Iceland 2008

ColinTheCop

Adventurer
From Wikipedia,

Iceland is located in the North Atlantic Ocean just south of the Arctic Circle, which passes through the small island of Grímsey off Iceland's northern coast, but not through mainland Iceland. Unlike neighbouring Greenland, Iceland is considered to be a part of Europe, not of North America, though geologically the island belongs to both continents. Because of cultural, economic and linguistic similarities, Iceland in many contexts is also included in Scandinavia. The closest bodies of land are Greenland (287 km) and the Faroe Islands (420 km). The closest distance to the mainland of Europe is 970 km (to Norway).

Located on the Mid-Atlantic Ridge, Iceland is volcanically and geologically active on a large scale; this defines the landscape in various ways. The interior mainly consists of a plateau characterized by sand fields, mountains and glaciers, while many big glacial rivers flow to the sea through the lowlands. Warmed by the Gulf Stream, Iceland has a temperate climate relative to its latitude and provides a habitable environment and nature.

It's somewhere i'd always wanted to go, and in the Summer of 2008 I went along with some friends from ORRP.com.

We went in the July/August as it's the warmest time of the year and all the roads are open, although the F910 an offroad route through the interior Highlands only opened the week before we arrived.

We spent 2 weeks which was enough time to drive around the Island, although some days we were driving 200 miles. At a guess I would say over 50% of our drive was Off Road.

The Off road tracks varied, sometimes it was hard gravel that felt like it was shaking your truck to bits and other times it was deep black volcanic sand that slowed you right down.

This was our Convoy,

Convoy.jpg

A 2002 110 TD5. A home built 100" Defender. A 1970 Series2. My Mitubishi Pickup and the East German military communications truck converted to a campervan.

CliveTruck.jpg

The Military truck cut the tour short, he suffered a blowout and didn't have a 2nd spare. He was unable to locate one in Iceland and the thought of leaving himself stranded didn't appeal. The ferry to the UK leaves once a week so he dashed to the port and caught an earlier one.

The route we took could only be undertaken by 4x4's.

ForKev.jpg

A god set of All Terrain tyres was aslo essential. As a break down miles from nowhere could leave you stranded.

Broken.jpg

The main feature in Iceland seemed to be water, and lots of it. Either jaw dropping waterfalls,

Waterfall.jpg

or glacial rivers to drive through....

water.jpg

And being an Island, at certain places you look get to see sights like this,

Whale.jpg

There are 2 types of camping, either wild camping where you just stop where you want,

wildcamp.jpg

Or camping at a Ranger Station. These are properly run campsites, usually in the good spots that have an area to camp and a bunk house. Prices ranged from between £5 - £15 a night depending on location and facilities.

This one was about £5 a night and had a geothermally heated swimming pool and 2 hottubs. The Pool was like a hot bath - fantastic.

camp.jpg

ColinTheCop

Adventurer
Being a volcanic island things like this appeared from underground,

Stokkur.jpg

And they have year round snow and Glaciers.

glacier.jpg

This is inside a Glacier where a hot spring comes up inside it causing a cave to form allowing the hot water to exit.

Glacier2.jpg

There wasn't a lot of colour most of the time, either hard black volcanic lava,

Lava.jpg

Or black Volcanic sand,

Beach.jpg

This was another naturally heated pool at a Ranger Station called Laugafell,

Laugafell.jpg

There was so much hot water even the toilets flushed with it.

A road going somewhere,

road.jpg

And what I think about when I remember Iceland, Miles and miles of nothing.

empty.jpg

neliconcept

Spirit Overland
excellent report!!!

now i may need to look at how much it would cost to ship my runner over there.. of course when our economy gets better and or i become a bit more wealthy lol.

Willman

Welcome to the ExPo!!!

Out of this world report!

Thanks for sharing!...And keep them coming!

:)

ColinTheCop

Adventurer
Overland Hadley said:
Do you have any more photos to share?

To save me hotlinking, (and hopefully not breaking the rules here) here's a link to the appropriate section of the other forum, plenty Pics there.

http://www.orrp.com/smf/index.php?board=2.0

neliconcept said:
now i may need to look at how much it would cost to ship my runner over there...

I saw two vehicles when I was there from Western Australia, A 110 and a motorbike. I spoke the the motorbike rider who had it shipped to the UK, don't know about the LR, so shipping is certainly one option.

There was a whole lot of cool trucks.

d960tC5ryhusigkQTuiSphnWYNROcOOYqPlD_l.jpg

72c0t-Rb67B2ps9wuW2pIqUGdYcdKcivUdER_l.jpg

72c0t-Rb67B2ps9wuW2pIqUGdVKZFygR1SfX_l.jpg

72c0t-Rb67B2ps9wuW2pIqUGdawxLKs54R-3_l.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998