Ideas for secure dry storage for expo trailer?????

Can anyone help me come up with an idea for covering the cargo area of my trailer. Locking would be good but dry and protected from the wind. Any pictures or advice would be greatly appreciated. sorry I dont have any good picture from the back with the tool boxes in place. the boxes are the problem because they stick out into the cargo area. Thanks!

VanIsle_Greg

I think I need a bigger truck!
Plano brand storage bins are very nice...and cheap. I have a couple of them in my trailer, and while not waterproof, they are reasonably well sealed. This particular Plano case is actually sealed, though I am not sure how well sealed.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/PLANO-Scent-Control-Storage-Tote/30154583

Pretty good units all in all. I am very happy with the 2 I have and friends use them on their roofs racks with good success.

Titanpat57

Expedition Leader
Why not just fabricate a top/cap with 1" square tube and skin it with aluminum?

Incorporate areas in the frame design to accept the two side boxes.

NatersXJ6

Explorer
can you change the box mount so they "hang" from the rack instead of sitting on the rail and then use a roll-up style pickup tonneau cover under them?

it might actually fit under as-is?

Titanpat57

Expedition Leader
Something maybe like this..add your boxes, skin it, make a locking back door, and be done with it.

A lot to be said said about water tight and lockable, especially if your gone for the day from camp.

Attachments

• TEAILER COVER.jpg
    TEAILER COVER.jpg
    308.2 KB · Views: 32

tarditi

Explorer
Storage boxes: + modular, could be secured and weatherproof; - need to be a tetris master, may complicate load plan as items need to be accessed, can be expensive
Tonneau: + can fit odd shapes, keep items out of sight; - not waterproof (may help, but not solve water intrusion challenges), cannot bear load on cover
Lid: + can fit odd shapes, based on design may bear additional surface load; can be secured and weather-resistant; - can be the most elaborate/complicated design
Expanded steel top: + relatively inexpensive material; can secure contents well, can bear surface load; - no weather protection, design requires framing and reinforcement to bear a load

Does a lid need to be on/off or could it be segmented?
Perhaps a section before the boxes, a section the length of the boxes, then a section after the boxes to the tailgate.
Another option could be a rigid deck between the boxes and then hinged lids fore and aft... depends on what you put in the trailer.
With creative design, the lids could be removable entirely so you are not cargo-height limited.

All very good info! Thanks! I will need to process this..... Titan, did your draw that up for me? Very nice work! I like that idea. I have thought about just making a portion of the cargo area sealed... but I think having it all enclosed would be best for what I use the trailer for. One other thing titans drawing made me think about is the option of being able to sleep or or two kids in the cargo area if needed. Our kids are getting bigger and I have been thinking about where to put them. I could convert it into a second sleeping space in an emergency, if needed. hmmmm. so many options.

twiisted71

Adventurer
depending on your fab skills and equipment, I'd suggest building a skeleton frame with max. 1" square aluminum tubing and skin it with either light gauge aluminum or 1/4" plywood. you can paint the plywood with a few coats of f'glass resin to make it waterproof. P-wood is very easy to work with and bends easily as well as being easy to replace if it ever gets damaged.

I know it will be heavier but I was thinking steel tubing and light sheet metal skin. I have never been a fan of working with plywood. Maybe it comes from 8 years of working at a custom cabinet shop. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger