Ideas on attaching 100w solar panel to roof rack?

J.Spicoli

Looking for ideas, preferably quickly detachable ways to secure the solar panel to the roof racks on my shell kind of like in the pic below (hopefully it shows up). I have the round bars if that helps.

tacoma-leer-shell-jpg.744835

Last edited:

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
I have Yakima round bars on my truck and have attached all kinds of stuff with the Yakima keyed locks that wrap around the bars. Everything can go on and off with just a key. Cheaper alternative is to use galvanized thinwall conduit clamps from Home Depot. The Yak bars are about 1.2" (or something like that) and I think the nominal 1" clamps fit around the bars. May need to go up a size, depending on what/how you are mounting.

B

BPD53

Here is mine. Aluminum square tube with conduit hangers. Simple/easy/cheap. I leave mine 24/7, but they could be removed in about 10-20 minutes. Hope that helps.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    366.1 KB · Views: 213
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    377.2 KB · Views: 201
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    471.6 KB · Views: 190
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    542.5 KB · Views: 167

fog cutter

Adventurer
multipart question: are the panels low enough to utilize the racks for, well, racks? did you fabricate the telescoping arms? and, is there any way to secure the slack cable when the panel is down & driving?

J.Spicoli

Here is mine. Aluminum square tube with conduit hangers. Simple/easy/cheap. I leave mine 24/7, but they could be removed in about 10-20 minutes. Hope that helps.

Now that's a great setup! You say you can drive with them on top but obviously not angled up? I'm assuming that includes freeway too? Wasn't looking to be able to adjust the angle on mine but your idea is so simple I may as well. I'd have to modify slightly as I'd like more of a quick release system. Thanks for sharing those pics that really helps me think plan this out.

Last edited:
B

BPD53

multipart question: are the panels low enough to utilize the racks for, well, racks? did you fabricate the telescoping arms? and, is there any way to secure the slack cable when the panel is down & driving?

Yes I can use the racks. I haul a canoe on them just above the solar panel. The telescopic arm is a Perko hatch adjuster. I secured most everything with rivets. The slack in the cable doesn't move. I have never noticed it or needed to secure it. The mc4 cable is pretty stiff stuff. I used Bimini top quick release pins at the rear and it has worked for thousands of miles.

B

BPD53

Now that's a great setup! You say you can drive with them on top but obviously not angled up? I'm assuming that includes freeway too? Wasn't looking to be able to adjust the angle on mine but your idea is so simple I may as well. I'd have to modify slightly as I'd like more of a quick release system. Thanks for sharing those pics that really helps me think plan this out.

I drive at highway speeds all the time. The panel is secure. Conduit hangers are pretty strong. I used quick release truss clamps for my shovel mount. You may be able to use them. Good luck. I sourced parts from any different places to make my rack/solar setup.

Don't believe some of the rich/elite/"professionals" when they say you need the newest slimline-XR7500-ultra slick-flux capacitor setup. I built mine on a budget. You can too! I bet my stuff is just as tough as the high end products (theirs does look better)��

Last edited by a moderator:

calstar

Observer
Don't believe some of the rich/elite/"professionals" when they say you need the newest slimline-XR7500-ultra slick-flux capacitor setup. I built mine on a budget. You can too! I bet my stuff is just as tough as the high end products (theirs does look better)��

Agree 100%. Very nice and simple system, thanks for the pics. Brian

robgendreau

Explorer
I made a simple frame with my 100W panel, essentially just two aluminum bars bolted to the aluminum frame of the panel, and then two attached at top with a screw pivot and a chain between so it would stand like an easel. It easily attaches to a rack if need be with rope, bungies, etc. Makes it easy to put it in the sun with the vehicle in the shade via an extension cord. I actually used aluminum bars from some Harborfreight 60" clamps; my metal provider was closed and it turned out they were probably cheaper than the bar I was gonna buy raw....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior