Ideas for a pop-up topper, not camper. Need Help!

jnelson4x4taco

Adventurer
Hey all, i've seen a bunch of really creative stuff here and its gotten my mind going on an idea. My brother in law and I have been kicking around some ideas for a pop up topper and think we may have come up with a neat plan. Now im bringing it to you guys to help make sure we're not missing anything huge before we embark on this journey. He is good with welding aluminum, so i know the welds would be solid, and a neighbor has some experience sewing canvas so we're counting on him to help out with the canvas portions. Also, this will be going on a 2006 double cab Tundra, and if its successful, he hopes to try one for a Tacoma, too.

Our idea is somewhat of a combination popup camper/flippac/AT habitat. Ive read through miniorf's build of his awesome aluminum pop top based off of a contractor shell and it got me really excited about the possibility. I also really enjoyed seeing the new AT Tacoma Habitat.

Basically we would start by building an aluminum shell, similar to a contractor shell, but have it extend above the cab about 4 feet. Then build a lid, fit it with some canvas, and take some ideas from FWC or ATC on a lift system. We would skin it with thin aluminum, insulate the sides and then finish off the inside with maybe some 1/4 or 1/8 birch for coziness (if thats a word). It would basically be a small and light popup that would mount to the bedrails like a topper. It would pop straight up and have a bed up top above the cab. It would probably have 2 big ambulance doors at the rear, which would allow us to still utilize the bed for large objects.

The reason for doing this is that my wife and I do a lot of day trips and would like to have a space to hang out in bad weather. We also have a new baby, so having a place to get out of the sun/rain/snow etc. or to feed/nap in relative privacy would be nice. We currently have a popup trailer and while its nice for overnight stuff, its not as convenient for day trips. The topper would be lightweight (aluminum), and be quick to pop up. I would probably add a bed rug, and maybe build out a bench/countertop for quick Jetboil tasks. A table and chuckbox would make up an outside kitchen at the rear. I would love to continue the build with a rear ARB awning and room for added protection if needed.

Thoughts? Advice? Tips?

Thanks in advance for reading my short novel, I tend to get long winded, especially since we're more of the napkin drawing type, not the CAD drawing type, so i dont have much to show...yet haha.

Last edited:

jnelson4x4taco

Adventurer
Yes, something has come of this idea. My brother in law and I have been putting in a lot of hours of design into this, and have the start of the frame built so far. I plan to start a build thread and ill make sure I link to it here if anyone comes across it in the future, not that there's much content...

EDIT: Heres a link to the build thread...

http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...ure-Topper-Build-Thread?p=2089320#post2089320

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12