ideas for my overland 91/06 F350 CCLB flatbed

Greg5OH

hey guys, this is my DD truck. Plan is to be able to explore backroads, Utah, Colorado, moab, some northern forest trails. No crazy offroading. I dont want to put a camper on the back but either A) turn the rear bench into a fold out sofa, or B)put up a roof mounted tent.

Now onto hardware.
Its a 91 body with a 91 idi engine i put an hx35 intercooled turbo on.
ZF5 divorced np205, twin sticked. All on an 06 chassis, stock ride height, sitting on 37" cooper stt maxx. Monroe Gas magnum shocks.
45 gallon excursion fuel tank. Plans are True trac front and rear. No automatic lockers, and ARB are just too pricey.
Hydroboost with cooler.
I built a bumper (not complete yet) for the front with a receiver mount. Dont know if it is strong enough, you can see its skeleton in the pics below. Feels beefy, but when you are winching 8k lb truck through mud..things bend.. IUt is braced around the inner part of the boxes on the rear side after i put the front panel on.
Basicaly the whole bumper is made out of 1/8" steel, those two cross beams are 3/16 2x1". Havent figured how to incorporate nice strong shackle mounts into it yet. Its held on to the frame by 8 1/2" bolts to the stock bumper mount locations. I am open to suggestions.

What else should i be looking at to improve the truck?

herm

Adventurer
Is there a way to get some bolts through the frame in shear instead of tension? that is a much stronger way to mount things. most shackle mounts are part of the frame brackets and are mounted in shear to the frame.

other than that, MOAR LIGHTS! :victory:

love your truck! great stance. i would be wanting to put a camper on that thing.

Greg5OH

Is there a way to get some bolts through the frame in shear instead of tension? that is a much stronger way to mount things. most shackle mounts are part of the frame brackets and are mounted in shear to the frame.

other than that, MOAR LIGHTS! :victory:

love your truck! great stance. i would be wanting to put a camper on that thing.

moar lights for sure lol. I got some floods going on the backrack behidn the mesh, a small 12" light bar under the flatbed to aid in reversing, amber clearance lights along the flatbed C channel and 08 super duty cab lights on the roof.

Bolts are much stronger in tension than they are in shear, dont know why you said the other way around..In fact a 1/2" fine thread bolt has 22% more strength in tension than in shear.

and thank you for the compliment.

herm

Adventurer
my mistake. i mis-estamated the area of the bolt in my head when thinking about it, as the tension spec is in psi and the shear is in lbs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger