I just need to boil water for coffee, what stove?

dfinn

Adventurer
Jetboil with the french press accessory that packs neatly inside it. Compact, reliable, affordable and boils water really quickly.

jwolfuo

Observer
i use an MSR Pocket Rocket + GSI Stainless Steel Kettle to boil water. The fuel for the MSR Pocket Rocket fits right inside the kettle too, so it ends up saving a bit of space. I also cook on a coleman 2-burner stove.

Kmrtnsn

Explorer
Coleman Peak One Multi-Fuel

159415628_peak-1-multi-fuel-coleman-backpacking-stove.jpg

prerunner221

Adventurer
So it looks like it's between then MSR WindBurner Stove and the Jetboil Flash Personal Cooking System. The price difference between the two units isn't much, but there is a huge difference in the cost of the fuel. So that may be a deal breaker. If the operating costs are twice as high on the MSR I'll just get the Jetboil. Seems like both sides really like their units and don't seem to have negative views on the competitive units. Any last thoughts on the topic?

71LVNL1dJUL._SL1440_.jpg

61HMzLB-oxL._SL1125_.jpg

Kerensky97

Xterra101
...just to throw some fuel on the fire haha.[/URL]
That's another reason I like white gas. There's been more than a few times I forgot my Axe and had to start unsplit wood on fire and used a sprinkling of white gas like lighter fluid. Am I the only one who's been this crazy?

The trick is to stand 3ft away and throw the match into the fire. That white gas is like jet fuel.

Kmrtnsn

Explorer
That's another reason I like white gas. There's been more than a few times I forgot my Axe and had to start unsplit wood on fire and used a sprinkling of white gas like lighter fluid. Am I the only one who's been this crazy?

The trick is to stand 3ft away and throw the match into the fire. That white gas is like jet fuel.

Jet fuel is nothing more than kerosene, complete with same extremely low flash point.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
I have found 2 butane stoves in my shop. Forgot they were there. THey are now in my pop up camper. What an awesome setup. just lock the can in and go. Great for the tailgate table of the jeep too!

THATSALEXUS?

Adventurer
So it looks like it's between then MSR WindBurner Stove and the Jetboil Flash Personal Cooking System, but there is a huge difference in the cost of the fuel.

What are you basing your fuel cost concerns on? The MSR is more fuel efficient than the Jetboil. Fuel brand? They're all about the same price and interchangable...

thethePete

Explorer
Another option is an alcohol burner. They're simple as dirt, cheap for fuel, and for boiling water, they work awesome. Easy to make too, if you break one, go buy another can of tuna. :p

IIRC Jetboil uses their own proprietary canisters, as opposed to the standard butane ones everyone else uses.

thefishhawk

Adventurer
Jetboil uses the same as everyone else and they are interchangable

http://www.jetboil.com/Support/FAQ/What-Fuel-Can-I-Use/

I think the only difference is in some of the mixtures, some use a little bit different butane/isobutane/propane combo. Not an issue in the summer, but I know the Jetboil canisters I got recently I noticed a snowflake and "winter blend" stamp on them. I wasn't looking for them but picked up a bunch at closeout at STP.

I just remembered...I think the last propietary one was Campingaz. I had a stove and a latern of theirs and can't find fuel for them anymore. I think Coleman bought them and stopped distributing on this side of the pond, mainly European now.

Last edited:

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
I'm in the Jetboil camp.

Simple, fast, and for the amount of use (backpacking & moto trips, but not 4WD trips), the cost of fuel isn't a concern. I *might* use one full canister per year.

The only problem I've had is that the ignitor isn't very reliable - so I just use a match. I don't know how old mine is - gotta be over a decade - so maybe the ignition systems are gotten better, or maybe they haven't.

Pilat

Tossing ewoks on Titan
Yes. A "winter mix" includes varying percentages of propane. But it uses the normal screw-on canisters.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998