• 33x11

Votes: 10 19.2%
  • 33x10

Votes: 37 71.2%

• Total voters

Fargo

Adventurer
I voted 33x10 or 255/85R16.

I don't know your terrain that well so you can take my vote with a grain of salt. But here is my reasoning with some questions.

How much cutting do you plan to do to the fenders and how much lift do you want to run? Moving from a small 31"x9" to a big 35x12.5" tire is a huge jump. That is going to take a lot of cutting to get that to stuff into the fenders or its going to take a lot of lift to keep it out of the fenders. I just don't see how a tire that fat will stuff into a stock Suburban fender. On the other hand, if you go with a BFG or Toyo 255/85R16 you are only giving up about an inch of tire diameter (1/2" of clearance under the axle) and you are saving 3" of width. Going with a narrower tire will allow you to now stuff the tires into wheel wells much easier with less lift. This should give you a better handling vehicle with a lower center of gravity.

I know you already purchased rims, but I would also strongly suggest you look at the BFG KO2 in the new 34x10.5R17 size. If I'm not mistaken the BFG AT was designed for the desert. I think this tire would really serve you the best.

Once you decide on tire size, then you will really have to consider what you need for backspacing on the rim. You want just enough backspacing so the tire doesn't rub the inside of the fender well when the wheels are turned at full lock. Check it on flat ground and when its stuffed. If you push the tire out too far, even a narrow tire might get into the outside of the wheel well. Then you will have to cut the fenders. On the other hand, if you put on a tire that is to fat. you will get rubbing inside the fender as well as having to cut the outside of the fender.

So for those reasons its going to be easier for fit tall skinny tires.

EDIT: I have no experience with lifted Suburbans. I can not tell you how much less lift a 255/85 will require than a 35x12.5.

Last edited:

Kmrtnsn

Explorer
Since it's a Suburban and you're going to have to lift it anyway then the only size you should really be looking at is 35x12.50R16 or 315/75R16.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
I voted 285s as they are easily sourced pretty well anywhere. The 255s, are a little harder to find in stock. No other reason than that. I love my 285s.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
I voted 285/75-16. I run that size and have run the others in the past. While I prefer the 255 for fuel savings, the 285 is easier to find if you're in a pinch.
If they all fit I think the differences are negligible in performance.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle