I need advice on my 4th gen 4runner

XpeditonTERRA

My 03 Xterra needed too much work to pass inspection so I wanted to buy a new vehicle.
P2080652.jpg
I really wanted a landcruiser or a gx470 but they are out of my price range so I decided on a 4th gen 4runner after a ton of research. I found an 06 sport edition v6 with only one previous owner and just under 130,000 miles on it. And good service records as well. I took it on its first adventure a few days after I bought it and I am impressed with its performance on and off road. I took it down a long narrow trail that ended in a steep, rocky switch back trail. At the end of that there was a sketchy bridge that I just had to get a picture on.
P9041535.jpg
P9041541.jpg
Now for some mods. It will me my daily driver so I want to get a good balance of on and off road performance. I want to keep it as close to stock and as lite as possible wile maximizing the use and performance of my 4runner.
My initial plans are:
New AT Tires
Diff breather mod
A suspension lift
Custom drawer system
Roof rack
lite skid plates(if I feel I need them in the future)

The first three will be my priority for now.
I think I am going with cooper discoverer atw in 265/70R17. From what I read these should not rub without a lift.(not sure how long it will be before I get my lift installed)

So for the the lift I was considering a 2" OME lift from slee. I don't want to go for a 3" lift. I feel 2" will be sufficient for the trails I frequent and then some and will provide better on road performance. I am also concerned with some of the reports of OME springs compressing over time. Is there a better option for a 2" lift that would be close to the same price or even a little more or do you think the OME suspension is good?

As for the diff breather, Is it good enough to just do the rear diff? I read that the others are very hard to get to and I have next to no mechanical know how. I think I have a good idea on how to do the rear diff but what part do I need to put on the top of the line? I seen some people use filters and some use a different looking part. What is best?

One more thing for now. Is there any way to get a good recovery point on the front of these gen 4s without getting a steel bumper?

Thanks for your time and I will appreciate any input or advice. It feels good to be on the Toyota forum.

Clawhammer

Adventurer
Some folks use Bilstein shocks and/or Eibach springs for lift. I'm personally very satisfied with my OME 2" lift, and all springs sag over time. Fox and King and such are nice, but $$$.

I have some of the same questions on breather relocation. Not sure where all your breathers are, but the trans and transfer case are higher than the rear end, so the rear's probably the most critical. Obviously all are important though. I think there's a video on YouTube of a guy talking about relocated them on a 4runner like yours. Wish I could be more help there.

Tow points, some folks use Chevy S10/Blazer tow hooks. These bolt to the frame.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:

XpeditonTERRA

OK, I found the part numbers for both parts for the breather mod.
Toyota Union Fitting- #90404-51319
Toyota Breather Plug- # 90930-03136

mjac

Adventurer
The factory provides a breather for the front and rear differentials, the transmission and transfer case.

Toyota ships the 3rd Generation 4Runner with the front differential breather already extended up into the engine compartment. If you look in the engine compartment, on the inside of the driver side wheel well you will see a rubber hose capped off with a silver breather at the end.

The rear is no biggie to do. After leaving enough extra hose coil for suspension travel (more if you are lifting later), either run the hose forward to high in the engine bay somewhere or, like I did, up between the rear body panels and terminated the hose in the compartment where the jack lives on my gen 5.

Or, if you are concerned the diff will smell up the interior (I wasn't, there is no odor) you can terminate the breather hose in the rear tail light assembly. A little harder to do but it is breathing outside.

Good luck with your choice.

HTH

Last edited:

MightyP

Observer
I have an '07 Sport V6 and have asked many of the same questions. Here are my takeaways, though they are just opinions. I'm sure we can find some folks who will disagree.

I've heard nothing but good things about the OME suspension. They're effective, inexpensive and don't require the upkeep of higher end shocks/struts. About the only negative is the rear is quite a bit stiffer than stock and the ride can be harsh. I'm planning on getting the Toytec Boss coilovers. Setup I'm looking at is only $300 more than the OME kit and fully adjustable. Currently, I'm on Daystar spacers with stock suspension, but since the KDSS suspension usually only lasts 120k-180k miles, it's only a matter of time. I'm at 148k miles.

Rear diff breather is plenty. Front breather is up pretty high in the engine bay. Rear breather is directly on the axle. Even then, there's some debate on whether most people really even need to move it. It's a cheap and easy move, which is why I did it. You'll need the union fitting, but I reused my breather plug from the diff and put it in with my fuel filler opening.

There's some debate (isn't there always?) on whether the factory tie-down points up front are sufficient, but they are there. They're welded directly to the frame and what I would use if I need a tug.

The tire size is good, but I'm pretty sure it will still rub in the front, even with a lift. I have spacers and rub, but I think it rubs either way. If you have to, you'll have to push your fender forward and trim the bumper a little. Nothing hard.

One other thing, why are you looking at skid plates? You should have stock skids and while they may not be shiny and cool, they are pretty beefy. They are much sturdier than the stock one on my '07 Pathfinder from years ago.

Good luck and enjoy your 4runner!

XpeditonTERRA

Thanks for the info. I see two breathers in my engine bay. I think I will attempt to run the rear diff breather line to the engine bay but have not decided yet.
I was also looking at the Toytec Boss suspension also. It looks like a nice set up. But two inches in the back is a bit more than I wanted. Would it be OK to put the Boss coil overs in the front and OME shocks and springs in the rear? Just a thought. I think I am going to go with the OME suspension though
I said I would consider new skid plates if I felt I need them but your are right they seem pretty sturdy. They seem thicker than my Xterra's plates also.

No name

OME Input

...06 sport edition v6...daily driver...balance of on and off road performance...close to stock...265/70R17...considering a 2" OME lift from slee... good?

I sat down with the guys at Slee earlier this year and laid-out almost these exact requirements for my 08' Limited V6.

My days of stuffin' as much rubber as possible into wheel-wells, hammering my vehicles on aggressive trails and modding for 'wow factor' are long behind me. I was looking for moderate on/off-road suspension enhancement, a step-up in choice of rubber and of utmost importance, I wanted a proven, simple, durable solution to get me out and back with confidence (CO, UT, WY, AZ). I did not constrain myself with price but I was not looking to be careless on spend either. I ended-up going with the following installed by the pros over at Slee and I could not be more satisfied with my decision, it is exactly what I was looking for.

Yes, this "low-lift" will ride more firm than stock (XREAS in my case) but, that's what one should expect, but its an appropriate feel, not harsh. When I hear "OME rides stiff" I can understand that if someone poorly selected components versus weight/load requirements but if done properly, non-issue. Re: tire size, I'm runnin' fundamentally the same overall size you are considering, 265/65-18 AT, E-rated, and I feel damn good about that decision as well (stock gearing, MPGs, performance and...wanted an LT tire and load rating).

Notes: You WILL retain rake with this setup so if that's a concern go with a different spring up-front (e.g. 884's but...no free-lunch with that decision). I would consider a trim packer on driver-side front only to level but not necessary. With stock UCAs, driving dynamics are excellent on/off-road, my alignment specs are very good and I had them re-checked at 6 months.

OME 883 90021 895E 60004 | 265/65-18 E-rated G2's

XpeditonTERRA

I sat down with the guys at Slee earlier this year and laid-out almost these exact requirements for my 08' Limited V6.

My days of stuffin' as much rubber as possible into wheel-wells, hammering my vehicles on aggressive trails and modding for 'wow factor' are long behind me. I was looking for moderate on/off-road suspension enhancement, a step-up in choice of rubber and of utmost importance, I wanted a proven, simple, durable solution to get me out and back with confidence (CO, UT, WY, AZ). I did not constrain myself with price but I was not looking to be careless on spend either. I ended-up going with the following installed by the pros over at Slee and I could not be more satisfied with my decision, it is exactly what I was looking for.

Yes, this "low-lift" will ride more firm than stock (XREAS in my case) but, that's what one should expect, but its an appropriate feel, not harsh. When I hear "OME rides stiff" I can understand that if someone poorly selected components versus weight/load requirements but if done properly, non-issue. Re: tire size, I'm runnin' fundamentally the same overall size you are considering, 265/65-18 AT, E-rated, and I feel damn good about that decision as well (stock gearing, MPGs, performance and...wanted an LT tire and load rating).

Notes: You WILL retain rake with this setup so if that's a concern go with a different spring up-front (e.g. 884's but...no free-lunch with that decision). I would consider a trim packer on driver-side front only to level but not necessary. With stock UCAs, driving dynamics are excellent on/off-road, my alignment specs are very good and I had them re-checked at 6 months.

OME 883 90021 895E 60004 | 265/65-18 E-rated G2's

Thanks, that helps me feel confident in that setup. I seen a guy on TR4.org has a similar setup.

If I am having a garage install my new suspension, should I have the struts assembled when I buy them or would it be cheaper/better to just let the garage do that?

Did your tire rub at all with that setup and does the stock skid plate work with your lift? I think I read that you need new bolts and spacers but that might just be for higher lifts.

Last edited:

No name

...TR4.org has a similar setup.

Yeh, I'm up there too, and a host of others are there with this setup and every other suspension combo. Younger demographic, diverse 'style' of mods discussed and detailed in the archive. Solid T4R board and a wealth of information (some chaff and low-ball stuff to sift thru as well). This OME setup is not what 'the cool kids are runnin'."

"If I am having a garage install my new suspension, should I have the struts assembled..."

My first advice, select a shop that has experience, period. I know that sounds obvious but...installation and the integrity/experience of the crew is as important as the hardware in my book. Got the skills, tools and time...going it alone is great, that wasn't an option for me. Could I have found a cheaper shop, sure, but that's pennies on the dollar in my mind. Second piece of advice, call Slee up if your buying from them, banter back-n-forth with Amory (the entire group over there are great) as he has that inherent customer-service skill and the patience to work you through questions and to land on good decisions.

"...tire rub at all with that setup and does the stock skid plate work with your lift? I think I read that you need new bolts and spacers but that might just be for higher lifts.

I held-off on tire install until I finished the lift but you'd be fine. Of course, post-install, zero rub, not even close, to include off-road use under load. Running a slightly taller tire is an option (i.e. a 265/70-18). I'd recommend you think thru section width & fitment more so than overall diameter. If your going with after market wheels more options open-up but I wanted to retain the Limited stockers. No bending, cutting, removal of mud guards, spacers, etc., not chasing any of that ******* for my ride. I 'get it' when others pursue but that wasn't for me nor in my plan. Skid-plates, non-issue. Bolts? When/if you speak with Amory he'll take you through that topic. Some vehicles have issues with stock hardware, Slee will not take the 'cheap route' and just "make the old work." If they encounter parts that should be replaced they want you to be prepared for that up-front. Have your selected shop aware and prepared to "do the right thing" if retained parts are a potential issue.

Some pics for a little more perspective:

MOguy

Explorer
I have a 4th generation. I really don't off road, I use my Wrangler 4 that. If I were to build out the 4Runner I would go with a suspension lift, larger tires, armor underneath, bumpers and rocker protection.

The bumper and steps on a 4th generation are EXTREMELY vulnerable when it comes to off roading. The underneath needs protection. A winch is always nice.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78