ICON 3 leaf AAL and Timbren install

Zwoehr

I installed an ICON 3 leaf progressive AAL today along with Timbren "Suspension Enhancement System" bumpstops. It was about a 3 hour job without power tools, or a decent jack, outside in pouring rain...:snorkel: I've only taken a quick test drive but so far they are a huge improvement. Before I installed them my leafs were just about riding on the overloads with my camper shell and rack now the springs have positive arch and the shocks are actually working again. I was planning on replacing all original Tokiko shocks (112k miles on them) with Bilstein 5100's but after testing I'm not sure I need to. It made that big of a difference in ride quality. I forgot measure lift before and after :oops: I can post some pics tomorrow if anyone is interested.

Some notes; The centering bolts and U bolts that come with the kit are loooong. I cut about 2 1/2" off the centering bolts after installation. The U bolts have an inch plus of threads showing. E brake cable retainer needed to be drilled out to fit on new retainer bolts two of which were a little too short.

timmer2008

Adventurer
the bolts are made to be long enough for dakars.

you should change out to 5100s adjs up front and 5100 in back
or better. or you might be able to swap out some stock TRD suspension parts with someone who has already upgraded. you can usually find them pretty cheap and dont have to hassle with a spring compressor or paying someone to assemble the coils on the 5100 adjs.

Zwoehr

installed TRD coils and shocks

I installed some take off TRD Bilsteins in front with the TRD progressive springs yesterday. Somehow I was able to get the stock struts out by only disconnecting the sway bar but to get the new ones in I had to completely disconnect the LCA (after a couple of hours of messing around and cursing) Installing 5100's on the rear soon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12