I need some help designing a multi use rack for my silverado

iamdanwoody

Observer
I am working with a local welding shop that does all the truck fab for my family. I want a low profile contractor rack due to my work needs but i don't like the cheap bolt up ones. My intentions are to make it strong enough to hold lumber but also fit a roof top tent and have a basket over the crew cab. Are there any suggestions to things that you believe im missing or overlooking? Im having extra D rings put on and a few spots for a side awning and a hi lift. Here is the main idea/bones of the project. Let me know what you think.

Custom-truck-rack.-3.jpgCustom-truck-rack.-1.jpg

Jr_Explorer

Explorer
I think that is AWESOME! Looks sharp. Anodize the whole thing black (assuming that is aluminum and not SS) and it will match the truck.

iamdanwoody

Observer
Correct, Aluminum square stock. im not sure if im going to anodize because my Silverado is a graphite grey anyway, but my brother in law likes "plastidip" I figure I could try that on the sections that don't get a lot of abuse. Id also like to undermount a full length LED under the front crossmember of the rack. I think that would be great, low profile lighting that does not hinder the crap I haul on top.

AA1PR

Disabled Explorer
My only thought right now with the limited , but nice photos you gave us is a ladder of sorts that can be moved around the 2 sides, since you dont know where the tent entrance might be

iamdanwoody

Observer
My only thought right now with the limited , but nice photos you gave us is a ladder of sorts that can be moved around the 2 sides, since you dont know where the tent entrance might be

I had imagined a library ladder of sorts. It would have hooks on the ends like a firefighting roof ladder so it can be moved to ANY side and still be secure.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan