I have a dumb question about Tacoma Prerunner

redsoxfan1001

What the heck is the difference with a prerunner and a normal 2wd tacoma? can a prerunner get me unstuck? I'm going to stop talking now before I make a fool out of myself lol. I've been looking at some tacoma's for a long distance haul to south america and the prerunners are a little cheaper.

Insight please.

bijanjames

Adventurer
What the heck is the difference with a prerunner and a normal 2wd tacoma? can a prerunner get me unstuck? I'm going to stop talking now before I make a fool out of myself lol. I've been looking at some tacoma's for a long distance haul to south america and the prerunners are a little cheaper.

Insight please.

Prerunner has all the TRD offroad bits, Locker, shocks, etc...with no 4wheel drive.

andrew61987

Observer
I think of it like this. Back in the day you had two basic types of Toyota pickups, 2WD and 4WD. The 4WD had a significantly different stance from the factory (more ground clearance, bigger tires, different suspension, 6 lugs, etc) and it was obvious by looking which was which.

Then along came the PreRunner. It is nothing more than a 2WD with the 4WD stance/suspension.

I wouldn't do anything more than dry forest service roads in one. There's really no replacement for 4WD, even if it has a TRD locker.

JLee

Adventurer
I think of it like this. Back in the day you had two basic types of Toyota pickups, 2WD and 4WD. The 4WD had a significantly different stance from the factory (more ground clearance, bigger tires, different suspension, 6 lugs, etc) and it was obvious by looking which was which.

Then along came the PreRunner. It is nothing more than a 2WD with the 4WD stance/suspension.

I wouldn't do anything more than dry forest service roads in one. There's really no replacement for 4WD, even if it has a TRD locker.

Even the frame is different. It's a different truck, really.

http://www.ttora.com/forum/59-newbie-tech/90623-tacoma-5-lug-mini-vs-prerunner.html

I would rather a have 4WD than a PreRunner w/locker, though!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998