I need to upgrade my truck to a 250/2500

Part of the problem with the Tundra is Toyota left then unchanged for so long.
That’s a feature not a bug, IMO. I can’t stand what new vehicles have turned into. iPhones on wheels. I’ll gladly get 3 less mpg than the rest of the segment (baby diesels and hybrids notwithstanding) to never have to deal with any issues.

I’m on skinny 35s (285/75s) and have no issues with gearing. I keep an OBD reader open and monitor temps and trans lockup. It’s just smooth. I’m not towing heavy with any regularity though.

Please keep us updated with how your F250 treats you. If I ever need more payload, I’ll be jumping to an HD truck.

The F250 6spd with 3.73 is actually geared slightly lower than the Tundra with 4.3, and engine specs are pretty close... the 6.2 has 7% more torque at 3800 vs 3600 rpm. I'll have to see what happens when I get the camper on, but so far I haven't experienced gear hunting. Lots of long grades, and I don't think the truck would know the difference between going up hill and any other load. Average >17 mpg on the freeway, with 35s and a 2.5" front lift. I see a lot of complaints about gear hunting though, and I don't understand why that should happen with powerful engines that have gobs of torque. If it was hunting on the freeway I think I'd just put it in 5th, which is the same as 6th with 5.29s. A regear mostly effects 1st gear (otherwise the transmission can just downshift)... unless the computer is getting confused for some reason and slipping the transmission all the time? There is also tow-haul mode which changes shift behavior. :unsure:
My Tundra is a completely different truck in T/H mode. And the nice thing about the 5.7 is that it makes 90% of max torque at 2200 rpm. I know others outperform it today, bit It was way ahead of its time and generally bulletproof.

tacollie

Glamper
That’s a feature not a bug, IMO. I can’t stand what new vehicles have turned into. iPhones on wheels. I’ll gladly get 3 less mpg than the rest of the segment (baby diesels and hybrids notwithstanding) to never have to deal with any issues.
Agreed. That's why I bought a truck that is running an old power terrain with the exception of the transmission. I like proven tools. My Tundra had 87k miles when I bought it and my F250 had 86k. Both needed suspension work. My wife and I really liked our Tundra and we really like the F250. They both have downsides but we have no regrets at this point going to the F250.

rruff

Explorer
Been doing some internet research and don't find many complaints about the Tundra gear hunting. Lots on the 3.5L Tacoma though! Part of it is probably trying optimize for the EPA mpg test... and in other scenarios the shift mapping is dysfunctional, and sucks more gas. HD trucks don't have to worry about the EPA, so that is one bonus.

So far I've been fine with the shifting, but the AI throttle mapping was atrocious. That was an easy fix, but if the shifting becomes an issue it won't be. Looks like a tune or regear would be needed.

Slocral46

I will be taking delivery on a Hallmark Milner in about a year. My current truck is a 2007 Toyota Tundra with 170k miles. Best vehicle I’ve ever owned. Unfortunately, the weight of the Milner with passengers and camping equipment will exceed my cargo capacity. I’m looking at upgrading to a 3/4 ton for the extra capacity and less stress. What are folks thoughts on Chevrolet, Ford and Ram trucks and their availability. I guess Ram Trucks are currently more available. I know this is probably a very subjective question.
Hope the truck search is going well. Did the the 3/4 ton truck shopping tour recently. Waiting for a Ram 2500 Diesel the we ordered. For our uses the cummins torque and the length of the truck with the 6'4" box and crew cab fit the bill among other things. The six speed transmission is dated but adequate. Reasonable wait time on the order (3-5 months). General Motors builds an excellent gas V8 like the 6.2 vortec. My opinion a better engine than the ram hemi (owned 1 for 6 years). Ford has a long wait time on diesel orders. They have expanded their gas V8 options. You can't really go wrong with any of these trucks. I did consider the 1/2 ton GM 3.0 turbodiesel. Amazing performance for the size of the engine. It may not have the payload that you need though. I like the innovation of the new tundra hybrid as well. Just some rambling that might be food for thought.

TexasSixSeven

Observer
Been doing some internet research and don't find many complaints about the Tundra gear hunting. Lots on the 3.5L Tacoma though! Part of it is probably trying optimize for the EPA mpg test... and in other scenarios the shift mapping is dysfunctional, and sucks more gas. HD trucks don't have to worry about the EPA, so that is one bonus.

So far I've been fine with the shifting, but the AI throttle mapping was atrocious. That was an easy fix, but if the shifting becomes an issue it won't be. Looks like a tune or regear would be needed.

I’ve got 146K on my 19’ Tundra right now that’s my daily driver/company ride. I’ve had two other Tundras before this one. They all gear hunt bad. They’re reliable as the day is long, but that’s the only good thing I have to say about them. Ive got a 22’ Tundra should be arriving soon. I hope it’s as reliable as these have been, but a way more comfortable and pleasant to drive lol

They all gear hunt bad.
Are you towing with them all the time? Or do you drive 75-80 on steep grades? I would think it’s pretty flat in Texas, though.

Mine will unlock the TC going uphill when cruising under 70mph, maybe shift to 5th if it’s steep. I have the standard 5.7/6speed/4.30rear.

Those 10 speeds are smooth, but they shift far more often.

TexasSixSeven

Observer
Are you towing with them all the time? Or do you drive 75-80 on steep grades? I would think it’s pretty flat in Texas, though.

Mine will unlock the TC going uphill when cruising under 70mph, maybe shift to 5th if it’s steep. I have the standard 5.7/6speed/4.30rear.

Those 10 speeds are smooth, but they shift far more often.

I typically don’t tow with my Tundra, but occasionally do. Majority of my miles are in flat west Texas, although it does see some mountains semi regularly. I’m headed home from South Texas right now trying to maintain 80, and the gear hunting is atrocious. No trailer, maybe 500 lbs in the bed, and my luggage in the backseat.

I typically don’t tow with my Tundra, but occasionally do. Majority of my miles are in flat west Texas, although it does see some mountains semi regularly. I’m headed home from South Texas right now trying to maintain 80, and the gear hunting is atrocious. No trailer, maybe 500 lbs in the bed, and my luggage in the backseat.
Weird. What gears is it hunting between? I mean I could see if your TC is locking and unlocking in 6th. Cruising at 80mph in Tennessee—which has lots of hills and long grades, my truck never sees 5th gear unless I floor it to pass someone.

Edited to add: what you’re describing sounds exactly what everyone says about a 3rd Gen Tacoma, not a 5.7L Tundra with a 4.30 rear end.

Last edited:

TGlide

I will be taking delivery on a Hallmark Milner in about a year. My current truck is a 2007 Toyota Tundra with 170k miles. Best vehicle I’ve ever owned. Unfortunately, the weight of the Milner with passengers and camping equipment will exceed my cargo capacity. I’m looking at upgrading to a 3/4 ton for the extra capacity and less stress. What are folks thoughts on Chevrolet, Ford and Ram trucks and their availability. I guess Ram Trucks are currently more available. I know this is probably a very subjective question.
OK, I found a 2020 F 250 with 60k miles. Assuming they are mostly highway. It will give my wife and I some peace of mind. There are many campers with Tundras that are carrying Hallmark Milners. It was the 170k miles and the fact that I had a 4.7l engine that I was concerned about.

Attachments

• 5934B104-4BCE-4134-83AF-D9DEF6B1EE9D.jpeg
    5934B104-4BCE-4134-83AF-D9DEF6B1EE9D.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 8
Last edited:

TGlide

100% Absolutely

I've been a Toyota guy my entire life and owned one of almost every single model except for the 55 and 200 series.

It was a HARDDD decision to go Domestic for my current setup, but there simply werent any other options
That was the difficult choice we faced. I do feel like we have more peace of mind with the F 250 or any other 3/4 ton truck.

calicamper

Expedition Leader

I’m on skinny 35s (285/75s) and have no issues with gearing. I keep an OBD reader open and monitor temps and trans lockup. It’s just smooth. I’m not towing heavy with any regularity though.

Please keep us updated with how your F250 treats you. If I ever need more payload, I’ll be jumping to an HD truck.
? my Sequoia was just shy of 300hp and in town did a solid 12mpg. 5600lb wdh max load. Road trips it did a solid 15mpg average at 70-75. My Iphone on wheels Expedition gets a solid 17mpg in town kid hauling and 21-23mpg road trips. 400hp 9200lb max rated and has a rear Elocker the Sequoia didn’t and yes I got stuck a few times thanks to that little oversight.

All my Toyota’s were very brake hungry. My 4runner, J80, and the Sequoia. My ranger definitely not I ran it 80,000 miles on a set of pads zero issues, tossed new pads on and kept going. My Subarus towed and hauled heavy I did pads only every 45,000 no issues with the discs.

So far the Expedition brakes are really good but the new 10spd and the 3.5 definitely don’t have engine braking like my past vehicles so will be interesting to see what I get out of the pads. But so far at 30,000 it’s looking like they have my sequoia beat by about 25,000 possibly 30k on pad life.

? my Sequoia was just shy of 300hp and in town did a solid 12mpg. 5600lb wdh max load. Road trips it did a solid 15mpg average at 70-75. My Iphone on wheels Expedition gets a solid 17mpg in town kid hauling and 21-23mpg road trips. 400hp 9200lb max rated and has a rear Elocker the Sequoia didn’t and yes I got stuck a few times thanks to that little oversight.

All my Toyota’s were very brake hungry. My 4runner, J80, and the Sequoia. My ranger definitely not I ran it 80,000 miles on a set of pads zero issues, tossed new pads on and kept going. My Subarus towed and hauled heavy I did pads only every 45,000 no issues with the discs.

So far the Expedition brakes are really good but the new 10spd and the 3.5 definitely don’t have engine braking like my past vehicles so will be interesting to see what I get out of the pads. But so far at 30,000 it’s looking like they have my sequoia beat by about 25,000 possibly 30k on pad life.
1st gen Sequoia, I assume?

My brakes are still good at @35k; time will tell how they hold up.

I would never in a million years drive an EcoBoost Expedition. This study is mostly why. But also, the three people I know with them have problems. Mostly smaller, annoying issues, but two have the dreaded 10speed clunk where it feels like the transmission has broken in half under the truck. And one guy (his is a 2019) just had the cam phaser issue fixed under warranty. He had it fixed after Ford said they fixed them for good, and all new EBs will not have the problem. The noise was back almost immediately, and the service manager at his dealership shrugged at him and said they’re all like that.

New features and better MPG are nice, but I still think that if you want to get out to very remote places and come home every time, older Toyotas are your best bet. The trade off is lower payload and poor fuel economy. If I end up needing more payload because we start pulling a much larger boat or some giant glamper, I will have to say goodbye to the Tundra.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle