I y'all to help me out w/ some gen2.5 or gen 1 choices

Jamacee

Observer
So awhile back I was on here trying to decide between a 2nd gen Trooper 5spd or Montero (all gen). So now I have a 96 trooper 5spd. I love the truck but the more I read about Monty's in general the more I want one. So here is my dilemma....

Someone is interested in my Trooper.

I looked at this 98 Gen 2.5 Winter package 135k $2500

Pros: 98 with a winter package and 135k for 2500 :wings: The locker and awd/CDL, 4hi, 4lo, 2hi all seem to work. Interior is in great shape

Con: Unknown condition of TB, Sunroof does not roll back but motor moves, cracked windshield needs to be replaced, Needs tires ( I saw 31x10.50 on back, drivers front tire is a 265, passenger front is a 30x10.50???) This I believe is why it shuddered so bad during test drive. There is a wire under dash that was cut and dangling. IIRC it was a red/green/white/black and sheathed and I have no idea where it comes from, The battery was dead the day before and they charged it that night and put it in for me to test but I know that battery isn't the correct size for the truck, Truck loped for a minute when I cranked it and set off then it stalled and then it stalled again at low RPM while turning around. I am not sure if it was because they just set the battery in there and put the cables on but did not tighten them down onto battery.

Truck was recently purchased at auction but the PO lived near me and it was sold new at local Mitsu dealer. This guy had a mechanic friend redo the VC gaskets and Valve seal. The top of motor is dry but the the bottom is wet like it had a bad VCG leak and they didn't clean it after fixing it.

I know for sure I want a 2.5 now that I have been in one but not sure about this one. I can afford the vehicle but after getting new used tires then I should do the TB/Water pump and my reserves maybe tapped out.

Then I came across this 90 Gen 1 3.0 5spd $1700 - from the pics it is fairly clean, I am sure it will need some maintenance. It is in Knoxville and I am in ATL. I would have to buy it site unseen and kinda commit b/c I sold my truck.

My wife has a expedition w/ a third row my plan was to get a gen2.5 and then convince her to sell the expedition and give her the Monty as the family truckster and get to mod it for family adventures. There are 5 of us and sometimes our dogs. I will be DD it for who knows how long. My needs are simple. I just need to lay down the seats and fit the same amount of tools that I can fit in my trooper and put car seats in when tools aren't in it.

Help me think myself out of this circle I am in.:smilies27:smilies27

Attachments

• photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    166.8 KB · Views: 24
  • photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 29

limp_noodle

Adventurer
If you can try and talk down the number for the gen 2.5 I'd go for that. If you're certain the wet lower end was just residual oil left over from a poorly cleaned repair and it's nothing serious then it's good for you. Does he have documents out receipts for the repairs? If not then you might be able to use that as leverage for bargaining. Just come in low with an offer and back it up with all of the necessary repairs and go from there.

Good luck with the decision!!

Clem

Adventurer
Just come in low with an offer and back it up with all of the necessary repairs and go from there.

Good luck with the decision!!

x2...I really like my gen 2.5. That one looks like it has the chrome wheels so likely has the adjustable shocks too. Out here $2,500 would be a pretty good deal for 135k miles, a decent interior and valve stem seals done.

YMMV,

Clem

1morebike

Adventurer
i had to make this same decision a year ago. i went 1990 i love it but the comforts of the 2.5 would be nice. mine will never be a family hauler for a lot of reasons but i still love it. also its costing me bunch of money in repairs just trying to make up for the years of use. its been decently taken care of but its just old and a lot of crap needs to be replaced.

Jamacee

Observer
^ Exactly.

The 90 would just be my truck with ability to put car seats in. Naturally even if it is super clean I still know getting it tip top will still take some $.

Jamacee

Observer
Correction: The valve cover gaskets and some other related o-ring was replaced but seller does not know what it was.

I want a 2.5 but I may just need to pass on this until I can save some more money up.

1morebike

Adventurer
^ Exactly.

The 90 would just be my truck with ability to put car seats in. Naturally even if it is super clean I still know getting it tip top will still take some $.

speaking of seats my divers seat is in such bad shape, seats are low on the never ending list.

Jamacee

Observer
Well it appears that my buyer for the trooper fell through or no call no show and someone's driving up from mobile this morning to take a look at the vehicle so I'm in going to miss out on it just because the stars didn't lineup but the 90 is still available. Is it crazy that I am still considering it?

At this point it would just be my DD and lil work truck to haul a small pressure washing trailer around town.

I get avg. 17mpgs in my 96 3.2L trooper. What kind of mpg's could I expect from a 3.0L gen 1?

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
That 1st gen reminds me of an older Range Rover and that's not a bad thing, but far more reliable. For safety reasons alone I would hold out for the right gen 2.5, I couldn't in good conscience put my wife and child in an older rig without at least airbags, plus the heated leather seats and having the option of making a bed out of the flat seats is always nice.

Jamacee

Observer
Thanks guys. This is the conclusion I'm coming to.

I just came across a 97 SR but guy says it is a SOHC? I thought SOHC were just 98-00. Did 97 come with that option?

I like the gen 2's but the DOHC motor sounds like pain.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior