If you were going to have a do everything Tacoma or Tundra, what model would you get.

deeve

Observer
Ok, so I am sold on the Tacoma's as a great truck. I have driven both gen 3 and 2 along with the new Colorado. The new gen Tacoma with the sunroof has too low a roof for me. Without the sunroof its ok. I bit close, but no rubbing of my head. I know its silly, but I just don't like the Nissan. Of that genre of truck I like the Tacomas much better. I am looking to have a daily driver and medium duty overland rig to take some BackCountry Discovery route trips, or just trips in. I have done BCDR trips on a Ural, KLR650, KTM 990 and KTM 500EXC (500EXC was the best by far) but want to bring my non riding family with me. I plan on keeping the rig for a long time and have some time before I pick something up. A little background on me. My wife and I have three kids, one is 19 and almost out of the house. My daughter is 16 and my son is 9. We also have a mini schnauzer who would love an adventure. I may have light towing, but nothing more than a 6x8 utility trailer. My trips will mostly be around the northwest and western US.

I am not decided 100% between the Tacoma and Tundra, but I am looking for reasons why a Tacoma DCLB wouldn't be the best choice. My 9 year old is going to be a big kid, but if I can fit back there at 6'3" 260 then he should be ok for a while! I do plan on putting a small 2-3" lift on it at some point because I like the look, functionality, and with the DCLB I think it proportionally makes it look better. I am NOT certain how useful the locking differential or off road suspension would be, especially if I plan on the small lift.

My question is, if you were in my shoes, what would you go with and which trim?

Perdonally, i would go with a DCSB Tundra, simply because I like the versatility. I can tow one day and off-road the next. As for trim, I would get the TRD if you can afford it. The locking differential will help a ton off-road, especially when you get into trouble areas. The suspension will just make the truck handle better, but since you are lifting it, it isn't nearly as big of an issue since lift kits usually come with shocks.

Sent from my Vortec-powered Droid Turbo using Tapatalk

Dalko43

Explorer
If it's set between Tundra and Tacoma, Tundra for sure...I think the Tacoma's rear seats will be a bit cramped for the load/passengers you are looking to carry.

Also, maybe consider a Sequoia (built off of Tundra platform) or a used LC 200 or 100? Any one of those platforms should do reasonably well on most roads and and should be able to tow your trailer with no issues. Pickup's are great for work applications (construction, hauling, hunting, ect.) while SUV's are great for moving people. The Tundra seems to give you a good compromise on both issues, but still, if you don't have a dedicated requirement for a pickup bed, a SUV may be more up your alley...my 2 cents anyways.

p nut

butter
In your shoes, Tundra Crew Max.

100%. Trying to entice teenagers to go on trips is tough enough. Then add in cramped seats? Full size is the way to go. It will be plenty capable with ATRAC. Just get a good set of tires, if you plan to head off road.

deeve

Observer
Thanks. Im surprised to see all the Tundra love, but you have me looking at them harder for sure. Unless I am mistaken the CrewMax comes with a 5.5, which seems like a great size. If I was to ever sleep in the back, I would I need the 6.5' one. How does the Double Cab compare for rear seat? I know its nowhere as big as the Crew Max, but it has more room than the Tacoma 4 door?

p nut

butter
It's going to be uncomfortable even with a long bed, at 6'3". So I wouldn't base my decision on how you're going to use the bed <1% of the time.

Get the Crewmax and slap on a RTT. Problem solved.

SIZZLE

Pro-party
The trails in my neck of the woods are pretty tight. I wouldn't get a full size for that reason. If that's not a concern for you, sounds like the tundra is a better option.

deeve

Observer
I guess that's what I need to figure out. I'm not going to go rock crawling and going up trails that would around the Oregon Coastal range with either. Something I would call "wheeling". More for trails in the western states like Utah, Idaho, Nevada, Oregon high desert. I'm thinking about the Washington Back Country Discovery Route and parts of that are a bit tight, but not unmanageable. I think they took FJ Cruisers on it during the development of it.

Clutch

<---Pass
Could get the DCLB, if you want to sleep in the bed, back seats in the DC, are about the same leg room as the Tacoma DC....but that is a looooong truck. If I was in your shoes, I would have a cab that is more about passenger comfort, your son is only going to get bigger...and get the Crew Max with a RTT, or that new AT Habitat, it looks killer. Matter of time before they have them for fullsizes...guessing demand will high for them.

DSC_0120.jpg

grampswrx

Observer
What about an older tundra? The 06 double cab came with a 74.5 inch bed. You might barely fit. The tacoma with the rear locker is only available with a short bed, so those are mutually exclusive. You would get more width and length with the older tundra, but it wouldn't be as big as the new tundras. For someone your size, I feel like the cab of the tacoma will feel small.

deeve

Observer
I have looked at the Gen 1 Tundras. Problem with them is a lower mileage one is becoming hard to
find. The appear to be a very good size though.

JCMatthews

Tour Guide
They are a good size, and are pretty capable off road. However, I am only 5'9" and just fit comfortably in the bed. I can't imagine being six inches taller and fitting without being on an angle.

Attachments

• The Dollhouse 021-1.jpg
    The Dollhouse 021-1.jpg
    168.1 KB · Views: 85
  • may-june 2011 190.jpg
    may-june 2011 190.jpg
    125.4 KB · Views: 91
  • tundra rims 004.jpg
    tundra rims 004.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:

Forum statistics