I really wished I could buy gullwings waith a box to my JK unlimited

Omar Brannstrom

Adventurer
Hi

Im dont really understund why no makes gullwings and a box to Jeep Wrangler unlimited, it would be awesome for small kitchen stuff or other things. I dont normally use that space close to the window anyway.
X
Here is a Jeep owner that have done one http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=339805&d=1426842051

I do understand the space would not be the same but there are space for a small box there close to the window.

Look here at Landrover Defender

Here http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=287203&d=1401728636 and here http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=284179&d=1400412774

Land-Rover-Defender-110-with-Overland-Kit-showing-food-cupboard.jpg

03.jpg

JeepSafariDigest

Seeker of Lost Trails
The idea/concept is being toyed with by jscherb and a few others.. But think outside the box.. and contact RV or Travel Trailer manufacturers.. They incorporate these side door compartments onto and into their designs.. it might be hard to find one that would fit without to many alterations done to the wrangler side rear window and this is something we will explore ourselves.

I believe in the images above.. a simple RV style compartment was added.. then a home made shelving system installed thereafter.

Google Search: "RV Compartments" and this would give one a general idea of what direction they need to take to make something like this a reality.

http://www.pellandent.com/RV_Products_List.aspx?CategoryID=97

Last edited:

TexasSpeedRacer

I am working with a fiberglass fabricator here in the Austin area on this. I bought another (used) Hardtop to modify in to this. My goal is to have a solution very similar to these Gullwings. Life Changes and career change have slowed the progress but I am shooting for mid-summer to have a solution.

Kmrtnsn

Explorer
The distance from the rollbar to the window inside the hardtop does't leave much space for this kind of contraption. The Land Rover does not have a rollbar near its rear window, hence unlimited space for spacious exterior accessible cupboards.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
The distance from the rollbar to the window inside the hardtop does't leave much space for this kind of contraption. The Land Rover does not have a rollbar near its rear window, hence unlimited space for spacious exterior accessible cupboards.

I did a mockup in cardboard; the mockup shows how a box would have to be contoured on the inside to fit around the roll bar. I'm thinking of doing fiberglass boxes inside a cargo window on my current hardtop project.

CompartmentMockup2_zpsa89c06f2.jpg

CompartmentMockup3_zps5a58c9ca.jpg

I'm using inexpensive RV cargo hatches in the hardtop sides. I've got the hatch installed to swing down and serve as a table in these photos, but it could also be installed the other way to swing up like a gull wing.

SidePanelCargo2_zpsxwdlhuez.jpg

SidePanelCargo1_zpsbwxad98y.jpg

Septu

Explorer
I would suspect that with the lack of depth behind the window due to the rollbar, most companies do not see the value in designing, then manufacturing a product that will then retail for $400+ (at least) for such a small area of useable space. Now if you'd redesigned your roll cage (like Grecy did) then yeah, suddenly there's a lot of options for something like that.

lysol

Explorer
I'm curious of Top removal with this installed. Would you have to remove the box before taking the top off?

Nevermind... lol It's multi-piece jscherb's top... so no issues there lol.

** But if installed on a standard JK top, wouldn't it catch on the roll bar when lifting the top straight up?

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I'm curious of Top removal with this installed. Would you have to remove the box before taking the top off?

Nevermind... lol It's multi-piece jscherb's top... so no issues there lol.

** But if installed on a standard JK top, wouldn't it catch on the roll bar when lifting the top straight up?

Correct, on my hardtop, no big deal because the side panels can be removed separately.

My design for the box has it in two pieces - the back piece wouldn't have to be removed in order for a factory top to come off, but the front would be easily removable so the top could come off.

Im4duke

Observer
I would buy an option to have removable glass, no boxes. Then I would ditch my soft top and be happy all year round.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12