I finally got the Jeep I wanted...now I need help deciding which tires to use

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
jamm,

Even though I love my OME ZJ/LJ springs I will probably try the AEV ones next time around. I also have the JKS adjustable control arm all the way around and recommend them for adjusting pinion angle. As a side benefit I think they help with the ride both on and off road as they pivot in the middle. Vibrations are just like stock as they use the OEM bushing.

If you have any other questions, don't hesitate to post up.

jamm

Observer
Jamm, where are you located and what tire (size and model) are you replacing? Will you be selling them?

I'm still deciding what height I want my van to end up, so I'm reluctant to buy that "ultimate" tire set up. Keepin and eye out for a good deal on 31" 16 MTs in the mean time.

T. Low, I'm in Michigan, fortunately the Goodyear MTs are down to their last miles (they get noisier as they wear out), hence the prime time for me to make the change over to 33s.

FYI --Check out craigslist for tires in your area. I use searchtempest.com to check craigslist and Ebay at the same time and you can input a search radius in miles from your location.

T.Low

Expedition Leader
Thanks. I've been checking CL but ddn't remember about the search feature. I'm from Oakland Co. Mi. Go Wings!

jamm

Observer
I finally got my Rubicon, an '05 Unlimited and want to install a 3" lift. I'll more than likely install one from BDS since they are a local manufacturer to me. I would like to go with 33" tires and keep them inside the flares but don't want to have the skinny tire look. I'd like to keep the MOAB wheels if possible. Has anyone had any experience using 255-85-16s on a Rubicon? Unfortunately the only ones I've found are E rated, I'd like to get something in the C or D rating if possible. I was told that 285-75-16s would fit without rubbing but I believe they wouldn't stay inside the fender flares. I haven't found anything in the 33x10.50 sizes and wondered if I go with a 265 series or 32x10.50 would they look too small for the 3" lift.

I don't want to go with a 2" BB and 1.25' BL lift as I do not like how the BL looks.

FYI - Off-road usage would only account for 10-15% so ride comfort is a consideration. :smiley_drive:

Any suggestions or pics would be helpful.

Thanks,
Jerry

The mismatched lift is installed and it rides like a charm. :wings: I installed AEV's 3" progressive coils, JKS trackbars (front and rear), JKS discos up front and RE extended swaybar links in back, JKS front lower control arms and Rancho RSX shocks along with the Rancho 5000 steering stabilizer. The BFG KM2s are 255/85/R16 on the stock MOABs and I do not have any rubbing even at full stop. I did the typical chalk test with the tires and 28# seems to be ideal for the Jeep. The spare hit the rear bumper and wouldn't fit on the stock tire carrier so I just added a couple of 1/4" thick plates to it so it could be raised 2". No wiggle or wobble.

Stock
120_2065.jpg

3" lift
120_2089.jpg

Goodyear MT/R vs BFG KM2
120_2067.jpg

255/85/R16 vs 245/70/R16
120_2066.jpg

Thanks to everyone for heir help.

1leg

Explorer
Don't want to get off-topic, but this seems an easy place to ask . . .

Does anyone know off-hand what wheel backspacing would be needed for these 255/85-16 BFG MTs to run without interference on a JK Rubicon without spacers? Is there a particular wheel preferred for these tires when taking a JK down to 16"? Thanks.

Stock steel wheels work for me.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
Does anyone know off-hand what wheel backspacing would be needed for these 255/85-16 BFG MTs to run without interference on a JK Rubicon without spacers? Is there a particular wheel preferred for these tires when taking a JK down to 16"? Thanks.
If I were spending your money, I'd use Centerline wheels with 5 or 6 inches of backspacing. With my money, I mounted ProComp alloys and 4.5" of backspace.
I'm running 285/75-16 right now since the new MTR's don't come in the 255 size.
JK's can fit much more rubber with fewer mods than any of the previous Wranglers. I don't have a lift but am running springs that were liberated from an Unlimited with a tow package. They raised my 2-door to the perfect height for 33's after installing bumpers at both ends and a winch on front:

100_3378.jpg

100_3354-1.jpg

86cj

Explorer
The mismatched lift is installed and it rides like a charm. :wings: I installed AEV's 3" progressive coils, JKS trackbars (front and rear), JKS discos up front and RE extended swaybar links in back, JKS front lower control arms and Rancho RSX shocks along with the Rancho 5000 steering stabilizer. The BFG KM2s are 255/85/R16 on the stock MOABs and I do not have any rubbing even at full stop. I did the typical chalk test with the tires and 28# seems to be ideal for the Jeep. The spare hit the rear bumper and wouldn't fit on the stock tire carrier so I just added a couple of 1/4" thick plates to it so it could be raised 2". No wiggle or wobble.

Stock
120_2065.jpg

3" lift
120_2089.jpg

Goodyear MT/R vs BFG KM2
120_2067.jpg

255/85/R16 vs 245/70/R16
120_2066.jpg

Thanks to everyone for heir help.

Looks great, nice LJ.........A 3" and 33's work excellent on an LJ.........

nasty73z-28

Jamm, your LJ looks great. Are you happy with the ride? Is there anything you would change? I have the same Jeep and that's the lift I like the most. Any other pics of your Jeep? Thanks...

jamm

Observer
Jamm, your LJ looks great. Are you happy with the ride? Is there anything you would change? I have the same Jeep and that's the lift I like the most. Any other pics of your Jeep? Thanks...

Thanks for the compliment.

I am very happy with the ride of this mismatched lift. I run the KM2s at 26# on the front and 28# on the back tires since they have an "E" load rating to compensate for the stiff sidewalls. With other tires combos you might get a little smoother ride but that's the trade-off if you want to run skinny tires.

I don't think that I would change anything from what I did originally other than not installing the JKS front upper control arms. That was a couple hundred dollars that really wasn't necessary. I've put about 7k miles on the LJ since the lift was installed and haven't had any problems.

I would recommend a body lift if you want to go bigger than 33s and want to buy a tummy tuck. I didn't go that way because 33s are the tallest that I plan on installing and an additional 1" lift on the body would have made the tire\wheel arc gap look too big in my opinion. I will eventually do my own tummy tuck so I'm not worried about needing the body lift to make something fit. I plan on building my own sliders that will help with the tire spray as shown in the pics, they wont eliminate it all but mud looks good on Jeep anyway.

Once you get your lift installed post some pics.

Here's a few of mine from the UP Expedition this year:
IMG_2139.jpg

Thruthewater.jpg

CampJammatTwoHeartedRiver.jpg

nasty73z-28

Jamm, I've got the BDO aluminum sliders on my LJ. Really keeps the Jeep alot cleaner and gives my kids a nice step. Did you add bumpstop? Would the stock control arms be OK? I'm waiting to see the aluminum Savvy TT..

jamm

Observer
Jamm, I've got the BDO aluminum sliders on my LJ. Really keeps the Jeep alot cleaner and gives my kids a nice step. Did you add bumpstop? Would the stock control arms be OK? I'm waiting to see the aluminum Savvy TT..

Nasty,

You can get by with the stock rear upper and lower control arms on a LJ with a 3" lift. Up front I would recommend getting the adjustable lower control arms as the stock ones just don't have enough adjustment to compensate. The front uppers can be left stock. If you go higher than a 3" lift then I believe you would need adjustables all the way around.

Thanks for the heads up about the sliders but I want to build my own since they will act not only as sliders but also as mud flaps and steps (no kids, just getting old).

Are you going to install the lift yourself? I did mine by myself in about 8 hours. Be sure to use PB Blaster on all the nuts and bolts about a week before you start, particularly the rear upper shock bolts. I was fortunate that my came out fine but may others have snapped them off. As far as bumpstops I added 1.5" longer than OEM 0bumpstops to both the front and back. I also added glued 3/4" hockey pucks to the lower spring pad in the rear. I have not flexed it to the max as most of my offroad driving is on trails and two-tracks. If I would ever do a lot of rock climbing or off-roading where flex may be an issue I may have to add some additional pucks. I actually drilled holes in the front lower spring arm perches to allow me to bolt additional ones on if needed. THis was the easiest to do since everything was out of the way during the lift install. I prefer this method because it eliminates the bumpstop from rubbing the coils when the extra length is added from the top.

I hope this helps. Don't forget to post pics of your LJ.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger