If you couldn't own an FJ?

ChuckB

Expedition Leader
I haven't owned one, but I would look hard at mid 80's to early '00 G-Wagens. Also debating the 4-dr Rubicon...

BreckBJ44

Observer
Perish the thought... I've had a 40, 60, 80, 44 and now another 80 (don't worry, I kept the BJ44). For overlanding or longer trips, I liked the 60, 44, and 80 in that order due to hating the automatic transmission.

So if Someone came and took all the TLCs off of the planet? Money not being an option, I'd look at a unimog/D110/G-wagen for overlanding and the gx470/tacoma/xterra as a more DD/trip vehicle.

MaverickTRD

Adventurer
Great input all! Thanks for the feedback....

My first choice will be FJ60, if not available then a K5 blazer or a WJ grand cherokee. Next would be an xterra

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Good choices! K5s are a great platform if done right. I had a 305 with 4spd in one and it even got great mpgs...

RR1

Explorer
Willys Wagon or Dodge PW too...probably do the Willys over the Dodge since it is smaller. Plenty of cool vehicles out there...if there were no TLC's. But since there are TLC's here....HJ47 or a 60 on an 80 frame, or FJ45...sure do like that mint green one Proffitts has on their website.

1955_Willys_Jeep_Wagon_Chevrolet_V8_Ranch_Truck_For_Sale_Front_1.jpg

129_0801_01_z+1950_dodge_power_wagon+passenger_side_view.jpg

1984_Toyota_Land_Cruiser_HJ47_Troop_Carrier_Troopie_Front_1.jpg

IMG_2632.jpg

ks27.jpg

esh

Explorer
Easy, I'd get an HJ(61) or an HZJ or HD, PJ or even KZ. :sombrero:

Having an HZ(-T) converted 62, other than converting a 60, I can't think of a more balanced platform for simplicity, relative comfort, capability and reliability. Maybe a KZ or PZ (or Benz) converted early 4runner if you don't need the carrying capacity.

Last edited:

uzj100

Adventurer
G-Wagen or 2013 Jeep Rubicon with a Turbo Diesel

Tacoma is always a thought however I prefer coil springs over leaf springs.

sourdough

Adventurer
I owned an FJ55 and then a FJ40 in the '70's. Could have owned newer LC's but chose this Willys in '89.
sizingupWillysbeforepurchase.jpg

looks like this now.
DCP_2916.jpg

Mainly looking to see what vehicles with the same task/duties in mind would you have or want to get if you weren't able to drive an FJ (hypothetically they weren't in the states etc.)
I'd especially like opinions from the 60/62 owners.
Would you go domestic like a GM product? Full size? Midsize? Would you stay with toyota like a 4runner even though they are IFS and smaller? What about a grand cherokee/cherokee? a lot of possibilities out there, but none the same as a LC

I posted a similar thread in the domestic section, i'm debating between an M1009 and an FJ60, so hopefully this will help with my reasoning lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78