Icon's vs Bilstein 6112.

cr500taco

Adventurer
Thanks for all of the replies. I've decided to go with the 6112's.

Next question, Wheelers Off Road offers 650lb and 700lb. springs for the 2.5" shocks. I am wondering if I should get the 650# springs, which are about $200 extra, since I will be switching out the bumper and skid plates, which I already have, and possibly running a winch in the future.

Kpack

Adventurer
You mean get the 700lbs springs? With bumper, skids, and winch most people run 700lbs springs.

cr500taco

Adventurer
You mean get the 700lbs springs? With bumper, skids, and winch most people run 700lbs springs.

No, 650# springs. I have a All Pro hybrid tube/winch bumper and their skids. Total weight of the two is about 120lbs. I know that people running 700's, have steel plate bumpers.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
I run 650 lb/in 14" tall coil springs on the front of my Tacoma. I have an ARB bumper, XD9000 w/ synthetic, dual batteries (25/35 pair in stock location), 3/16" IFS skid plate, bolt-on sliders. I started at 600 lb/in 13" tall springs which is what FOX used stock. If I was to go back I might actually just go to a 600/14 spring. No way I'd go higher to 700/14. As it is I'm only barely just using my full travel and still need to increase my rebound damping at the next rebuild, it's pretty harsh on slow technical stuff. Rides really good on high speed dirt and gravel, though.

cr500taco

Adventurer
I run 650 lb/in 14" tall coil springs on the front of my Tacoma. I have an ARB bumper, XD9000 w/ synthetic, dual batteries (25/35 pair in stock location), 3/16" IFS skid plate, bolt-on sliders. I started at 600 lb/in 13" tall springs which is what FOX used stock. If I was to go back I might actually just go to a 600/14 spring. No way I'd go higher to 700/14. As it is I'm only barely just using my full travel and still need to increase my rebound damping at the next rebuild.

Wow, ok. So O guess I'll stick with the 600's that come with them, at first to see how they are. Didn't want to have to worry about doing the springs twice.
I thought about the 14" springs, but Wheelers told me that the 14" springs were not recommended for the Tacomas. They are only recommended for the Tundras.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Wow, ok. So O guess I'll stick with the 600's that come with them, at first to see how they are. Didn't want to have to worry about doing the springs twice.
I thought about the 14" springs, but Wheelers told me that the 14" springs were not recommended for the Tacomas. They are only recommended for the Tundras.
It's possible 14" springs are too long for 6112, I'd trust whatever Wheelers recommends. The right length depends a lot on the shock. OME springs are 15" and close to 16" in some cases but 14" is pushing the limit on my FOX 2.5 IFP bodies.

I get it about doing it more than once but it's probably not 100% possible to nail it on the first try. I'm satisfied with the ride and will be much happier when I get the rebound damped a bit more. I just know that 700/14 on my truck would have been way over sprung, so I'm glad I just went to 650.

It's not really all that hard to swap coils so there's not a big risk to testing things first. Are you doing the work yourself? Removing and installing assembled coil overs isn't the worst job and having a shop with a coil spring compressor change them in pretty much a 10 minute job if you bring them in.

cr500taco

Adventurer
It's possible 14" springs are too long for 6112, I'd trust whatever Wheelers recommends. The right length depends a lot on the shock. OME springs are 15" and close to 16" in some cases but 14" is pushing the limit on my FOX 2.5 IFP bodies.

I get it about doing it more than once but it's probably not 100% possible to nail it on the first try. I'm satisfied with the ride and will be much happier when I get the rebound damped a bit more. I just know that 700/14 on my truck would have been way over sprung, so I'm glad I just went to 650.

It's not really all that hard to swap coils so there's not a big risk to testing things first. Are you doing the work yourself? Removing and installing assembled coil overs isn't the worst job and having a shop with a coil spring compressor change them in pretty much a 10 minute job if you bring them in.

That makes sense about the different shocks. I do trust what Wheelers says.
Thanks for your help.

Watt maker

Thanks for all of the replies. I've decided to go with the 6112's.

Next question, Wheelers Off Road offers 650lb and 700lb. springs for the 2.5" shocks. I am wondering if I should get the 650# springs, which are about $200 extra, since I will be switching out the bumper and skid plates, which I already have, and possibly running a winch in the future.

If your bumper/winch combo is light, a 14" 650# spring should work just fine. I run 14" 700# King coils with my 6112's and they work great but I have a heavy bumper and steel cable winch. I spoke to an engineer with Bilstein a few years ago about weight vs the 6112 and his opinion was that the 600# (also 14" long) springs that came with the 6112's would be fine on everything from totally stock vehicles to fully outfitted. My experience was not the same and I ended up swapping in the 700's.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12