Iceland Adventuring - Solo Overlanding

roverrocks

Expedition Leader
I absolutely Hate your disgusting Defender 110. I Hate it!!!!!!!!! ..................................................................................................but only because it's not MINE!

Mc Taco

American Adventurist
What a great video! Thoroughly enjoyable and eminently watchable.

More than can be said for some other "action" videos I recently sat through.

grobinson

Adventurer
Thanks! It can be tough at times, where you're trying to capture the moment while also keeping entertainment factors up. I had plenty of other video of driving around places, but had to do my best of keeping the fun within the video. It sure can be tough, and I appreciate the comments!

grobinson

Adventurer
Thanks! It sure can be, but of course knowing your limitations and just being aware of your surroundings. It's not for the faint of heart, that's for sure.

CruiseControl

Great video. Looks like an amazing place.

Saw that you used ISAK, how was working with them? Their website seems pretty straight forward.

Also, do you know of other companies that do this sort of thing in Europe?

Thanks

grobinson

Adventurer
Thanks!

ISAK was great to deal with, I had no issues with them, and would gladly go through them again. Very easy going and all. Things I would keep in mind with some of these places, are you doing a trip on your own or do you want a guided service? There are a lot of guided services in Iceland with different vehicle types, and there are a few that allow for solo rental for adventuring.

It really all comes down to knowing your skill level, what the truck can do for you, and basically knowing the limits of not only yourself but your rented vehicle that you're liable for. A lot of caution needs to be taken into account. Growing up in New England where our weather changes on a dime, and traveling/experiencing a bunch of other places, I've found Iceland can pack a punch with some extreme weather situations during the winter. Being prepared is key.

In the UK I believe there are a couple outfitters, but not really to the extent of Iceland or what you may get out in Moab for rentals. Just doing some good research should allow you to discover what's out there. All of what I did was research on my own, and it took some digging around at times. I've had a bit of off road experience, which helps with some of the research, planning and adventuring. If it's new to you, I highly recommend a guided service. There's one I can actually recommend in the New England area.

Hoothout

That was an awesome video, must have been a really great trip. I would love to go to iceland and have that opportunity, thats sweet!

Silverspiders

Very cool video. We did a 2 week overlad trip through the interior in August 2007. We had the opposite - almost permanent sunshine. Nice to see the flip-side

grobinson

Adventurer
Iceland Airwaves

I was back in Iceland a few weeks ago, for the 2nd trip of this year. This time it wasn't as much solo adventuring, but I was there with a friend for Iceland Airwaves. An incredible music festival that shouldn't be missed if you love music, with all ranges of genres. While out on this trip, a friend and I got to do a little bit of overlanding and hiking. Although small, the Suzuki Jimny is a really nice little capable off-road truck:

https://vimeo.com/79586806

Pretty certain I'll be returning again next year.

Jamooche

Adventurer
I was back in Iceland a few weeks ago, for the 2nd trip of this year. This time it wasn't as much solo adventuring, but I was there with a friend for Iceland Airwaves. An incredible music festival that shouldn't be missed if you love music, with all ranges of genres. While out on this trip, a friend and I got to do a little bit of overlanding and hiking. Although small, the Suzuki Jimny is a really nice little capable off-road truck:

https://vimeo.com/79586806

Pretty certain I'll be returning again next year.

Awesome video G. I have some footage from our trip too. I just moved, so a little busy. Haven't even downloaded the cards yet!

soonenough

Explorer
That was fantastic! Thanks for posting. I was going to ask about the music, but I saw that it was listed at the end of the video...that first song was really good.

EDIT: just realized the OP was from earlier this year, and hadn't even looked at the 2nd page of this thread. I was referring to the original video when I mentioned the music.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger