Idaho wolf hunt

Explorer
I love wolves and I think hunting them is a great idea. Wolves have lived amongst people from the start, their adaptation and development as a species has always been influenced by an interaction with people. Wolves need to avoid people and learn the dangerous of becoming dependent on livestock. Hunting is a great way to cull the herd and take out the ones that are less cunning.

I wouldn't personally go on a wolf hunt because I don't enjoy killing predators. I'm glad there are people that do, and I hope they respect what they are hunting. The wolf is important to the deer, elk, bear, rabbit, eagle etc. these animals all became what they are today by living with and competing with the wolf.

Now we just need to get the Buffalo back out in the wild...

huntertibbs

Because of a repair to my truck and my hunting partner having plans the whole month of December our hunt has been rescheduled for January.

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk

Soobarubin

Observer
I love wolves and I think hunting them is a great idea. Wolves have lived amongst people from the start (snip)

(/snip) The wolf is important to the deer, elk, bear, rabbit, eagle etc.

I don't want to get into a heated debate at all, or step on any toes. All I'm going to say, is that in the ecosystem's of Idaho, Montana, and Wyoming had a natural predator, the timber wolf, not a whole lot bigger than a coyote, the wolves that have since been reintroduced, are NOT natural predators at all.

-Jaren

sisu

Adventurer
Hope ya nail one. I've seen & held every color phase you can think of. Good luck beautiful pelt

Co-opski

Expedition Leader
I love wolves and I think hunting them is a great idea. Wolves have lived amongst people from the start, their adaptation and development as a species has always been influenced by an interaction with people. Wolves need to avoid people and learn the dangerous of becoming dependent on livestock. Hunting is a great way to cull the herd and take out the ones that are less cunning.

I wouldn't personally go on a wolf hunt because I don't enjoy killing predators. I'm glad there are people that do, and I hope they respect what they are hunting. The wolf is important to the deer, elk, bear, rabbit, eagle etc. these animals all became what they are today by living with and competing with the wolf.

Now we just need to get the Buffalo back out in the wild...

x2

haven

Expedition Leader
I know nothing about hunting in general, and wolf hunting in particular. But this suggestion sounds illegal at worst, and unsportsmanlike at best. Is it?
"...better yet, take a cow call or a calf call"

Here's another questionable suggestion. "Buy extra tags!" Isn't there a limit per person?

shredwagon

Observer
Just sayin, up here it costs about $50,000 a pop (with fancy collar) to introduce and monitor one of these guys. How much your license go for?

huntertibbs

A license costs 31.75 for non- residents, your allowed 2 tags for the season which runs until March 31st

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk

john101477

Photographer in the Wild
As was stated before the Timber wolf was a native predator of idaho not the monsters that you see in Idaho now. as far as being great for the deer and elk and moose populations, Since this breed of wolf was introduced to idaho the populations of the other three have deteriorated in any area that you see a wolf/pack. Odd I just had this discussion with someone else. Many of the supporters that were for the introduction are now having second thoughts because of the destructive tendancies of these huge predators. The way than many think of the wild Hog in the southern half of the country is how many feel about the wolf in the northern states.

As was stated, predator calls work well. I have used elk and turkey calls for coyotes and bobcat, should work on a wolf just fine. Good Luck

Explorer
Stating what wolf was or wasn't here is pretty speculative. Bones of elephant, rhino, muskox, lion, camel, sloth, caribou, Bison etc. have all been found around my home hear in Montana.

An argument to support the idea that a large Canadian wolf living in these parts not long ago is feasible. Its likely that the Canadian wolf migrated back and forth from the bison and caribou herds. The recent eradication of the bison (and wolves) could certainly have distorted the range of said wolves. Documented kills of very large +100lb wolves certainly exist in Montana before the reintroduction of anything.

As an avid hunter I see first hand what the wolf is doing to the deer and elk populations, there is no doubt that we need to keep things in check by hunting the wolf. Equally import is bringing back the bison. Bison would do wonders for feeding wolves and they would be great for us hunters to bag on occasion. It would sure take the pressure of the deer and elk.

Doesn't anyone find it odd that Bison are the only natural animal not allowed to roam freely?

john101477

Photographer in the Wild
Stating what wolf was or wasn't here is pretty speculative. Bones of elephant, rhino, muskox, lion, camel, sloth, caribou, Bison etc. have all been found around my home hear in Montana.

An argument to support the idea that a large Canadian wolf living in these parts not long ago is feasible. Its likely that the Canadian wolf migrated back and forth from the bison and caribou herds. The recent eradication of the bison (and wolves) could certainly have distorted the range of said wolves. Documented kills of very large +100lb wolves certainly exist in Montana before the reintroduction of anything.

As an avid hunter I see first hand what the wolf is doing to the deer and elk populations, there is no doubt that we need to keep things in check by hunting the wolf. Equally import is bringing back the bison. Bison would do wonders for feeding wolves and they would be great for us hunters to bag on occasion. It would sure take the pressure of the deer and elk.

Doesn't anyone find it odd that Bison are the only natural animal not allowed to roam freely?

You must live near a zoo lol
There are tales of mammoth in the northern states but I have never heard of lion or muskox. Of course we are talking 10,000 years ago. many of the spcies that once roamed are no longer evben around. many sub species have formed off of those that existed here before But I do see your point.
I have mixed feelings about bison roaming free. Much like the dangers of Moose in Alaska, I can see potential for a lot of distruction to anything man made lol. It would be cool though to see the herds come back. I am all for true conservation (responsible management of land and animals, not the newer extemist definition)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger