I have some Gen 1 Montero questions

djblingbling1

Hi,

I recently acquired a 91 Montero LS and had a few questions.

Is there a kit that lets you install a stereo AND a CB? Currently am using a generic stereo install kit, wiht the cb in the bottom pocket of the center console, but dont like the angle. I figured worst case I could take a piece of diamond plate or something and make the two holes and do it custom, but would prefer to just buy a proper double din kit.

Also is it even possible to get OEM replacement parts? My ebrake cable is broken, like the threads that mount the lever cable to the actual brake lines, and on top of that my shifter (auto) button dosnt work so my shifter moves easily out of P and my ebrake dosnt work!

Lastly, my power locks have a gremlin...sometimes after locking they will just unlock...not sure if its a bad relay or what, but if thats not a common problem with a common fix is there a way to just disable the power locks and use them manually? I couldn't find a fuse for them, and the wiring diagram in my chilton dosnt make much sense.

ultrakill

Adventurer
I don't know about a double DIN for stereo and CB, I installed a double-DIN size stereo when I purchased my montero, and I am in the process of installing the CB in the shelf below.

I get most of my OEM parts from Rock Auto (dot) com. They have ebrake cable listed also: http://www.rockauto.com/catalog

I had to take all the door panels off my Gen 1 and clean/oil up all the door lock mechanisms. I never had a problem of auto-locking, but I just had stuck locks that would neither lock or unlock unless I did it manually. Some WD-40 fixed that and now they all work perfectly.

Last edited:

rxinhed

Dirt Guy
P7141123_zps3be3393f.jpg

P7061081.jpg

A bit out of focus, but you get the point. I have a 1-DIN radio and Cobra CB mounted up. Using the two 1-DIN slot faceplate, there are no mounting issues for clearance.

djblingbling1

10360700_10202430615153954_8260081955514783779_n.jpg

There is a picture, 1/4 of the way through painting my wheels.

Anyway that din look awesome! What install kit is that?

Ill check out RockAuto and try and score hat part.

My biggest issue now is the steering. I drove 70 miles on the interstate and really felt it. If im driving straight turning left is fine, but there is 2-3" of freeplay to go right, and then the same gap to get back to left.

I messed with the screw on the steering box and it didnt seem to do anything.

rxinhed

Dirt Guy
No kit needed. The CB has the carriage mounts along the side of the casing, allowing you to use the Mitsubishi mounts. The late Gen I Montero/ Raider radio console depicted will support either the two 1-DIN slot or one 2-DIN slot faceplates. I used the constant power circuit from the OE radio to power both the stereo and CB, wired the CB to broadcast through the Mitsu speakers behind the seats on the B-pillar, and a host of other mods to the radio console.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears