I did something.....4m50 20g combo

boostin

Adventurer
It seems like a truck had a fairly programmed fuel map and can't stray from it very much in regards to boost, seems like the slower spool and lacking of boost make it feel like it's running really rich till the turbo spools.

Think I have to find a 16g turbo to try

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
You could always run twin, inline turbos. This seem to be getting popular these days.
There is a smaller turbo that spools up quickly to create less turbo lag, then the larger turbo kicks in for higher boost.

boostin

Adventurer
Well that is true, common in 6bt world.... But I am not that motivated ha ha.

Try the 16 g and see what happens....in the end it's only money

boostin

Adventurer
What specs on the turbine side?
Do you have a chip?

It's a td05h sadly clipped which I think causes some of the spool problem, in a Starion 8cm housing.

I run the steinbauer but the turbo spools so slow I am getting higher egt instead of lower.

Next step I got a evo 3 turbo to try:)

Amesz00

Adventurer
When you say laggy what are we talking? When does it make say 10psi?
Yea the 16g either small or evo3 seem like a good compressor match out to mid 20s boost.
I see someone makes a 9blade td05 turbine they reckon is lighter and spools faster..

boostin

Adventurer
Evo 3 turbo will be in tomorrow, then I can update that part.

The 20 g say got 15psi by about 2400, then it hit pretty hard straight to 3000.

The thing I noticed on about a 150km highway test drive with some good grades was that the ecu must be calibrated for 20 - 25 psi cause it gave a bunch of fuel, almost chugged rich, and really high egts, and tertible mpg compared to the td04. The fuel mapping must not be able to stray far from the factory turbo???

Amesz00

Adventurer
Man that is a lag monster hey.. When did the td04 on yours spool? On mine it's at 10 around 1450, max 17 couple hundred later. That's really loading it up early tho.
Seems strange the 20g should get so hot/rich and not spool. I have heard they can be laggy but not that much. Do you think the clipped turbine makes that much difference??
Btw is your egr blocked?

boostin

Adventurer
I do think the clipping makes a big difference.

Egr not yet, having some issues with rusty fasteners.

I was making 24 on the td04 by about 1800

Amesz00

Adventurer
So pretty similar curve.
Have you tried it with the wastegate wired shut? Almost sounds like it's leaking or something preventing spool?

boostin

Adventurer
So pretty similar curve.
Have you tried it with the wastegate wired shut? Almost sounds like it's leaking or something preventing spool?

Well got the evo 3 turbo on, spool is sill laggy but not as bad as the 20g, then out if curiosity I wired the waste gate shut, seemed to help achieve higher boost but not help with the lag.

So I installed the stock td04 wastegate actuator on the evo 3 turbo and life seemed much better, spool and boost pressure, got the evo 3 up to 25 pounds.

Guess time to get a load on the truck and see how she works in the hills but I can't see going back to the td04 any time soon

boostin

Adventurer
Is that the same turbine setup as the 20g or another one? Good to hear it seems better.

Same turbine, not clipped, and same exhaust housing. It's deff got note if a feeling it's not going to give up on power but just keep digging deeper ave and deeper

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears