I need to build an off-road teardrop with a queen size bed! Need advice.

KC10Chief

Hello! I've been lurking here for a while and recently joined. I've been interested in building my own off-road camper for a while. I love camping and being outside. However, my wife does not care for tent camping as much as I do. We live in Oklahoma and 95% of the year, this is a pretty uncomfortable place to tent camp due to the weather! We have a 2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon that is lifted and on 35s. I love going to Colorado and Utah and other places like Death Valley where I'd love to camp out. One of our biggest problems, is that my wife and I are both 6'1". We're both pretty thin, fortunately. However, we pretty much can't sleep on anything less than a queen size bed. I also don't want the trailer to be wider than my Jeep which is about 77" from the sides of the tires. I figure that I'd need to have the bed platform above the tires if I wanted to keep it under 6' wide. I'd need a 5' wide platform for a queen size bed. I also want 1.5" thick insulated walls. That will be 63". I'd like to use 30 or 31" all terrain tires that are about 10" wide each. Giving myself an inch of clearance, I'd be up to 85". That's too wide for me. I figure I can have the wheels recessed and the area under the bed platform used for storage.

I'd also need this thing to be air conditioned and heated. I'm thinking a window style AC unit at the front of the trailer. I have a Honda inverter style generator to run that. Then, some sort of propane furnace for heating in the winter or on cold nights. I'd also lie to have a roof rack on this thing that could hold something like a roof top tent if I wanted to. I'd also like a small kitchen area on the back where I could cook and have a sink. I could build a water tank and just use a 12V RV style water pump. An outdoor shower too. I'm sure my wife would want a small TV or something inside that we could watch if it were raining outside.

So, I have a welder. I'm not a great welder but can get it done. I'm a lot better at working with wood. I have tons of wood working tools and quite a bit of experience building things. I'm thinking that a steel cage might be better for strength off road and for a roof rack. I'm also trying to decide on a Timbren style axle or a more traditional 3,500 pound axle. It seems like the traditional axle might be easier and less prone to problems. I also like to over build things. I'm thinking 2"x3" square tubing for the frame. I'm just not sure how thick it should be?

I'd appreciate any advice or links to builds that you guys know of like this or that are similar. I've seen some on here and have been gathering inspiration. I'd like to hear your thoughts on a few things based on what I'm looking for such as the thickness of material to use for my frame. Wood or metal box frame? Timbren or traditional axle? I do some really tough trails in my Jeep that no trailer would be able to go down. I'd leave it somewhere while I went out and did that. But I also like overloading stuff too like the long trails in Death Valley. Thanks for any advice!

JandDGreens

Adventurer
I have been very interested in off road expedition adventuring and lurking on this site too. I began building a trailer for getting into the back country out of my son's XJ. I ran across a pop-up trailer that some-one was getting rid of. I offered them $75.00 and they took it. I was going to use it for parts but I have been thinking that the trailer might make a perfect platform for a large tear drop trailer the trailer is rated for 3500 pounds. It already has the tanks/ furnace/ shower-exedra. So I have decided to leave it intact for now and might make it into a tear drop some day. My wife wants a more self contained camper for road trips so maybe that will be my next big project.

That might be something to consider if you decide to make your own tear drop trailer.

Attachments

• trailer Drawing 001 (640x480).jpg
    trailer Drawing 001 (640x480).jpg
    150 KB · Views: 59
  • trailer find 001 (1024x768).jpg
    trailer find 001 (1024x768).jpg
    359.9 KB · Views: 75
  • trailer find 003 (1024x768).jpg
    trailer find 003 (1024x768).jpg
    328.2 KB · Views: 65
  • DSCN0127 (1024x768).jpg
    DSCN0127 (1024x768).jpg
    452 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:

Phxdsrtrat

Observer
I would look to some of the current solutions out there to pull ideas from. The Moby1 XTR, SoCal Krawler 489 and the Oregon Trail'r Terradrop are all excellent examples of off road teardrop trailers. There are others out there but I think these 3 encompass most of the features you listed. It's always a good idea to look at what has been engineered and build off their experience.

As far as heating and air conditioning is concerned unless you are camping where it will be below freezing a heater may be overkill for a well insulated teardrop. You will also have to consider how you will keep your water tank from freezing if you are planning this type of camping. For air conditioning I like the option of using a unit like the climate right which you hookup to your teardrop with a couple of hoses when you need it. This makes bringing the AC and generator along optional if you don't need it.

-Curtiss

KC10Chief

Awesome! Thanks! That last one is kind of the shape I had in mind. Kind of like those Aussie trailers. I figure it's best if the trailer tracks pretty much right behind my Jeep, as far as the width of the tires.

As for the heater, I do a lot of winter camping. In Oklahoma, it's downright miserable to camp out in the summer with no air conditioning. It only gets down to 80 at best at night. I don't mind being out in the heat during the day time but I just have a hard time sleeping when it's above 75 degrees. I camp more in the winter around here since I can always have a big fire and bundle up in sleeping bags. Still, having some room to spread out would sure be nice and being able to keep it at 70 degrees would be great too! I just wouldn't use the water tank in the winter and I'd winterize it. I've had a couple of RVs before including an old school bus that I converted into an RV. So, I'm pretty familiar with how they work. I just want to scale it down a bit for some off road use! HA!

KC10Chief

I had to look up a Climate Right air conditioner. How have I not seen these things before?!? That actually solves a lot of problems for me! I was looking at those miniature window units. Then, a propane RV furnace. Looks like the Climate Right has a heater too! Problem solved. I'd just run everything off of my Honda generator.

KC10Chief

I have been very interested in off road expedition adventuring and lurking on this site too. I began building a trailer for getting into the back country out of my son's XJ. I ran across a pop-up trailer that some-one was getting rid of. I offered them $75.00 and they took it. I was going to use it for parts but I have been thinking that the trailer might make a perfect platform for a large tear drop trailer the trailer is rated for 3500 pounds. It already has the tanks/ furnace/ shower-exedra. So I have decided to leave it intact for now and might make it into a tear drop some day. My wife wants a more self contained camper for road trips so maybe that will be my next big project.

That might be something to consider if you decide to make your own tear drop trailer.

Thanks! I've been keeping my eye out for a good pop up that I could convert to an off road camper. I've seen some small ones that were done really well. I like the space you have in a pop up. But I also like the hard sides. It keeps noise down too. I'm a really light sleeper as it is. One of the problems in Oklahoma is the wind. I've laid awake a few times listening to my tent flap in the wind. Also, I have a feeling that I'll be the only one using this thing most of the time anyways. My 18 year old son is moving out in a couple of months. My wife and daughter aren't as crazy about off roading and camping as I am either. I sure don't mind going by myself though! HA!

Phxdsrtrat

Observer
I had to look up a Climate Right air conditioner. How have I not seen these things before?!? That actually solves a lot of problems for me! I was looking at those miniature window units. Then, a propane RV furnace. Looks like the Climate Right has a heater too! Problem solved. I'd just run everything off of my Honda generator.

I think the Climate Right is perfect for a teardrop. As I mentioned, when needed pack up the AC and generator. When not, leave it behind. I was really torn when I went to purchase my teardrop because the one I really wanted did not have an AC option. When I found this it made the decision easy.

-Curtiss

KC10Chief

Here is a link to my build thread. It was specifically made for a queen size mattress.
http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...-offroad-teardrop-trailer?highlight=old+man's

Fantastic! I just read through that entire thread! There's lots of inspiration in there. I'm thinking that I'll use a slightly different shape, but the same concept. I want to use 2x3 metal tube for the frame. Something heavy duty like 11ga steel. Then, 1" square for the box frame. I'll fill it in with 1" foam insulation like you did and sheet it with 1/4" ply on each side. It's been a real long time since I've done any welding so I went today and bought some pieces so that I can practice. I still have my Lincoln mig welder. I'm going to buy a bottle for it tomorrow.

GFA

Adventurer
The climate rite is a decent unit but it's not without issues. The heat becomes useless below 30° and if you run any significant washboard it'll throw codes for the A/C later that night. It really needs to sit 48hrs after washboard before it works properly. That's with it riding in the back of the jeep where it's smoother anyhow. The a/c works great when there are no codes causing a malfunction though. For heat, honestly I think a small ceramic space heater is better and easier to use instead of dragging along the giant, heavy climate right unit and much easier to setup/breakdown. With insulated floor, walls and ceilings it'll be very easy to heat.

2x3 frame, 11ga is more than strong enough. My trailers run 2x2 11ga and have been put through the wringer with no issues.

The timbren axles are very, very nice. No way I'd go with a traditional axle as long as these are available. They ride so much smoother and absorb washboard like it's nothing.

Check out my webpage in my signature below for some build pics etc for some ideas if you'd like.

Sb_Moto

Adventurer
You might be interested in my build thread. I made the fenders inside the camper so the mattress curves around them.

If you are interested I might sell my project as is.

KC10Chief

My wife and I built a small camper last winter that has a lot of what you are looking for. We actually went for a window AC over the climate for ease of setup. Our Honda EU2000 will power the 5k btu for over 10 hours on a single tank of gas. Here's the link to my build. Let me know if you have any questions

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/156288-M1102-Overgrown-Teardrop-Thingamajig-Build

Thanks for another great thread! I just read through the whole thing. More inspiration. A friend of mine just scored a very similar trailer to yours but is unsure what he is going to do with it just yet. I sent him your link. The Honda EU2000 generators are great! When I had a full size RV, I had two of them running in parallel. I was into dirt bike racing at the time and would spend the whole weekend camping out and riding before a race. I had a five gallon gas can that I converted to feed into both generators. It would run everything for the entire weekend and I'd still have a gallon or two left. That was running two generators! They're quiet too. I'd get up sometimes and have to look outside to see if they were still running. It would be nice to use just one of them!

I went today and picked up a bottle for my welder. I've done some welding before but never with the Argon. I'm looking forward to trying it out. I'm also about to order a Makita metal cutting saw. I used to have an abrasive chop saw and it wasn't very good. The Makita is over $400. It's on my Amazon wish list. I'm drinking a few beers though so I can just get up the nerve to order it. Sober me knows what drunk me will order. But drunk me knows what sober me likes. It works out.

rnArmy

Adventurer
Most campgrounds have "quiet hour" starting around 2200. That means turn your generators off (and be quiet; considerate of others). Along with being the rule, that's just common courtesy. Just because you can't hear it (the generator) while inside your trailer or motor home doesn't mean folks camping in tents can't hear it perfectly well. When folks are out camping, they want to hear silence or nature; not someone's gas engine generator running (or TV or stereo blaring). I don't care how quiet you think it is, in the middle of the night in a campground the sound travels. Don't be "that guy" who ruins it for others who are trying to get away for the night or the weekend or for a week or more. And it doesn't have to be a campground; it can be an area that is popular for camping.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger