If you can't afford a winch.

buckshot500

Observer
Bad reviews or not, I have used cheap 2 ton come-a-longs to get unstuck on several occasions.

The one time I used this 4 ton it worked even better.

I'm not saying it's the best you can get, but it does work, and it's only $30.00.

Sure I take my winch mounted on a hitch plate when I know I'm gonna be wheeling.

But this 4 ton stays in my jeep at all times.

Never use a cheater bar.

XJINTX

Explorer
My buddies 3/4 ton truck broke down and we used my hauler and truck to bring him home. His truck was dead and my trailer is a dovetail... had to get it on.

It was a real PIA to get in on with just the two of us. I had a come along in the truck's toolbox. It worked... about 2 feet at a time... block wheeels move 2 more feet. Took a long time and a lot of work but we finally got it on. I guess it saved us that time!

Now trailer has a winch :)

T_TT

wyeth-scott.jpg

1st photo of it before placing it with the rest of my recovery gear. It also comes with a snatch block that is not in the photo. Sorry no photos of it in use. I not good at grabbing the camera.

I purchased the Wyeth-Scott "More Power Puller" after having to recover myself with a hi-lift while near the hunting shack. Like many others I had to decide between an electric or manual winch/come-along. I choose the wyeth-scott with synthetic winch line as my first selection. I did this for a variety of reasons; multiple directions of pull, can move to different vehicles, can be used for other tasks, it will compliment an electric winch when I purchase one, price, the companies reputation, ect.

In my opinion the "More Power Puller" is a good investment to compliment your other recovery gear and a good first self-recovery tool. Since I purchased it I have used it to; recover ATV's & my jeep from being stuck, direct a tree while cutting it down away from a building, & load a car onto a trailer.

I agree with others you should not wheel alone. However, the reality is we go out into the woods by ourselves or with only one vehicle for many reasons other then to push your vehicle's limits, and it's nice to have something...even if you must use some muscle.

Last edited:

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
We ran a tire off of the trail on Mt. Blanka. Thats a super scary trail on a cliff in Colorado. We use the Wyeth-Scott to pull it sideways and the front winch to pull us forward and back on the trail. I allways wanted one after that.

TwoTrack

Buy Once, Cry Once
I have a 6' Hi-lift and have had to use it as a winch 3 times. It's a slow process but when your stuck you aren't going anywhere anyway. I prefer the hi-lift because it has so many uses. It's a great tool and I never head for the woods without it.

irishjeeper

I would go with a High Lift, its a very usefull tool, and much more reliable and safer than a cheap or even a better comealong, I have a special head that I can put on mine that I have used to split fire wood before although kinda slow going but worked great for hardwoods, even pressed out u-joints.

dxpope

I've used hand winches, electric winches, pto driven winches, the hi lift and a couple other improvised pulling devices in a pinch. The two best tools you can use when stuck is the soft one between your ears and plenty of patience in planning a winch pull it an "iffy" situation. At the end of the day it is how you use what you have rather than how much you spent on what you are using.

If you are going to use a "come-along"

Get a chain one, no twisted, frayed, overrun, bound up cables. Just a chain that goes from one small pile to another next to the puller head. Once you use a chain come-along you will be throwing the cable ones off cliffs or into deep water

Bob

Cards81fan

Osage Hilltopper
I have an old Deuer Mini Mule, which I found in my grandfather's shed after he passed away. I remember using it as a boy with my father a few times, to put tension on trees while felling them, and once to pull folded fenders and bed quarter panel on a wrecked Ford Ranger to get it drivable again :D (sheet metal was folded onto the tires). I would say it's a quality piece, when compared to the Harbor Freight/Northern Tool specials, though it's only a 2 ton and that's the largest Deuer makes. If they made a 4 ton version, I'd keep one in the truck for sure.

WCO

It's Lil' Willi
Come alongs can be dangerous, but I never leave the house without at least one. They're cheap, stow easy under a back seat or tool box, and can really save your ***** in a pinch. I've grown up ranching and use four wheel drive on a regular, and have used come alongs for a long time, not only getting un-stuck, but also for moving logs, rocks, dead cows, etc. Just make sure you have some old blankets around to lay over the line when winching, just incase it should break. I like to soak mine in water if I can to add some weight. Its not as handy or ideal as a winch, but less cumbersom than a high-lift, and cheap enough to replace when needbe.....just my 2 cents

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998