Icon extended or standard coilovers??

chmura

Adventurer
I purchased the standard Icon coilovers and I have till Monday of next week to change my order to extended 7/8" more travel ones (same price).

I don't rock crawl or anything so I think the standards will be fine. But I am slowly building a overland vehicle with my 2009 4runner. I do off road a lot. Going to Death Valley, Utah for a week this year, the overland expo in flagstaff in May, etc.

The guy from metal tech said I will be fine running extended with stock UCA's too. They are very knowledgeable so I'll take his word.

I just do not want to purchase something and regret later.

Which is better for an overland non rock crawling rig??

Ryanmb21

Expedition Leader
I got the extended travel and piggy backs in the rear with their springs. The ride is butter, I recommend UCAs more better.

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
You will not regret Icon external resis or UCA's, trust me.

Better alignment with UCA's and smoother travel. I ran stock UCA's for a few years, the Icon UCA's made a big difference.

I just came back from Death Valley/Saline Valley. The infamous Saline Valley washboards were WAY more palatable with this setup. The group kept complaining I was going too fast... LOL

Moving Chicane

Already Gone.
I asked the same question when putting together my 4Runner (2012 Trail) and ended up going ICON Ext. Travel in front. (Also did UCA's from Total Chaos).

Almost every shop recommended the ET route even when considering the price; I guess they are different enough up front that they will stay "that much cooler" when doing quick driving on dirt/rough/washboard roads and obviously better on some of the rockier stuff.

I went Icon ET's I have no doubts I made a great choice - great ride and capability so far! :)

chmura

Adventurer
You will not regret Icon external resis or UCA's, trust me.

Better alignment with UCA's and smoother travel. I ran stock UCA's for a few years, the Icon UCA's made a big difference.

I just came back from Death Valley/Saline Valley. The infamous Saline Valley washboards were WAY more palatable with this setup. The group kept complaining I was going too fast... LOL

Did you go to the hot springs in saline valley? How's the water temp?

I'm going there in 3 weeks.

Still trying to decide on extended travel or standard icons.

I really do not want to purchase aftermarket UCA's right now. Maybe in a few months.

I read a good post on the Tacoma forums that the 7/8 inch extended travel icon coilovers that you need to get aftermarket lower control arm to take full advantage of the additional travel. The stock suspension has travel limitations even with after market UCA's.

I'm not sure if the extended travel coil overs are just hype and sound good on the forums.

Last edited:

Whitecloud

One day at a time
I have the extended Travel Remote resi ICON's and love them. I don't have UCA's currently but am going to be getting them soon. But you do not need to get new lowers to get the full extension out of them. Just make sure that you get some new bumpstops also. Just my 2 cents.

Redhook

I just did my 2007 FJ in November and opted to put the extended travel in. I was told, however, that I needed to run new UCA's. So I opted for ICON tubulars. I did the install myself and it was easy.

Spent last week running washes in Anza Borrego and I couldn't be happier. Everything performed flawlessly. There are a few squeeks that I need to investigate, but nothing major.

zidaro

Explorer
Did you get the standard with remote resi's? Or when you say standard, do you mean non-remote reservoir? RR is not required for any standard use vehicle, but is extra insurance and looks great! You wont be disappointed.

Seems if your asking the question about Ext travel, then at some time you may find yourself wanting the upgrade. the Ext. travel 7/8" is minor, but allows the full use of the UCA articulation advantage. If there is no downside, why not get them? It is Monday though- so you may have already made a decision, though MetalTech will still stoke you out if you decide tonight :)

chmura

Adventurer
I'm talking about standard length vs the extended travel not the remote reservoirs.

I couldn't get a hold of metal tech yesterday and they still haven't shipped anything. Hope to contact them today.

GTABurnout

Explorer
Anoter vote for Extended travel with resi and some upper arms. I have Total Chaos upper arms, just be aware if you do a set of Camberg arms you may have the uni ball hitting the coil at full droop.

chmura

Adventurer
Seems if your asking the question about Ext travel, then at some time you may find yourself wanting the upgrade. the Ext. travel 7/8" is minor, but allows the full use of the UCA articulation advantage. If there is no downside, why not get them? It is Monday though- so you may have already made a decision, though MetalTech will still stoke you out if you decide tonight :)

Metal tech still hasn't received th standard travel icons so I still have a day or so to change my order.

The downsides?

The downsides are spending an additional $650 for total chaos UCA's. If I go with the standards I won't go higher than the factory preset height. So I am pretty sure I can get a good alignment without the need for aftermarket UCA's.

I had a stock 2002 4x4 Tacoma and I off roaded alot ALOT in it and I had no trouble getting into areas I wanted with the stock suspension.

This is my first mildy lifted rig and I want to turn it into an overland rig.

Im being to indecisive and it's killing me!

chmura

Adventurer
Well I got the extendeds.

Everything should be here Friday.

Icon 2.5 extended coilovers
Icon 2.0 rear shocks
Icon rear springs
Icon rear shin guards

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member