Ice Coolers and Boats

FettsWay

Adventurer
I recently did a 2 night fishing/rec. kayaking trip down the river, camping on the gravel bars and fishing from the boat and banks by day. Had a great time, but need to work on my food/water management. I ran out of water and had to bum some from my buddy, I took enough for a normal person, but I drink above normal water amounts and ran out just near the end.

I freeze my water in Nalgene bottles and pack with meat or items that need to be kept cold, but the water melted quicker than I thought in the softside cooler. And the hardside cooler didn't fair much better and will be left behind next time as it was a cumbersome stow among the other gear.

What do some you all do for water on overnight boating trips and how to you manage keeping items cold? Water filters? I assume most use softside coolers, but I thought about making my own with some double wall insulation.

I tend to boat when the weather is warm, so keeping stuff cold is more of a challenge.

12husky

Adventurer
On a trip 2 weeks ago we all decided to pack light and not carry anything that needed to be kept cold or cooked. We were able to float easier on the shallower sections since we weren't loaded down, but we missed some of the finer meals we are normally accustomed to. For water, I carried a Katadyn Base Camp water filter that everyone shared. We filled up in the morning and again at lunch to keep us going.

~Matt

DesertBoater

Adventurer
Guiding for a sea kayak outfitter in the San Jan Islands in Washington, we use soft coolers from NRS (nrsweb.com I think) I usually used 3 quart sized bottles of ice. This setup often lasted up to 3 days with ice. We carry two or three of these things per trip and as we eat food, we slowly pare down our coolers and consolidate so that they're as full as possible all the time.

So far as water management, you could invest in a couple of dromedary bags from MSR. The black ones are almost bulletproof, and on top of that, they have a filter system that is gravity operated...fill #1 bladder with river water, attach filter/hose, connect the outflow to bladder #2, then hang #1 from a tree branch or place it uphill, and shortly thereafter, you will have a whole bunch of filtered water.

FettsWay

Adventurer
I like the IceMule concept, but not the price. I hope to find some more consumer reviews to determine if the price warrents taking a chance on it. I wonder how much better the insulation concept is opposed to the isulation in your average coolers, soft or hardshell?

Squatchout sure makes good space use of a 12 foot. boat. I like his idea of freezing the meat items, I forgot to do that with the bacon I took.

I am looking at adding another kayak to my collection what will have more storage and hold more weight as well.

FettsWay

Adventurer
I ended up buying an NRS cooler (untested) and a Seattle Sports frost pak cooler, both are soft sided. The Seattle Sports cooler has worked well, straps across the the back of my sit inside kayak. As log as I freeze my water 2 days in advance it will hold good and cold in warm weather.

Bought a yeti about 2 years ago and it works great for truck camping, too large for the kayaks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears