ICELANDIC 110s?

IPSC_GUY

Why is it that every picture I see of a 110 in Iceland they have HUGELY wide tires and massive flairs?

Coming from a sports car/track car background to the world of four wheel drive I know that wider is better for more patch contact with the track. In off roading what are the benefits of going wider? Also does this put a huge stress on hubs, spindles and axles? I just spent a while reading over the "are 1.5 inch spacers safe?!?!?!?" thread and then I see these 110s running around Iceland with, who knows how wide tires and rims.

So whats the deal?

IPSC_GUY
SIERRA II ALPHA

Last edited:

RETROFIT

Observer
When running on snow having a large tire to spread the load gives you a big advantage and prevents you from getting stuck in packed snow. Also gives you more traction on rocks as well when deflated.

My thought ...

Pat

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
Trying to reduce ground pressure so they can stay on top of the snow. Yes, the stresses must be huge.

Personally, I think this is a more practical solution.

attachment.php

1/4 PSI of ground pressure with 1 rider. I think they run those tires in the single digit PSI, actual ground pressure would be even higher. Snowmobile probably costs about as much as the mods needed to put those tires on the rig. <shrug>

Attachments

• 2008_SkiDoo_SkandicSWT_V-800.jpg
    2008_SkiDoo_SkandicSWT_V-800.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 1,111

Christian

Adventurer
If I may chime in, IMO Icelandic off roaders are a breed of their own, and second to none. They know what they are doing and don't just slam bigger tires on, they do the whole package, axles, gearing etc. If you notice they manage this without raising the vehicles unnecesarily thus retaining a good COG. The Icelandic terrain is very special, lots of ice and snow, but also a lot of loose volcanic gravel, but almost no trees, so big and wide is not a hindrance.
While huge wheels might be a hindrance on an expedition vehicles in other parts of the world, just think about all the roads out there that are just tire tracks, really big wheeels would ride the edges and you would have to steer all the time, they seems to work great on Iceland.

The tracks in the vid slows you down conciderably, they have a lower gearing, and they are not as good on pavement as a regular wheel. Lastly they are hugely expensive!

I found a vid that might seem a bit boring, but IMO it illustrates that the Icelandic concept work, and that the trucks are very well build, just look at how effordlessly it does what it does without ever goiing out of idle:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9C1-clYaVI&feature=related

Last edited:

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
The track setups are quite expensive. They're about $20,000 for a Mattracks setup. You could buy 2 or 3 snowmobiles and a nice trailer for that price.

To run the big tires, I would think they have upgraded axles, higher gears, etc.

I need a snow vehicle to get my trail fix during our long winters, and I've thought about an Icelandic setup on my truck, but I just can't justify it compared to the price and capability of a snowmobile. Not to mention just about every trail legally becomes a snowmobile trail in Canada between Nov 1 and April 30 in Canada, and it's illegal to use anything but a snowmobile on them.

S

stu454

The Icelandic trucks are the textbook example of tailoring your truck to your surroundings.

In addition to snow, the crevaces (sp?) are more forgiving with larger tires; rather like having a bridging ladder always rolling under your truck.

FourByLand

Expedition Leader
If I may chime in, IMO Icelandic off roaders are a breed of their own, and second to none. They know what they are doing and don't just slam bigger tires on, they do the whole package, axles, gearing etc. If you notice they manage this without raising the vehicles unnecesarily thus retaining a good COG. The Icelandic terrain is very special, lots of ice and snow, but also a lot of loose volcanic gravel, but almost no trees, so big and wide is not a hindrance.
While huge wheels might be a hindrance on an expedition vehicles in other parts of the world, just think about all the roads out there that are just tire tracks, really big wheeels would ride the edges and you would have to steer all the time, they seems to work great on Iceland.

The tracks in the vid slows you down conciderably, they have a lower gearing, and they are not as good on pavement as a regular wheel. Lastly they are hugely expensive!

I found a vid that might seem a bit boring, but IMO it illustrates that the Icelandic concept work, and that the trucks are very well build, just look at how effordlessly it does what it does without ever goiing out of idle:

I would have to agree with the above.

They have adapted to their terrain. Such as the guys down South with their swamp buggies.

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
I would have to agree with the above.

They have adapted to their terrain. Such as the guys down South with their swamp buggies.

I've seen the trans polar fj80's do very well in desert-testing conditions as well.

The flotational properties kept the rigs moving a lot longer than other smaller tire clad rigs on deep, loose sand.

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
I don't think the video is boring... not too long and nicely shows the capability of the vehicle and the finesse of the driver.

lake_bueller

Observer
When running on snow having a large tire to spread the load gives you a big advantage and prevents you from getting stuck in packed snow. Also gives you more traction on rocks as well when deflated.

My thought ...

Pat

I'm going to completely disagree. While the Iceland trucks are specifically designed for their environment, they are the exception and not the norm.

I've done my share of snow wheeling and larger isn't better. A set of 235/85 tires running at about 15-18psi are almost perfect for snow. Mud terrain tires are slightly better than all terrains but not much. The key to snow is momentum. And knowing how and when to use the throttle. It's definately an artform that takes patience and practice.

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
That really depends on how deep the snow is, doesn't it? You won't be able to keep moving long with skinny tires in 2+ feet of loose snow. Now, I don't know what the conditions are in Iceland, but I know you wouldn't be moving very long up here.

zimm

Expedition Leader
its not just "snow". its driving on glaciers.... ever wonde why you tie off to others when youre walking on glaciers?

your 235/85 would disappear in a covered void. if both tires did on a side, you would likely roll to the side, wedged. its iceland, not crusted-bum colorado in winter. the surface isnt homogeneous.

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
That really depends on how deep the snow is, doesn't it? You won't be able to keep moving long with skinny tires in 2+ feet of loose snow. Now, I don't know what the conditions are in Iceland, but I know you wouldn't be moving very long up here.

I've only seen video's, but it seems like the snow is very dry and fluffy there. That coupled with the loose, ashy volcanic soil makes for some interesting conditions for sure.

lake_bueller

Observer
I think you guys missed the point. Retrofit made a broad and general statement that "bigger is better" in the snow. That is not the case "in general".

The Iceland trucks are heavily modified for their specific purpose. I remember reading an article (Land Rover Lifestyles?) about all the work that was involved. And they also talked about the reasoning behind each modification.

I still stand by my statement that "bigger isn't better" for your average joe Rover guy. But yeah...don't take my word for it. Come wheeling with us in Wisconsin this winter. It would be an eye opening experience.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12