IBEX MULTI-MOUNT CARRIER FOR AEV CARRIER

Flyfishjeep

Adventurer
Very interested in the rack to add to my AEV tire carrier, but probably more interested in the 12 volt siphon for their gas tank.....the shaker just doesn't allow the last gallon or so to get out without spending a ton of time. Would the siphon be permanently mounted? Will it have an internally mounted hose that really gets to the bottom of their tank? Any pictures of the prototype? Time frame for when it will be ready?

IBEX

Observer
The thread got too popular, and.... AEV didn't like anyone playing in their sandbox. So, Dave and I agreed to close the post. Its still there, you just cannot comment. It's a very long story. And it's fine. Anyone wishing to get ahold of us, can email.

chris@ibexexpeditionary.com

Flyfishjeep

Adventurer
Any updates? I had talked to Chris in February and then nothing like you guys have dropped off the face of the earth. I would still love to get one of the Mountain Goat racks for my JK.

JeepinJon

Observer
Any updates? I had talked to Chris in February and then nothing like you guys have dropped off the face of the earth. I would still love to get one of the Mountain Goat racks for my JK.

I know on the AEV forum Ibex made the comment that AEV was bashing them to other companies leading Ibex to have a hard time marketing their product. AEV replied that they had companies calling them asking about the mount, and AEV didn't design their tire carrier to hold the extra weight, and their concern was the added weight to the tailgate, especially since it was leveraged out so far from the spindle and brackets tying it into the tailgate.

mrshish

Observer
I have lost all confidence in them. Like others, I was talking to them and then nothing. If they can't respect the customer enough to respond then they don't need my money, even if they decide to pop back up for a second time.

JeepinJon

Observer
I have lost all confidence in them. Like others, I was talking to them and then nothing. If they can't respect the customer enough to respond then they don't need my money, even if they decide to pop back up for a second time.

I was hoping that they would be around for a while because some of their products showed promise. The spare tire mounting system seemed like a good idea and I was hoping to see a ladder I could mount to a 37" spare.

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
I know on the AEV forum Ibex made the comment that AEV was bashing them to other companies leading Ibex to have a hard time marketing their product. AEV replied that they had companies calling them asking about the mount, and AEV didn't design their tire carrier to hold the extra weight, and their concern was the added weight to the tailgate, especially since it was leveraged out so far from the spindle and brackets tying it into the tailgate.

This makes a lot of sense. Most swing out carriers rest at the left side of the bumper, which does a much better job of supporting the weight on the carrier.
AEV's design won't support much more than the spare and a hi-lift, and only when it is mounted on the hinge pin side. Great for trail rides, not great for all the gear required for expedition/trail repair use.
A really cool design would be to integrate a standard swing out carrier, with something along the lines of the Teraflex hinge plate. The carrier would then be supported in a triangular configuration, which could be made very strong and very light... and most likely, very spendy.

Krytos

Adventurer
Just an FYI, I'm pretty sure these guys are out at EJS and were scrambling to finish an XJ build leading up to it.

lysol

Explorer
I thought the tire carriers that "secure" on the left side was just to latch it. Most tire carriers can only latch like this except the few that can attach to the rear door like AEV's. I don't think any weight really ever rests on these "left" latches.

wADVr

Adventurer
Hard to generalize but most carriers I have built and have used and been impressed by their ease of operation have had a small amount of preload so to speak so a loaded carrier will line up with the latch properly and open close smoothly when loaded with a tire etc. While the hinge is carrying the majority of the weight and is capable of carrying that weight, loads change with inertia on a moving vehicle over a bumpy road. The latch side does provide a substantial amount of support in these situations. To be quite honest I am surprised the rear door does so well in holding the whole enchilada shut and secure as it is designed with the AEV and other systems relying on the door to keep it closed. While there is not vertical load there is considerable back and forth. Leverage some more weight out on the end of that mass and the load increases.

That said I really like the IBEX mount and would like to see more from them.

JeepinJon

Observer
Hard to generalize but most carriers I have built and have used and been impressed by their ease of operation have had a small amount of preload so to speak so a loaded carrier will line up with the latch properly and open close smoothly when loaded with a tire etc. While the hinge is carrying the majority of the weight and is capable of carrying that weight, loads change with inertia on a moving vehicle over a bumpy road. The latch side does provide a substantial amount of support in these situations. To be quite honest I am surprised the rear door does so well in holding the whole enchilada shut and secure as it is designed with the AEV and other systems relying on the door to keep it closed. While there is not vertical load there is considerable back and forth. Leverage some more weight out on the end of that mass and the load increases.

That said I really like the IBEX mount and would like to see more from them.

I know that on the AEV carrier I think that AEV has said that the way the carrier is setup there should be roughtly 20% or the weight supported by the swing gate, and 80% by the frame. The tire carrier is rated up to a 40" tire, so I would guess on weight you are looking at about 140-150 pounds that the tire carrier is designed for. If you have a 37" tire (mine is around 100lbs) and then add another 40-50 pounds a few feet to the drivers side of the carrier I would be exceeding the design of the AEV bracketry that secures the tire carrier to the body and still allows the independent up/down movement for the body to frame flex.

I figure that based on my wheel/tire combo I am placing about 20 pounds on the body, and 80 pounds on the frame. I don't have any exact measurements, but if I assume that the spindle to the center of the tire carrier (where the weight of the tire is centered) was 3', and I decided I wanted to move my tire towards the drivers side 4" to center it on the carrier I would be moving the weight towards the drivers side about 12% on the tire carrier, and increasing the amount of leverage on the spindle and changing from a 20%/80% spilt to a 32/68% weight distribution (I over simplifying the process since I am not an engineer). It doesn't sound like much weight, but the swing gate is rated for about 50lbs (stock Rubicon tires are pushing the limits of the JK swing gate). Based on the math here at some point I am going to move the leverage over enough I am going to exceed what the tire carrier was designed for.

I am not sure where the weak point is on the AEV tire carrier for the load, but you have the spindle and the saddle block that take the weight and distribute it into the proper components. I could see where the Ibex mount with a chainsaw, and a Power Tank could be adding 50-75+ pounds about 12-18" towards the drivers side of the tire carrier. This would probably be far enough past the tire carrier that at least half, if not more of the weight is supported by the saddle block and the swing gate. Now all of a sudden my 20 pounds on the swing gate is up to 50+ pounds, and this is a factory part that is rated for about 50 pounds.

I think that the items that Ibex created that mount direclt to the tire with a rachet strap is a better idea because then we are placing more of the load on the spindle (which is designed for the weight) rather than placing it on the swing gate. I am not really looking to store items on the tire carrier like they have shown, but I am looking for a step that can mount to a 37" tire carrier which their system could provide, so I can have easy access from the AEV bumper steps, to a future roof rack for photography.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle