I need to upgrade my truck to a 250/2500

No Ma

Wonderer
Something else to consider between 2500 and 3500 is gas vs diesel, in some cases a lightly optioned gas 2500 is probably approaching the payload of a fully decked out diesel 3500. I've seen some Ram 2500 diesel's that were sub 2000k payload - I wanna say getting a gas gets you ~800 lbs of additional payload....

My 4x4 Tradesman 2500 Hemi is 3200 as a FYI
Our base truck is a Ram 3500 Big Horn / 4x4 / crewcab / 6'4" box. The payload capacity of this base configuration with the 6.4 hemi is 4250 lbs and 4060 lbs with the standard output Cummins.

I searched around before we ordered and there is about a 570 lb diff between the 6.4 gas and the 6.7 diesel engine-only weights.

nickw

Adventurer
Our base truck is a Ram 3500 Big Horn / 4x4 / crewcab / 6'4" box. The payload capacity of this base configuration with the 6.4 hemi is 4250 lbs and 4060 lbs with the standard output Cummins.

I searched around before we ordered and there is about a 570 lb diff between the 6.4 gas and the 6.7 diesel engine-only weights.
Are those payloads based on door stickers or online literature? There is generally a huge discrepancy between posted and actual payloads......

I did some research on some of the forums and rooted around at dealerships, it's hard to find like for like rigs, but the payload differences I saw were a lot more than the ~200lbs. Are the GVWR the same between the two?

No Ma

Wonderer
Are those payloads based on door stickers or online literature? There is generally a huge discrepancy between posted and actual payloads......

I did some research on some of the forums and rooted around at dealerships, it's hard to find like for like rigs, but the payload differences I saw were a lot more than the ~200lbs. Are the GVWR the same between the two?
Those numbers are from the online Ram towing/payload config site. On the site, our truck is rated at 4060 lbs. We added dual alternators, transfer case skid plate, rear wheel well liners, bed liner, block heater and a decent (but not top of line) set of interior options. That cut our payload to 4009 lbs. Given our add-ons, the 4060 lbs listing for the base model is pretty close to actual.

In our config of crew cab, 4x4, short box, the GVWR for gas engines is 11,000. The GVWR for diesel is increased to 11,800. There's no option on that one, it's based on your choice of gas or diesel engines.

nickw

Adventurer
Those numbers are from the online Ram towing/payload config site. On the site, our truck is rated at 4060 lbs. We added dual alternators, transfer case skid plate, rear wheel well liners, bed liner, block heater and a decent (but not top of line) set of interior options. That cut our payload to 4009 lbs. Given our add-ons, the 4060 lbs listing for the base model is pretty close to actual.

In our config of crew cab, 4x4, short box, the GVWR for gas engines is 11,000. The GVWR for diesel is increased to 11,800. There's no option on that one, it's based on your choice of gas or diesel engines.
Interesting, so they get around the payload capacity issue by bumping up the GVWR on the diesels....wonder if that is just a springs or there are some structural upgrades too?

I have a base Tradesman 2500 w/6.4 and I am right at 3200 lbs, some of the diesel 2500's were low 2000's.....so based on that I'd guess the diesel 2500's have the same GVWR.

ricoisme26

Agree with RAM5500CAMPERTHING, you've gotta get behind the wheel and drive them. You may find something trivial to others that makes or breaks it for you.

As for availability - I only follow Ford - word on the forums is 2023 Superduty order banks will open very soon (perhaps Thurs) and it could be a reduced MY production run with continued limited supply for some items. Might sell out so may not want to wait too long if you want to order new.

OTOH, there could be more near-new trucks coming up for resale in the near future ...
my BIL is a salesman at a Ford dealership, said they are only being allotted 11 superduty trucks for 2023. Already have 16 people waiting to order so they are going to have to turn people away or work to send them elsewhere. We are in a rather rural area (~350k people in the county, 6000 in town which is the county seat) so take the abysmal inventory with a grain of salt but the key is that they are limiting dealerships on inventory likely based on previous volume of sales and more likely location

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Agree with RAM5500CAMPERTHING, you've gotta get behind the wheel and drive them. You may find something trivial to others that makes or breaks it for you.

As for availability - I only follow Ford - word on the forums is 2023 Superduty order banks will open very soon (perhaps Thurs) and it could be a reduced MY production run with continued limited supply for some items. Might sell out so may not want to wait too long if you want to order new.

OTOH, there could be more near-new trucks coming up for resale in the near future ...
On that note, the 2023 Super Duty is different than the 2022. So, might want to wait till you can drive a 2023 model.
The base engine is now a 6.8L V8 instead of the 6.2L V8 as well.
Personally, I'd order a 2023 over a 2022. Lots of changes that to me are benefits. Of course, your priorities may differ from mine.

But, as stated drive them all and see what you like. I can think of pros and cons for each, Ford, GM Twins and Ram.

tacollie

Glamper
I don't know about ram or GM but it is a bad time to be looking at a super duty. Ford is way behind on MY 2022 deliveries. A lot of them are getting rolled over into 2023 model year. They just pushed back opening the order backs another 2 weeks. The 2023 model year starts production in January. My MY 2019 originally left the lot in early November of 2018.

I'm still skeptical of all the tech on the newer trucks. My brother has a 19' King Ranch F350 that has had lots of problems that I haven't with my 19' XLT. All of his problems have been related to features my truck doesn't have. I do have to admit those heated and cooled massage seats are nice?

ricoisme26

I don't know about ram or GM but it is a bad time to be looking at a super duty. Ford is way behind on MY 2022 deliveries. A lot of them are getting rolled over into 2023 model year. They just pushed back opening the order backs another 2 weeks. The 2023 model year starts production in January. My MY 2019 originally left the lot in early November of 2018.

I'm still skeptical of all the tech on the newer trucks. My brother has a 19' King Ranch F350 that has had lots of problems that I haven't with my 19' XLT. All of his problems have been related to features my truck doesn't have. I do have to admit those heated and cooled massage seats are nice?

I'm on the fence, skeptical of the tech's reliability and the new XLTs are options like Lariat and King Ranch trucks from as little as 4 years ago... But I sill like the appeal of a 12" screen LED lighting etc. Not in a hurry think I'm going to keep my F150 a while longer, maybe if things "normalize" in a few years and the new 6.8 is truly a more efficient version of the 7.3 (or similar efficiency at a more appealing price point) I'd make the jump.

No need for fancy back up assists, off road gadgets, or other do-dads. Heated seats, a back up camera, touch screen radio display, and intelligent access with push button start would be nice to haves.

Rovertrader

Supporting Sponsor
I’m glad I sold my ‘13 F350 ( ie: all HVAC, heat/cool seats, etc via touch screen only) as I had longevity concerns with said controls. Loved the truck, CCSB, SRW, 6.2, Icon Stage 4, etc, but I bought a new ‘20 loaded up 150 Lariat as it was the end of gen 10 trucks. Point being, over the years/decades, it was common knowledge to avoid first year new gen vehicles. I believe that to be even more prudent with all the changes in technology each year/model these days, regardless of manufacturer…

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
I’m glad I sold my ‘13 F350 ( ie: all HVAC, heat/cool seats, etc via touch screen only) as I had longevity concerns with said controls. Loved the truck, CCSB, SRW, 6.2, Icon Stage 4, etc, but I bought a new ‘20 loaded up 150 Lariat as it was the end of gen 10 trucks. Point being, over the years/decades, it was common knowledge to avoid first year new gen vehicles. I believe that to be even more prudent with all the changes in technology each year/model these days, regardless of manufacturer…
Meh. My 2015 F150 (1st year of gen 13) was fine. Just traded it for a '22 F150. @ricoisme26 it's an XLT that has 12" screen, LED's, Heated seats, a back up camera, touch screen radio display, and intelligent access with push button start. Seems the right mix for me.

Also had a '14 Jeep Cherokee, no issues. I *think* those are the only two that were 1st year models?

Nope. I was wrong. Also had a '99 Grand Cherokee WJ. 4.0L That was another first year. Funny enough the only things non maintenance I had to do on the F150 and WJ was that both their water pumps went out.

ricoisme26

Meh. My 2015 F150 (1st year of gen 13) was fine. Just traded it for a '22 F150. @ricoisme26 it's an XLT that has 12" screen, LED's, Heated seats, a back up camera, touch screen radio display, and intelligent access with push button start. Seems the right mix for me.

Also had a '14 Jeep Cherokee, no issues. I *think* those are the only two that were 1st year models?

Nope. I was wrong. Also had a '99 Grand Cherokee WJ. 4.0L That was another first year. Funny enough the only things non maintenance I had to do on the F150 and WJ was that both their water pumps went out.
my 2012 XLT has less in the way of options than new XLs have standard. Hoping the new Superduty trucks follow suit and the XLTs have the options you listed on your XLT F150 above. I'm still inbetween the two for when the time come to buy a new truck, 1/2 ton or 3/4-1ton but available options may sway me if it means not needing to bump to lariat trim or above

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
my 2012 XLT has less in the way of options than new XLs have standard. Hoping the new Superduty trucks follow suit and the XLTs have the options you listed on your XLT F150 above. I'm still inbetween the two for when the time come to buy a new truck, 1/2 ton or 3/4-1ton but available options may sway me if it means not needing to bump to lariat trim or above
Looks like it may be Lariat and up. Kinda surprised. I thought they would keep trim level equipment consistent.

Screenshot 2022-10-27 094523.png

Screenshot 2022-10-27 094152.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998