I don't see a lot about Pinzgauers here?!?!

Maryland Pinz

Observer
My daughter wanted me to get the Pinzgauer 712 Ambulance, but I bought the 712M troop carrier instead. And THEN I saw this ambulance conversion. Makes me want to go buy another one! I do like my 712M, though... Anyhow, aren't there any Pinz owners out there? I don't see a lot about them on this forum. Check out this build, and maybe that will change.

http://www.pinzgauer-overland.co.uk/pinzgauerphoto'a.html

mog

Kodiak Buckaroo
Just an FYI on the 712 ambulance box. While they are outstanding in strength and construction, they are very heavy. I would guess in the 1100-1200 pound range. I have one that I am going to use on a trailer (with a Wildnest top on it), and the weight has been surprising.
A plus side is they will hold a full size ATV.

pinzbox-atv.jpg

Maryland Pinz

Observer
Just an FYI on the 712 ambulance box. While they are outstanding in strength and construction, they are very heavy. I would guess in the 1100-1200 pound range. I have one that I am going to use on a trailer (with a Wildnest top on it), and the weight has been surprising.
A plus side is they will hold a full size ATV.

pinzbox-atv.jpg

Just curious, how much did you pay for your 712 ambulance body? I saw one on eBay the other day, but the guy wanted $4500 for it! That seemed WAY too overpriced for me. Then again, maybe that's what they go for these days!

mog

Kodiak Buckaroo
Just curious, how much did you pay for your 712 ambulance body? I saw one on eBay the other day, but the guy wanted $4500 for it! That seemed WAY too overpriced for me. Then again, maybe that's what they go for these days!

I got mine here on the Expedition Portal from jaguar7 (thanks again) for a low-low $400 with all the racks inside. :bike_rider:

I think at one time they were selling pretty cheap since a lot of 712s were coming in, and guys just want the 6x6 pinzs without the weight of the box in back. So the old supply and demand cycle. I would say my $400 was a super good deal at anytime, and $4500 seems to be on the high side, but if the supply has dried up, who knows? I would call all the big Pinz importers, perhaps they have one in their back lot full of jerrycans and brake drums they would like to part with. They are of super quality, and a very practical size (for a smaller size). Don't forget shipping costs as they are heavy.

Old_FJ_Guy

Observer
I just completed the restoration of my 712M. It started out life as a 712 ambulance. The box weighs closer to 2,000 lbs!!! It was all my small excavator could do to lift it off and it is rated at 2,200 lbs. I gave my box to a friend who has a 710M and is going to do the same thing, build a trailer under it. I'm not really sure his Pinz will pull it well, but time will tell. Extremely well made, lots of storage and two(2) gas heaters. The spare tire system mount and crane/ winch is simply an amazing piece of engineering.

The gentlemen I bought mine from has several more ambulance boxes for sale cheap!! Pm me for his contact info if you're interested.

Maybe we should post some pics of our Pinz's and develop some interest?

mog

Kodiak Buckaroo
The box weighs closer to 2,000 lbs!!!

Man do I believe that!!
I was thinking I was crazy when lifting it (cable clamps slipping, light duty winch stalling, etc), but it would make sense at 2,000 lbs. I'll have to try and weight mine, and post the weight. Thanks for the heads up (a '77 FJ-40 here)

Trailer mine is going on:
trailer1.jpg

5000 lb axle.

scottishpinz

Adventurer
Pinzgauer for Travel

I have a Pinzgauer 710k which has taken me and my girlfriend all round Europe and Iceland. Suits me as a vehicle as it is nice and compact. Fuel consumption is a little poor but nothing Americans (with their taste for V8s etc.) would complain about! I have some pictures from our trips here:
http://bagstraining.co.uk/Bags/Pinzgauer.html

domitype

Pinz groups

I think the swiss army vehicles dealer website has a pretty good pinzgauer forum, and so does the real 4x4 website, but hardly anything I have noticed here.

There is also a pretty active Yahoo Group:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/pinzgauer/ that goes back to 1998!
38839 messages in the archives and somehow nobody linked to ExPo until I stumbled upon this place a few days ago...

(now that the Yahoogroup knows about this site a few others might join up.)
I introduced myself on the CA Regional chapter.

T.Low

Expedition Leader
Yeah, from what my friend indicates, they have a more specific forum out there in the world wide internets. They are really cool machines.

And then there is the Volvo that looks really similar to the Pinz. I think I've only ever seen one on GoWesty's Baja trip photo albums.

Here's our little group in the Olympic Mts, Wa. state. I'd venture to say this is the only pic ever that includes a Pinz, a Rover, and a lifted Astro 4x4 pop top traveling together.
OlympicPenninsula077.jpg

Randwolfe

More Pinz Please

Karoja,
Can I get more information about your unit, from the looks of it, it may be similar to what I would like to do. I am trying to decide on Pinz vs Mog and seeing the side view of your Pinz is swaying my decision. Do you have a website with detailed pics and or specs...very nice looking machine. How is your interior configured? What modifications/improvements? What heating in the box? How is water heated?......a million questions.

Thanks

Randy

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78