If ever a thread needed pictures...door galley idea

stormlover

Adventurer
Brent pics of door galley boxes are hard to find. I feel very strongly Sportsmobile discourages them being shared, especially in the smb4um. Thanks for sharing yours, please leave it up. I like that design.

I like your idea but sorry I call BS on your conspiracy theory:rolleyes:

Mwilliamshs

Explorer
I like your idea but sorry I call BS on your conspiracy theory:rolleyes:

It has been a long time since I looked (gave up, frankly) but there aren't many if any door galley pics or details of any kind on smb4um, every time someone on a forum has SMB build an interior you hear "I'd rather not share details of my interior" or some line about "I paid someone else to do the interior so no pics" etc. I'm not saying it's a conspiracy as such, nor am I blaming Sportsmobile for protecting the intellectual property of their business by not sharing plans or details, but I do think they prefer things that way. I don't use the SMB DYO (not diy?) studio often but I don't remember a door galley there either.

stormlover

Adventurer
It has been a long time since I looked (gave up, frankly) but there aren't many if any door galley pics or details of any kind on smb4um, every time someone on a forum has SMB build an interior you hear "I'd rather not share details of my interior" or some line about "I paid someone else to do the interior so no pics" etc. I'm not saying it's a conspiracy as such, nor am I blaming Sportsmobile for protecting the intellectual property of their business by not sharing plans or details, but I do think they prefer things that way. I don't use the SMB DYO (not diy?) studio often but I don't remember a door galley there either.

Well, I don't get that sense at all. They hardly have a presence on Expedition Portal or the SMB forum. You imply that they are moderating the forums to discourage SMB enthusiasts from posting about their builds? Sorry, but I find that a bit over the top but hey good luck with your door galley. My door is falling off so I'm looking for ideas and thanks for posting yours.

FYI, here's a recent thread. http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=14705

Toolman

Explorer
Toolman,

Yes, it's a standard T-Top from GTRV. I'm out of town for a few days, but will try to post up some pics when I return.

Or, you can check out my thread on www.sportsmobileforum.com --> GTRV Conversion on a Ford E350 EB

Cheers,
Brent

I recently considered plunking down the money on the SMB PHT, but I didn't, just can't afford to pay someone to hack my van into shreds then fill it with tech screws.
Thank you for the link. I like your build, the GTRV top is the nicest pop top I've seen to date. I knew they existed however I've only ever seen them on RB Vans. Looks like a trip to Nor Cal is in order. The Fan-tastic is a must and cannot be added to a SMB Penthouse top. I like the CCV door galley, serious locking and popping with all those fancy hinges and such. Nice design and priced right.

Raul

Adventurer
Mine. Still need some finishing touches like power for a light and phone chargers, the top is intended to be used as cubby and cup holder when in driving mode. Fits with the captain chairs and when in camper mode, (no second row chairs) it can be open from the inside.

Reactions: WVI

Paddy

Adventurer
I have been mulling similar ideas. Let me inject this little thought: what is the point of cooking outside vs inside? For us, we don’t like food smells inside and we don’t like to go outside to cook when cold/windy etc. So the reality is that for us, cooking FOOD (real meals) can be done only outside, and making COFFEE and soup and other simple quick stuff can be done inside. THEREFORE, two stoves can be implemented, a bigger kitchen model folds up or slides in low on the door cab, or the door itself, and a smaller coffee burner can be permanently mounted up higher just inside the door. Cook tops are cheap enough and compact enough that it doesn’t have to be complicated, just use two for the two different modes. That also gives the option of running extra burners while cooking to heat water or make cocoa etc.
Or another idea is just make the stove loose and able to move positions.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78