ICOM IC-208H V. Yaesu FT-7800R

spressomon

Expedition Leader
I stopped by our local electronics specialty store today and upon their recommendation bought a can of D5 electronic parts cleaner, lube and anti-oxidizer. Took 15-minutes to disassemble/lube/reassemble and I just tested it and this seems to have provided remedy.

Thanks to Cory/Trunk Monkey on 'MUD for providing the link to the fixit post for this issue.

Dan

rusty_tlc

Explorer
spressomon said:
I stopped by our local electronics specialty store today and upon their recommendation bought a can of D5 electronic parts cleaner, lube and anti-oxidizer. Took 15-minutes to disassemble/lube/reassemble and I just tested it and this seems to have provided remedy.

Thanks to Cory/Trunk Monkey on 'MUD for providing the link to the fixit post for this issue.

Dan
Good news!

RoundOut

Explorer
That is good to know if I develop this problem. So far, so good, no problem. (where's that "knock on wood" smiley?)

Jeeptrekker

My first mobile was a 208H. It worked fine for a few months then people started telling me that they could hear a carrier but no voice when I tried to transmit. Is this the mike problem that spressomon talked about? It now sits on a shelf in my garage and I am quite happy with my Alinco.

I also agree with nwoods about it not being very user friendly.

spressomon

Expedition Leader
Jeeptrekker said:
My first mobile was a 208H. It worked fine for a few months then people started telling me that they could hear a carrier but no voice when I tried to transmit. Is this the mike problem that spressomon talked about? It now sits on a shelf in my garage and I am quite happy with my Alinco.

I also agree with nwoods about it not being very user friendly.

That's it. When you key you can tell by the display whether or not it is actually transmitting.

I too find the Icom menu/memory/shortcut system overly complicated/confusing.

rusty_tlc

Explorer
Yeasu isn't all that intuitive in their menus/short cuts either. The advantage of sticking with one brand is you get use to the programing logic. I'm finally starting to understand what the Yaesu guys were were thinking when they wrote the menus for their radios.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle