I think I decided on a DSLR...advice?

ChuckB

Expedition Leader
I pulled the trigger!

Well, this weekend I finally made the leap and purchased a camera. Common sense(my wife :bowdown: ) got the better of me... I ended up with a Nikon D50 instead of the D80 which I got on sale with the kit lense 18-55. I decided with the money that I save I will buy a nice zoom lense with vibration reduction and then I'll be good to go. When I finally get some pictures worthy of posting I'll show them off.

Can any one explain how Nikon designates their lenses? Is "ED" the higher end stuff?

TIA.

cruiser guy

Explorer
I have had Nikon's for years and recently made the switch to digital with a D1. I can agree with others that under low light the D1 is TERRIBLE! Tons of "noise".
Does anyone know if the later models are better? What about the other Nikon digital bodies? I don't NEED the D1 (I used the Nikkormat bodies with film). I got it initially because of it's "backwards" compatibility but that is no longer an issue.
I do need compatibility with the 12-24, 24-120 VR and the 80-400 VR having sold ALL my manual focus cameras and lenses as well as film stocks over the last few months to purchase these (pretty much even trade!!).

bigreen505

Expedition Leader
The D1 is extremely old technology. Pretty much anything would be better. D70, D800, probably D100, definitely D200. If you go searching for cameras note that the D2Hs is a much better beast than the D2 and you will probably see most of that advantage at high ISO.

cruiser guy

Explorer
The new DSLR's are still WAY out of my very limited price range. What would be a recommendation on a GOOD Nikon DSLR under say $500-600 compatible with the lenses I have previously listed.
I know the lenses are higher end and they were financed from the sale of my manual focus lenses so no real cash outlay there.
I need either additional batteries/memory and be satisfied with the D1 or upgrade.
My requirements are: little delay in taking the picture (I'll use follow focus for instant use it that works), full compatibility with my lenses (all Nikkor AF lenses), decent battery life (I do have an inverter so recharging in the truck works), better low light capability and a smaller size (so that it's not so "professional" looking).
I figure I can get from $300 and up for the D1 on Ebay so I can add up to an additional $300 or so.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior