I Need 12 Inches!

BigAl

Expedition Leader
I bought a new project. I want to covert this cargo trailer into an off road camper. It pulls very nicely with my truck but I can't even hook up to the jeep at this point to try and pull it. Currently the trailer is spring under on 205/75/15 tires. I am thinking spring over will give me 3". Going to 31" tires should give me 2-3" and a 4" drop hitch will get me close. Tell me why this is a bad idea? Does anyone have a lifted trailer that can give advice. Will I destroy the handling? The jeep is on 35" tires and has 4.88 gears. I know I have the power to pull this trailer, but I wonder how the whole set up will handle? Adding e-brakes is an option.

truck and trailer.jpgjeepntrailer.JPGneed12.JPG

McZippie

Walmart Adventure Camper
Your lift plan should work great with correct offset wheels, shocks and fenders.
See my trailer link below for fender ideas.

BigAl

Expedition Leader
Your trailer looks great. I found these jeep style fenders from PAcific boat trailer for $25 each. I want to build them in with nerf bars.
Jeep Style Trailer Fender (10W x 36L x 19.25T)
st_JeepStyle_1.jpg

Last edited:

12husky

Adventurer
If you are going to go spring-over, watch the axle camber. If it has a camber, you will have to weld on new perches instead of just rolling it over.

BigAl

Expedition Leader
I need to look at it closely, it does not appear arched, I may jack up the frame and see if the arch appears

elmo_4_vt

Explorer
It looks like your trailer has a drop axle since the hubs of the trailer are almost in line with the bottom of the body. Most likely, you'll have to get a slightly wider axle anyway to fit automotive type tires that are wider. Just order the new axle and make it spring over and you should be good. If it's not drop axle, then it may be a bit harder, but can still be done by changing the springs or by adding spacers between the frame and the spring mounts.

As far as using the trailer with 35s, it works fine with mine.

Don

-

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears