ICELANDIC 110s?

emmodg

Adventurer
If I may chime in, IMO Icelandic off roaders are a breed of their own, and second to none. They know what they are doing and don't just slam bigger tires on, they do the whole package, axles, gearing etc. If you notice they manage this without raising the vehicles unnecesarily thus retaining a good COG. The Icelandic terrain is very special, lots of ice and snow, but also a lot of loose volcanic gravel, but almost no trees, so big and wide is not a hindrance.
While huge wheels might be a hindrance on an expedition vehicles in other parts of the world, just think about all the roads out there that are just tire tracks, really big wheeels would ride the edges and you would have to steer all the time, they seems to work great on Iceland.

The tracks in the vid slows you down conciderably, they have a lower gearing, and they are not as good on pavement as a regular wheel. Lastly they are hugely expensive!

I found a vid that might seem a bit boring, but IMO it illustrates that the Icelandic concept work, and that the trucks are very well build, just look at how effordlessly it does what it does without ever goiing out of idle:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9C1-clYaVI&feature=related

Actually, many of the "tundra 110's" in Iceland and elsewhere do not upgrade axles with those big-*** tires. The tires are to spread load/weight and "float". The axles don't encounter the tremendous torque forces that are "forced" upon other axles as snow and ice don't lend themselves to that kind of driving style. Take one of those trucks and drive/crawl it over rock and dirt for a while and you'd snap an axle in no time! They are "built" but in a different way. The object is to get as much tire on as possible - articulation and HD axles be damned!

RETROFIT

Observer
I think you guys missed the point. Retrofit made a broad and general statement that "bigger is better" in the snow. That is not the case "in general".

The Iceland trucks are heavily modified for their specific purpose. I remember reading an article (Land Rover Lifestyles?) about all the work that was involved. And they also talked about the reasoning behind each modification.

I still stand by my statement that "bigger isn't better" for your average joe Rover guy. But yeah...don't take my word for it. Come wheeling with us in Wisconsin this winter. It would be an eye opening experience.

Sorry I should have mentioned the particular type of snow encountered in Iceland (I'm no expert but I have been there a few times). But I would hold the same chain of thoughts if I was to drive a rig in the Arctic (Been there wayyyyy to many times). But I would agree that in some snow situation bigger isn't always better.

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
Ok so it's mostly a SNOW adaptation. Why don't they just do this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koQL1BxjzA8

So it is hugely stressful on the suspension then? I wonder what exactly they do to them?

IPSC_GUY
SIERRA II ALPHA
HAHAHA I was just gonna Say "MAtt Tracks" (if you're not familliar with them here they are: http://www.mattracks.com/ Oh and HIJACK, check out the "power Board"!!!!!!!! How cool is that?!?!?!?!?!?!) however these trucks that the great northerners build are no joke, they're well engineered most of the time and they've been doing it for a long time so they're pretty much the experts in that realm. Seems to me they mostly do Toyotas, but it seems like ANY truck found in ICeland has been treated to the big floater tire's eh.

There are also a bunch of guys in Canada who use old Gamma Goat suspensions and convert Jeep's and Cruisers for extreme snow wheeling with, you guess'd it!!! Great big wide tires!!!!!! It's all about float in the deep untracked snow. Manual tranny's and 400+ CI V8's help keep chugging and make the trucks realy reliable.

Cheers

Dave

muskyman

Explorer
Trying to reduce ground pressure so they can stay on top of the snow. Yes, the stresses must be huge.

Personally, I think this is a more practical solution.

attachment.php

1/4 PSI of ground pressure with 1 rider. I think they run those tires in the single digit PSI, actual ground pressure would be even higher. Snowmobile probably costs about as much as the mods needed to put those tires on the rig. <shrug>

so how do you carry 4 guys and scientific gear and food and such for a week on a snowmobile?

yes I know you can pull sleds but the bottom line is that you will not travel in the comfort that the 110's of iceland travel in.

4x4s have been a part of the culture of iceland for a long time and people onlt seem to see and hear about the huge tired rigs designed for travel over the glaciers. To say that they dont know what they are doing there is just absolute crap. There are all kinds of 4x4 build styles in iceland and they are some of the most hard core 4x4 enthusiasts on the planet.

CharlieV

Adventurer
I'm going to completely disagree. While the Iceland trucks are specifically designed for their environment, they are the exception and not the norm.

I've done my share of snow wheeling and larger isn't better. A set of 235/85 tires running at about 15-18psi are almost perfect for snow. Mud terrain tires are slightly better than all terrains but not much. The key to snow is momentum. And knowing how and when to use the throttle. It's definately an artform that takes patience and practice.

I was in Iceland in May with OEX for a week and can say from experience that when the snow is 1500 feet thick you need more than momentum. Larger isn't better when you have terra firma underneath on which to bite, but is when there's just more snow. Momentum is great for a short crossing but not for several miles. The bigger/wider the tire, the more float. We were aired down to 2-3 psi during the trickiest of glacier crossings and you'd be amazed what letting 2 psi out will do when you were only at 4 to begin with.

The 110s we were driving were all on 38"s, our guides'was on 44"s. He snapped a front half shaft just a few minutes before we navigated through a six hour whiteout. Being the driver of the only other 110 with locked axles I had the opportunity to lead the group (via GPS and instruction from my intrepid instructor Garret :costumed-smiley-007) for the whole crossing. It was a great experience that I will always remember. Regarding our guides 44"s (running stock 26? spline LR axles)he could definitely go places (through less dense snow) than we could on the 38"s. Unfortunately, the tires are really expensive there and even in the hands of a professional mountain guide, can cause broken components, especially when said mountain guide jinxs himself the day before by bragging about never breaking axles!

I do have to agree it's an artform and it does require an exceptional amount of feel, something most of today's drivers seem not to have learned. It was a great trip and I would recommend it to anyone who wants to see a raw, rugged, beautiful country. I'm on the hotel's business center computer and am not going to open the youtube link, but I hope it's subject is the Icelandic ladies.

Sk'al-Charlie Venezia

IPSC_GUY

Naw the youtube links are snow travel and crawling. About the Icelandic women is true they are all drop dead beautiful?

IPSC_GUY
SIERRA II ALPHA

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
so how do you carry 4 guys and scientific gear and food and such for a week on a snowmobile?

yes I know you can pull sleds but the bottom line is that you will not travel in the comfort that the 110's of iceland travel in.

With 4 machines.

The Inuit who live up in the arctic full time use snowmobiles, not 4x4's. ;) When in Rome...

Interesting old link:

http://pubs.aina.ucalgary.ca/arctic/Arctic32-3-189.pdf

It really depends on what you're trying to do. I find snowmobiles more fun to drive than trucks. If you must travel by land, they make more sense to me. If you're actually trying to get somewhere far, you take an airplane.

Truck based travel on snow seems me always starts with the question: "Can we drive a truck there?"

IPSC_GUY

Not all of them, but certainly a disproportionate amount by normal standards.

I was told that when the Vikings were plundering England and Ireland (in order to populate Iceland) that they specifically took only the prettiest women... Makes sense if you Joe Viking, kicking in a farm house door intent on steeling women, ya take the pretty ones. As such Icelandic women are from what I understand DROP DEAD GORGEOUS ! ! !

Ok back to making 110s travel over the Icelandic country side.

Here is a clip from Fifth Gear on the 110. Kind of simplistic but fun to watch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LsSXXxczqE

Here's a good link I found about the kind of modifications they make to fit the big tires: http://www.4x4offroads.com/land-rover-defender-1.html

AHHHHH HA ! ! ! That is what I was curious about, the how of it. THANKS ! ! !

IPSC_GUY
SIERRA II ALPHA

Last edited:

CharlieV

Adventurer
England has pretty girls? The Vikings must have taken them all. Kidding, sort of.

I have some great video footage of the 110s coming up a glacier. I need to load it onto youtube to link here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12