I ordered a Defender today!!!!!!!

ajctraveler

Observer
Be sure and post lots of pictures of the truck and your journey.

I'm a photographer, so that won't be an issue..

The link to my Facebook page for my journey is below, but I'm sure I'll start a running thread here once I take delivery.

Like I said, Foley's.

They give very "Sheppardian" advice when it comes to overlanding. No lifts, no extensive mods, keep it as stock as possible. With the winch, depends where you're going if you even need one. Factory one will probably do just fine, might get a better deal on an aftermarket one, or alternatively a more specific design. I believe factory LR Winches are Warn's, so atleast a widespread, well known brand.

Foley's will also set you up with a spares package with everything relevant. Also, if you can spend a few days with them, they'll go through your vehicle with you and train you to do the basic checks and maintanance operations. Nothing beats the hands-on experience with experienced and well qualified people looking over your shoulder.

BTW, I'm not affiliated with them in any other way apart from just being an extremely satisfied customer. They're terrific people in a world of one-up-ism and overpreparation.

I spoke to Stuart earlier and I get the sense that he's going to be a great resource and a pleasure to deal with. The idea of going over the vehicle with them is a great one and I will definitely address it a little further down the road. Thanks

Steve UK

Adventurer
Hello,

Your plans sound just great! We have just returned from a 3 week holiday, mainly Namibia but a little Zambia and Botswana. We rented a 2012 Puma engined Defender and it was superb. As everyone has said keep it as standard as possible.

One thing I would suggest is to let the dealership know of your plans, an African spec Defender may be different to a UK spec? I think the DPF filter may not be fitted as the local fuel quality could give problems.

Are you in the UK in October? there is a show on in the Midlands, plenty of people to speak to in one place. Some quite knowledgeable travel people are attending. I am going, probably going to camp too. http://www.adventureoverlandshow.com/

Here is a picture of the Defender we had as we passed Mount Brandenburg in Namibia, Africa was brilliant. My ambition one day is to drive from UK to South Africa at a leisurely pace.

attachment.php

ajctraveler

Observer
Are you in the UK in October? there is a show on in the Midlands, plenty of people to speak to in one place. Some quite knowledgeable travel people are attending. I am going, probably going to camp too. http://www.adventureoverlandshow.com/
]

Thanks for the tip, I will do my best to be there. If I think I'm going to make it then I'll let you know beforehand. It's in my calendar though.

Awesome picture, I can't wait to get back to Africa.

ajctraveler

Observer
Me too, been back 3 day now :-(

PM me if you go and I will look out for you.

Steve

What I'd really like to do is set up a karting team. That was the first thing that caught my eye actually.. haha. Overlanding and 4x4's are relatively new to me, but racing... Racing, I know

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
On the topic of winches, I'd seriously consider a hydraulic winch run off the transfer case PTO. But it sort of depends on how water impacts the current diesels. Stalling, or something shorting out, during a water crossing would be a reason to go with an electric. On a 300Tdi or older diesel that's not really an issue so I'd choose a hydraulic in that case. The newer diesel may or may not make that a riskier choice.
Also, the terrain you expect to cover could impact your choice. If you're likely to find yourself somewhere on dirt during the rainy season you could end up having to do a lot of winching and a hydraulic would probably serve you better since they are 100% duty cycle.

LR Max

Local Oaf
I just checked out/look around in a Discovery that has been around the world and here is what I noticed:

-They used stock tire sizes. They did go with an aggressive tire tread but nothing larger. Never had a problem. Also they had stock suspension. The nice thing about this combo is that it keeps the overall height of the vehicle low so putting it into containers isn't an issue.
-Roof Top tent and awning. Seemed to be very nice to have. Oh and they had a roof rack.
-2 burner propane stove built into the rear door, folded up when not in use. Very nice.
-Had a cage that separated the front two seats from the cargo area (had the rear seats removed). Also all the windows in the back had security "nets" (made out of steel) over all the rear windows.
-They had two drawers. One for camping gear, looks like camping stove and compact sleeping bags took up most of the space. The other drawer had very basic spare parts. Fuel pump, radiator hoses, some fluids, etc.
-40 gallon tank installed for the stock tank. They also had 1 5 gallon can on the rear bumper. Apparently this is all they needed (vehicle had a low compression V8 gasser engine)
-Basic recovery gear. Electric winch out front, strap, a couple of shackles, hi-lift on the rear, and sand ladders on the roof rack. Good to go.
-Big fridge/freezer.
-Rubber boots (I can only imagine these being useful!)

But yeah, super basic, and that truck HAS been around the world! Personally, I think you need to try to go as light as possible. Will be easier since you don't have crap everywhere and your truck is lighter. I'm a big fan of winches and aggressive tread tires but that and maybe some armor on the underside are all you REALLY need. Keep in mind you'll be spending most of your time on pavement.

Good luck with the outfit! I wish I had known you were going to do this trip. The above vehicle mentioned is for sale!

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
-They used stock tire sizes. They did go with an aggressive tire tread but nothing larger. Never had a problem. Also they had stock suspension. The nice thing about this combo is that it keeps the overall height of the vehicle low so putting it into containers isn't an issue.
Yup. I think a lot of people forget that there was a lot of overlanding done in Series Land Rovers on a much higher percentage of bad roads (a lot of the earth has been paved since the 60's & 70's).
The only comment I have on springs is I'd select springs of the heavy duty nature sufficient to keep the overall height pretty stock yet still support the GVW once the vehicle is loaded.

I Leak Oil

Expedition Leader
I'm just green with jealousy that he can walk down the street and buy a brand new D110. No rust, no leaks (yet), no importation B.S. If this was truely the land of the free I could go do the same....sigh....

Glenn C

Observer
I'm just green with jealousy that he can walk down the street and buy a brand new D110 QUOTE]

Well Said there sir.

First off congrats on the defender im really jealous, just one thing I will say and Im not saying this 100% but if you add aftermarket bumpers tyres springs etc etc that are not approved landrover parts you void the vehicles warranty , read that in a landrover mag article bout an overlanding Disco 4 he had to stick to lr approved kit so he couldn modify his truck more than s et of muds(lr approved) and a warn winch(again LR approved) the only approved mud terrain tyre fro LR is the goodyear wrangler MT just a thought im sure if im wrong ill be corrected but I would strongly suggest checking that out

ajctraveler

Observer
I just checked out/look around in a Discovery that has been around the world and here is what I noticed:

-Roof Top tent and awning. Seemed to be very nice to have. Oh and they had a roof rack.
-2 burner propane stove built into the rear door, folded up when not in use. Very nice.
-Had a cage that separated the front two seats from the cargo area (had the rear seats removed). Also all the windows in the back had security "nets" (made out of steel) over all the rear windows.
-They had two drawers. One for camping gear, looks like camping stove and compact sleeping bags took up most of the space. The other drawer had very basic spare parts. Fuel pump, radiator hoses, some fluids, etc.
-40 gallon tank installed for the stock tank. They also had 1 5 gallon can on the rear bumper. Apparently this is all they needed (vehicle had a low compression V8 gasser engine)
-Basic recovery gear. Electric winch out front, strap, a couple of shackles, hi-lift on the rear, and sand ladders on the roof rack. Good to go.
-Big fridge/freezer.
-Rubber boots (I can only imagine these being useful!)

But yeah, super basic, and that truck HAS been around the world! Personally, I think you need to try to go as light as possible. Will be easier since you don't have crap everywhere and your truck is lighter. I'm a big fan of winches and aggressive tread tires but that and maybe some armor on the underside are all you REALLY need. Keep in mind you'll be spending most of your time on pavement.

Good luck with the outfit! I wish I had known you were going to do this trip. The above vehicle mentioned is for sale!

Great advice, thank you so much for taking the time.

I'm just green with jealousy that he can walk down the street and buy a brand new D110. No rust, no leaks (yet), no importation B.S. If this was truely the land of the free I could go do the same....sigh....

Yeah, not having airbags sort of makes it a problem in the states.. I'm from New York, but I'm getting the car in England where it's possible to register a car as a non-resident.

Well Said there sir.

First off congrats on the defender im really jealous, just one thing I will say and Im not saying this 100% but if you add aftermarket bumpers tyres springs etc etc that are not approved landrover parts you void the vehicles warranty , read that in a landrover mag article bout an overlanding Disco 4 he had to stick to lr approved kit so he couldn modify his truck more than s et of muds(lr approved) and a warn winch(again LR approved) the only approved mud terrain tyre fro LR is the goodyear wrangler MT just a thought im sure if im wrong ill be corrected but I would strongly suggest checking that out

You'll buy it soon enough. I got my delivery date and I will be picking up the car on 22 October!!!

As far as the warranty goes, I will have that voided within about a week of ownership. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears