If I ran the Land Cruiser Devlopment Division:

Upland80

Adventurer
I'd say a Land Cruiser with a 2850 mm wheel-base, coil sprung, solid full-float rear axle, solid front axle, e-lockers, manual seats, inline 6, and those cool horizontal sliding rear passenger windows...wait a minute- :confused:

ExPo4Runner

Land Cruiser Fanatic
I'd say a Land Cruiser with a 2850 mm wheel-base, coil sprung, solid full-float rear axle, solid front axle, e-lockers, manual seats, inline 6 diesel, and those cool horizontal sliding rear passenger windows...wait a minute- :confused:
There ya go, I fixed it for ya ;)

Dalko43

Explorer
I mean if Toyota did something as simple as taking the pre-existing LC 200 platform, putting a solid axle up front and an emissions-compliant Cummins V8 in the engine bay, I think they'd have a real seller on their hands....the market for those types of vehicles is out there. People will go pay $25k-$35k for some 25 year old, rusted out, Japanese hand-me-down and even more for a 90's era gasoline Defender.

(beans)

Observer
I love the ideas in this thread!

If I ran Toyota, I would do almost everything the same way they do now. However, I'd love to see the GX versions, the 70 series models, and the diesel options the rest of the world get...

Unfortunately they way car manufactures are structured in this country, you have to sell each customer multiple cars throughout their lifetimes to stay afloat... if we had those other options, customers wouldn't need to upgrade more than once in their lifetime. Hence the non-gx/non-diesel/non-25 year life cycle cruisers here in the states...

Last edited:

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
I got tired of waiting. I decided to build my own version....

I started with a complete J80 frame, suspension, steering, and axle. The body is going to be FJ45-esk pickup with a small step-side style bed. I am running an all aluminum 325hp 5.3L V8 engine with a wide ratio 6spd automatic. I retained the full time 4wd feature of the original chassis, but am using a transfer case with a 1.2:1 underdrive high range and 3.32:1 low range. With the new body I can run a 40" tire package without having to run any 'lift' on the factory suspension. If the suspension is very close to stock height it should have very good road manors. I will be improving the suspension with a much better shock package...and perhaps better bumpstops eventually. The top system is going to be a modular hard topsystem where I can remove certain panels for nice days and open air....or close the vehicle up and have it be lockable...or to replace certain panels if they are damaged. I also decided to narrow up the body by pinching the door openings. I always thought the stock FJ40 was a little bit wide in the hips at 63.5" wide. The body on this truck is only about 55.5-56" wide now. I think that is a much better match for the 63" wide axles. Now the body is about 3" narrower than something like a Jeep CJ/YJ/TJ. Beyond that it is more 'normal' type stuff.....bumpers, rocker protection, winch, belly skidplates, approach/breakover/departure angle improvements, etc.

There are a ton of neat parts available from a lot of different vehicles and in the aftermarket. I don't see any reason to wait for an OEM to build something when I can do it in my garage!

AK.xplorer

Observer
You forgot the unicorn skin seats and the perpetual motion engine. ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes sir, you got it. We'll call that the California compliant model. This model will also have quadruple catalytic converters, quadruple smog pumps, and quadruple egr valves.

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
Having sat down in a formal meeting with the gents that DO run the LC R&D/Engineering division... don't expect any of your wild dreams to come true ;)

IMG_5164 (Small).JPG
Koyari-San (lead Land Cruiser engineer) and myself

Oh yeah, Toyota posted record profits in 2015 and LC sales continue to grow following some weak sales in the 2008-2011 era. The new 2016 is selling well here in the US and the 7x platforms abroad continue to sell well.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Guys who trade in their FJ-Cruiser bubble mobiles, would get a 500 dollar rebate check, so that I could crush them to be recycled.

I actually sent a "congratulations for coming to your senses!" email to Toyota when they announced they were dropping the FJ "cruiser" from their line-up. They didn't reply for some strange reason...

Upland80

Adventurer
Having sat down in a formal meeting with the gents that DO run the LC R&D/Engineering division... don't expect any of your wild dreams to come true ;)

View attachment 339055
Koyari-San (lead Land Cruiser engineer) and myself

Oh yeah, Toyota posted record profits in 2015 and LC sales continue to grow following some weak sales in the 2008-2011 era. The new 2016 is selling well here in the US and the 7x platforms abroad continue to sell well.

Which one is Koyari-San?? :) Kidding of course...that's a really cool pic!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78