I guess that I am "Other'

olly hondro

mad scientist
I totally get the idea of a lift... But that is OVERKILL Specially for a spare tire!

A hand winch on a removable davit is more than enough! Especially when you have a "Qualified Winch Wench"! ;)

View attachment 674273

View attachment 674274

And a word of advice: It is REALLY necessary that you build well, and more importantly...AND AS LIGHT AS POSSIBLE!!!

Yes, agreed, I am a believer in "margin". And I did put the truck on a diet: The stock bed was 2400 lbs, bunch of military specific hardware came off. Original weight was 16, 800 trimmed down to 13,600.

olly hondro

mad scientist
This is my HMTV... ThusI am not "speaking out of my arus"!

View attachment 675094

I know...you and I go back a long way on the interweb. Is that "Libby"? I thought you divested her.

Advice from you that I often share with expedition dreamers: Build a plywood box the size of your habitat in the back yard. Live out of it for a couple of weeks then reassess if its a good idea. Something like that ;)

rhodos

Observer
Advice from you that I often share with expedition dreamers: Build a plywood box the size of your habitat in the back yard.

that is exactly what a friend of mine did for his Unimog camper, build it out of OSB and 1x2, including the planned interior - lived, sleeped and worked (home office) in it, smart proof of concept - we call it "tasting box" ;-)

bye Werner

rhodos

Observer
Jack, we miss you too - so lets hope that the travel ban on your side is lifted for vaccinated tourists in the very near future (sorry for hijacking the thread)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78