If they brought the Jimny over to the states, would you pick one up?

Cackalak Han

Explorer
Oh, if they had a 4 door hard/soft top? Wow, that would be awesome. Yeah, I'd say a good chunk of the Wrangler market, since no one else is offering a drop top 4WD. If they made a "Scrambler" version, that'd be awesome, too.

jingram

Adventurer
I drove one of these all over Aruba offroad. They are available in hard or soft top. The hard top I drove was not a removable top. High and Low range 4wd, and solid front axle. It had a 1.5L diesel and it was awesome!! I would buy one in a heartbeat! We followed a group of Defender 110s to this place called the natural pool and it had no issues. We were lucky though as we had fresh rubber on the Zuk and most rental Zuks on the island are running bald tires.

Cackalak Han

Explorer
If they brought over that exact one to the US (softtop, diesel, sfa), I'd go put a deposit down today. Bet it was pretty fun driving it.

muzzy5.0

Mine's got some Jimny in it. Goes pretty much anywhere I point it...

2crvwh0.jpg

troy

Adventurer
Suzuki brought Jimny's into the U.S. through an importer in the early 70's. I know, cause I have one. It is softtop, solid axle, hi-low range, 5 spd and is recieving a 1.6TD VW swap.

By the time it gets imported to the U.S. and complies with all the federal requiremnts, it'll be another overpriced new car. Build what you want from parts that are already here. :ylsmoke:

mikeg

Dont knock the mighty midget

I couldn't pass without a comment from downunder on the Jimny. I've had one for about 4 years and it's been terrific. I'm an "old bloke" who has been criss crossing the Aussie outback for many years in many different vehicles from Landcruisers, Jeeps, International 4x4s and Rangerovers. The Jimny is my third Suzi and the best of the bunch. I have completed many hard trecks in it the last being 3 weeks up to Cape York in some of the worst conditions with 2 people on board plus a roof top tent and food, water, fuel and beer for the three weeks. The biggest problem was running out of beer half way through. The Suzi made easy going of it all the way, I even had to pull out a bogged Lancruiser from soft sand. The only mods to mine are uprated shocks and springs all else is standard. Even grossly overloaded like we were with all the supplies it handled it well.

Maddmatt

Explorer
I couldn't pass without a comment from downunder on the Jimny. I've had one for about 4 years and it's been terrific. I'm an "old bloke" who has been criss crossing the Aussie outback for many years in many different vehicles from Landcruisers, Jeeps, International 4x4s and Rangerovers. The Jimny is my third Suzi and the best of the bunch. I have completed many hard trecks in it the last being 3 weeks up to Cape York in some of the worst conditions with 2 people on board plus a roof top tent and food, water, fuel and beer for the three weeks. The biggest problem was running out of beer half way through. The Suzi made easy going of it all the way, I even had to pull out a bogged Lancruiser from soft sand. The only mods to mine are uprated shocks and springs all else is standard. Even grossly overloaded like we were with all the supplies it handled it well.

A review like that is likely to make me want one.....

PS: Welcome aboard

Last edited:

RAV4fun

Observer
Boy, I haven't been on here in awhile, but this thread couldn't be passed up!

I'm living in Israel at the moment and the Jimny is all over the place! They are solid axle, diesel option rigs and I've seen some set up for serious fun. The room inside isn't great, but if you can do it in a Sami, Jeep, or FJ-40...it'll fit in a Jimny. I'd love to bring a diesel back with me, but it's just not in the cards...:drool:

cobratom

Approved Vendor
I had a Jimny is Cuba for a week. Great vehicle and I would certainly purchase one given the oppertunity in Canada or import one if they were allowed in Canada, but unfortunately are not at present. Very fun, very capable and a very "back to basics" style of vehicle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears