Ideas for 4 x 8 Harbor Freight Trailer

ndkshns

So I have had this trailer for about 10 years now. Its a great little trailer and the wife and I bought us a jeep about 2 years ago. So as these things progress I would like to build a camping trailer out of the 4x8. I have looked over the forum and see people using the 4 x 4 trailer. Anyone have a build thread using the 4 x 8? I dont have a welder (yet) and I dont have alot of extra cash laying around so I need something that can be built using hand tools. I want to keep it compact.

sassy gopher

First decide what you want, what you need, and what you can afford. From there read through the many builds here for inspiration.

ndkshns

well that is what i am doing, I am thinking first and for most i need to get the thing sitting a bit higher. its got the little tires on it. My thought was to raise the deck above the fenders and tuck them. that would give me a 62" width and a 96" deck length. I would like to A. do a box on bottom and then a folding top to put my tent on and gear below, or B. Build a crawl in with storage kinda like a tear drop style. I would like to have enough storage for tools and spare parts. Of course we want a kitchen as well.

Nuclear Redneck

Adventurer
There is a huge amount of information on tnttt.com and tventuring.com. I would suggest looking at the Explorer Box DIY plans from Compact Camping Concepts.

SJEEPER

Observer
The ArmyRN thread is awesome. Be prepared to spend some time absorbing it. I don't think I've made it through it all yet.

Here's a link to my Explorer Box build I did last summer. This was built on a HF 1200# 4x8 frame cut down to 4x6. I probably have less than $600 in it's current state.

http://tventuring.com/trailerforum/thread-206.html

Nice build, good work on the box.

I started one about 2 years ago, put it together. Then spent $$ getting a new axle, 15" rims and off road tires. That setup was about a $600 investment in all. Then I bought a 1/2 ton and trashed the idea. Lol, tried to sell it on craigslist but no one wants to pay that much for an HF trailer, even if it looks bad *****. So been sitting in my garage, maybe one day I will finish it. haha.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle