.

Last year Black Friday I finally ordered a Long Range Tank and that was delivered this year in January. So why not knock out two birds with one stone. This past weekend that is exactly what I did. I pulled the camper off and the truck bed and replaced the tank.

First we will start with the tank. For something so expensive and theoretically not from China I expected the directions to be amazing. Unfortunately at times I felt like I was using Ikea furniture instructions. I am glad that the tank is in, but I will never do that again. I also installed a standpipe for a future Gas Heater that I will install next winter.

With the new tank it was back to getting the truck bed and camper reinstalled. I decided that I was going to use the same double sided tape that the camper was built with to attach the bed rails with as well as attach the camper gasket. Ultimately after some hemming and hawing I decided to not use a gasket at all between the camper and bed. It is now just taped on and a bead of sealant was added as backup to keep dirt out of the tape seam. Only time will tell if this is the end all, be all, but I can assure you it will be the last time I pull the camper off the truck. Leaks or not.

I also upgraded my batteries to Dakota Lithium. I now have a 135ah under the hood and a 315ah in the camper. I know 315ah is super overkill, but I will not need to ever worry and size and weight compared to the existing yellow top optima is negligible. Overall I saved 30lbs.

Last fall I did some upgrades and installed some Camber Engineering upgraded spindles as well as Powerbrake 6 piston brake kit. The brakes are amazing and braking is how it should be now. No more braking early due to the weight. While I was in there I also did the bearings and replaced my upper control arm to a JBA Offroad.

Just a few weeks ago I had the pleasure of realizing that even in front of my house my camper isn't safe. Some ************ tried to drill out the camper lock. Thankfully Tern Overland knows what they are doing and the would be overlander was unable to gain access. Also the folks at Tern are amazing. They were a pleasure to deal with. I was able to order a new lock keyed to my existing key and receive it in less than a week. They also sent me instructions and a video on how to replace the lock myself.

Attachments

• 16.jpg
    16.jpg
    718.5 KB · Views: 22
  • 17.jpg
    17.jpg
    967.9 KB · Views: 19
  • 18.jpg
    18.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 20
  • 19.jpg
    19.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 22
  • 21.jpg
    21.jpg
    873.2 KB · Views: 23

97heavyweight

Other than that I have been using and abusing my truck and camper all year. So of course some obligatory pictures of adventures.

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    344.2 KB · Views: 41
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    577 KB · Views: 36
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    488.2 KB · Views: 33
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg