Id like to make my farm truck a good traveler...help me

sKunk

So heres my story, and what I want to do. Id like some of you veteran Overlanders to lend me some advice.

I live out in the cornfields in Nebraska and have myself a 2006 Silverado 2500HD gasser 4x4 extended cab, and it serves its duty as my daily driver and farm hauler. It sees hay bales and trailers often enough that I dont want to mess it up with things such as lifts, etc.

What I would like to do, is be able to take it on roadtrips to places such as Colorado (probably be the most common, as its not too far at about 8 hours away) and farther south west like Arizona, and instead of staying in a lame hotel, take the truck off the beaten path a bit and do some camping. Obviously being big and heavy, and staying on stock suspension (which is IFS) its not going to go too far, but thats ok, Im not trying to climb mount Everest here.

Im looking for some ideas on how to build up a little better set up vehicle for what I want to do, using what I have. I would love nothing more then to go buy a 80 series Landcrusier or something, but being only 24 and trying to save to buy a house, and a wedding next year, my funds are pretty limited. I think some pretty basic things would for sure have to happen - the factory shocks are getting pretty bad (truck has about 121k miles on it) so maybe some Ranchos? Or Bilsteins? I would also like some very low profile rock sliders, and probably a skidplate or two. As for a bit more involved, and farther down the road, I really want a rooftop tent (holy moly they are expensive tho!) that I would put over the bed of the truck. I think I could weld up a support that sits in the bed and would support the tent at the high of the bed sides, and use the space underneath for storage.

So, thoughts? Concerns? Does it sound like a waste of time with such a lightly modified pig of a machine? What else would you recommend I do? Better ideas? What could I do on the interior?

Thanks everyone.

Erik N

Adventurer
Does it sound like a waste of time with such a lightly modified pig of a machine?
I would venture to say that most of the people with their tricked-out rigs, complete with roof racks, gas cans, winches etc., never take them anywhere.
Just run what ya got and DO IT! Buy a tent ($100) a few foam pads from Walmart ($50), a cooler ($50), bring some blankets and GO!

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
I don't get the RTT fascination. You have a full size truck - get a topper from CL for $300 and go camping. You've got a perfect setup. And you can run about 75% of the 4wd trails in CO with your stock truck and probably 80% of the really scenic ones. Decent tires will get you a long way w/o need for a lift. Spend the rest of your money on gas and food.

Clutch

<---Pass
As others have said, you don't need any of that stuff. Maybe fix your shocks with a set of Monroes...and your good.
I have been all over Colorado and Arizona....you don't even need a crazy 4WD to get to some good spots. There are some amazing fishing/camping spots
right off the roads in CO. You can get to this spot in a 2WD easy!

2965908920093498191iHbIsV_ph.jpg

You may want to take a look in here, for how to travel cheap.

http://www.cheaprvliving.com/index.html

I just do a topper and an EZ-UP.

Friend of mine just does the EZ-UP...day use it is up for shade/living room/kitchen....night time she lowers it over the bed of her F150 so she can sleep out of the elements. A good sleeping bag, and you're golden.

You really don't need much.

Like this guy, actually it is heck of a lot more than I have.
I am not nearly this organized, just some supplies in some Rubbermaid containers
and hit the road.

pauls-toyota-truck-shell-camper.jpg

pauls-toyota-truck-shell-camper-inside.jpg

Last edited:

sKunk

Absolutely, I agree with you all. The RTT was more of a long term want, and it is definitively a "fascination", not at all something I would need, I do think they are cool and very handy, but needed? Absolutely not.

I dont really want to do a topper on it, as I cant have that on when Im home. In my experience they are a bear to put on and take off. I will keep an eye out on craigslist for one tho, if I found one cheap i wouldnt be against trying it out.

That makes me feel better hearing I wont have much trouble getting around in CO with a stock 3/4 ton truck. I still would like rock rails, even tho the truck lives on a dirt road, never gets washed and gets beat up pretty good hauling stuff, I still dont want to smash up my rockers. They look so vulnerable! haha.

Thanks everyone!

Hill Bill E.

Oath Keeper
There are a few companies making canvas toppers. Easy to roll up against the cab, or remove all together when working on the farm.

Best thing to do is get out there, and start doing! You will soon figure out what works well for you, what you don't need the next time, and what you forgot that you really wish you hadn't!! (I forgot my sleeping bag once in Oct.....never have done that again!)

Clutch

<---Pass
I can buzz my topper off in 5-10 minutes. I can usually take it on and off myself.

You can rig up a pulley system to help yank it off, and since you said farm truck, you guys have to have a front loader
just use that to lift the topper off.

Rock rails can be welded up from scrap steel you have laying around.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=511163

I am kinda partial to rectangular tubing over round stock.

yotapics 008.jpg

Last edited:

sKunk

I can buzz my topper off in 5-10 minutes. I can usually take it on and off myself.

You can rig up a pulley system to help yank it off, and since you said farm truck, you guys have to have a front loader
just use that to lift the topper off.

Rock rails can be welded up from scrap steel you have laying around.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=511163

I am kinda partial to rectangular tubing over round stock.

View attachment 107399

Maybe Ill have to look into the topper thing a little more. I though there was more involved in unbolting it, etc. Yea, picking it up wouldnt be hard. Also, a quick craigslist search shows theres a few of those slide in camper thingys. Ive never used one of those, and I really know nothing about them. There was even one that was old but looked in decent shape for only 700 bucks. Almost cant go wrong with that. Youre definitely giving me some ideas, thank you!

EDIT: Also, yea I agree on the rectangle tubing. Id want something as close and discreet as possible. I hate "nerf bars" and those things on trucks.

Clutch

<---Pass
My topper is held on by J-Hooks....super simple.

old_style_j_hooks.306123147_sq_thumb_m.JPG

If you really wanted a roof top rent...you can build your own. I have a copy of the "Practical Handyman's Encyclopedia" "Volume 3" from
the 60's that has a couple pages dedicated to car camping and roof tents.

Of course now with the internet...you can probably find plans how to build one.

51uLI2UTdpL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

You should take a look in Pirate4X4...anything from mild to wild in their Expedition thread.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=675582

This is probably my favorite on that list.

woodcamper2055.jpg

Last edited:

Rot Box

Explorer
The size of your truck is just fine trust me! lol :coffeedrink:

My best advice is to make sure your up on maintenance and have a good set of tires (with a good full size spare) with a decent load range (D or better yet E) then hit the road! If you're mechanically inclined look into adding specialty tools to your tool box to help you fix problems on the road should disaster strike. Late model GM's have some weird fasteners like "theft proof torx" bolts for example and finding a bit for those on the road could be a pain! Some recovery items and tow hooks come in handy as well. A good strap and some D-ring shackles are great items to have.

I second the shell idea. I scored an old school aluminum shell for mine and it is much lighter than glass (I could remove it myself if I had to) and they can be found cheap. It literally takes less than 5 minutes to remove it when not in use.

The best thing you can to is get out there. Don't worry about the truck just build it as you need to--if you even need to :bike_rider:

Foy

Explorer
The topper question; Rocky Mountain roads/trails

sKunk,

The guy I bought my heavy fiberglass topper from had it set up on a rack framed between poles wide enough apart to back his pickup between. The poles were connected by a longitudinal brace parallel to the truck bedrails. The topper sat on cross-braces were set upon the longitudinal braces affixed to the poles and were high enough to back the truck beneath. He could back the truck underneath, climb into the back from the tailgate, stand hunched over inside the bed, and lift the front of the topper off of the rack with his shoulders. He'd then kick the support out of the way and let the topper down onto the bedrail. Same trick with the back end, and he'd then just use 6 aluminum clamps, 3 on each side, to secure it. I've thrown a folding military cot into the back, saving space since I can stow all sorts of gear under the cot, and have spent some nights back there. Not bad, and it's surely CHEAP (I paid $300 for the nice, roomy topper).

As to getting around in the Rockies and the Southwest, most of what you're likely to do will be on BLM or Forest Service land. The great, great majority of roads and trails are used by the BLM and the USFS people and they generally run full-sized 4WD pickups. The only real problems I've had with mine in Montana and Idaho is it's wheelbase and turning radius (F350 CC longbed), and as long as I've got room for a 3, 5, or 7-point turn, no worries, just a little slow going.

Foy

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
I say build your own:Wow1: camper/canopy. Check out the build thread in my signature.... Cheers, Chiili.:)

navigator

Adventurer
I've thought about it a great deal and figure a topper would work great when I get my next pickup.
The kids are young enough I could basically put a piece of plywood across the mid section up by the cab for them to sleep on and my wife and I can sleep in the bed of the truck.

There are some great threads that might give some ideas on what you can do
(you'll have to scroll a bit on some of these)

I like # 123
http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...awer-storage-system/page13?highlight=sleeping

and #170
http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...awer-storage-system/page17?highlight=sleeping

here is another I like.
http://www.bajataco.com/Camper1.html

Clutch

<---Pass
i have a cheap truck camper for sale. i could even meet you in Sidney or somewhere around that if you like.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/80143-old-8-foot-slide-in-120w-solar-1000-obo-wyoming

we used if for 2 people and a cat, our cat made it cramped but with just the 2 of us it was great. we are just looking to upgrade a bit.

That camper is great! I have plans for one in of my handyman books that is eerily similar in design.

Camping with a cat!? Man-O-Man...my girlfriend would love if her cat would go camping with us, I think it would freak out and get lost in the woods though.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears