I just added 200 lbs to my Taco!

blur13

Hi All,

I just got back from the Golden Trout Wilderness in my inaugural trip with my new Wildernest. I had been searching for a clean one for ages, and finally picked it up last Tuesday.

It did great, even better than I expected with night-time lows dipping into the low teens... I do have some questions though.

I know there are a couple people on this board with Wildernest experience, has anyone found a source for spares? I'm just thinking down the road and some things will eventually need to be replaced (hinges, latches, rubber o-rings around windows, etc.)

I'm in good shape now, but it wouldn't hurt to be prepared... Also, does anyone know any basic stats about them (how many were made, what years, etc.)

Thanks in advance for the info, here are a couple pics:

BEFORE:
dsc01893.jpg

AFTER:
100_0470.jpg

100_0473.jpg

Ga Yota 4x4

Nice set up! Looks comfortable. I'd like to have something like that, so I can tow my boat and still have a place to camp without tenting or sleeping in the bed.

Schattenjager

Expedition Leader
Welcome part II !!! Sweet setup! I cannot answer your questions - but maybe this link can help out: http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4338&page=3
I have a couple of questions for you, if you don't mind: - How did you mount the tent to your topper? I assume it is fiberglass? Do you have any internal reinforcement to support the weight / keep it from shaking your topper to bits off road?

Sorry to hijack your thread - but you have a very nice setup and I want to do something similar with my Snugtop but just don't trust it.

Last edited:

BajaTaco

Swashbuckler
Talk about the Taj Majal... that is awesome.

Beautiful truck! It looks uber-cool with the WN on it. Nice job.

blur13

Thanks for all the nice comments...

Dave,

Thanks a lot for all the info. I'm glad nothing is too specific on these toppers. Sounds like it shouldn't be too bad getting a box of spares together.
Thanks again!

Schattenjager said:
Welcome part II !!! Sweet setup! I cannot answer your questions - but maybe this link can help out: http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4338&page=3
I have a couple of questions for you, if you don't mind: - How did you mount the tent to your topper? I assume it is fiberglass? Do you have any internal reinforcement to support the weight / keep it from shaking your topper to bits off road?

Sorry to hijack your thread - but you have a very nice setup and I want to do something similar with my Snugtop but just don't trust it.

Thanks for the link! I tried searching, but that one slipped by me... lots of good information there.

As far as mounting it... it came that way. It is a fiberglass topper reinforced with wood. The design if very cool, I'll take some pics of the interior and post them here when I get a chance.

nickw

Adventurer
blur13 said:
Hi All,

I just got back from the Golden Trout Wilderness in my inaugural trip with my new Wildernest. I had been searching for a clean one for ages, and finally picked it up last Tuesday.

It did great, even better than I expected with night-time lows dipping into the low teens... I do have some questions though.

I know there are a couple people on this board with Wildernest experience, has anyone found a source for spares? I'm just thinking down the road and some things will eventually need to be replaced (hinges, latches, rubber o-rings around windows, etc.)

I'm in good shape now, but it wouldn't hurt to be prepared... Also, does anyone know any basic stats about them (how many were made, what years, etc.)

Thanks in advance for the info, here are a couple pics:

AFTER:

100_0473.jpg

Sweet truck man! Very nice "balanced" setup....what size tires you running?

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
I am curious about how the flipped over top is supported when you're sleeping on it.

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
Thanks Dave!
Some interesting loadings going on there, but I can see it working well.

There was a full size FS down in San Diego awhile back. I was interested but was headed out on a trip right when it came up. Wonder if it sold.....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger