Igor's 2002 Montero gen 3 build

Igorskiy86

Observer
Did some work to the montero the other day. Installed hid projector kit that somebody used for a gen2. It was a fun project, with a huge improvement over stock, and light cut off is super sharp, so I know its not blinding anyone. The only downside is my headlight lens is in a pretty bad condition so I think that kills some of the light output, might have to swap to 55w kit. I used this kit for projectors http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CFY51A8?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00 and for hid I used a ultra kit from DDM tuning. I also used different shrouds which I got from ebay and I think they look better then what comes in a kit. Total spent on this project is under 200 dollars, so definitely worth it. Here are the results.

DSC00977.jpg

DSC00983.jpg

DSC00985.jpg

DSC00984.jpg

Igorskiy86

Observer
Finally got the rock sliders installed a little while ago as well, did not have to rely on them for protection yet, but they have been through a few trips already.

DSC00372.jpg

DSC00377.jpg

32f535f3-6994-4245-a1b9-d20c9b10658c.jpg

Igorskiy86

Observer
Lookin good Igor! When are we going out?

I want to, its just been so hard to find any time last year with my work schedule, working graveyard shift I wold just be tired all the time. This year I should have normal people hours again, just weekends in a middle of the week so possibly we can figure something out. By the way Bryan, congrats on your new 100 series.

Igorskiy86

Observer
Got to do a few more updates to the truck lately. Installed ARB bumper, 12k winch, led light bars, roof rack, new wheels, ham and cb radios. I got to go on a trip to Sedona Arizona last week, and I was really liking the progress that I have made on it so far. Couple of things that I found is that I want better gearing for it, so now I am looking in to 4.90 gears mainly for the freeway speed, and might have to do lockers at the same time. I noticed that my coolant temperature was going up to 220 degrees on long uphill sections, normally it is at 200, so might try to get the aluminum radiator. Found some good reviews of the china radiators on pajero forums from Australia. With better gearing I might switch to 33 inch tires as well. I am also looking to replace all the bushings in the front end, just thinking about that makes me dread the project. Well here are some pics from the resent trip.

12976815_1220068094684165_6985274348827411742_o.jpg

12977269_1220068284684146_4688978361652126343_o.jpg

12973471_1220068288017479_6383547154527873725_o.jpg

Monstero

Adventurer
4.9s are a great upgrade but do ARB lockers at the same time since you are in there... I just got done doing mine and love it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

2to4wheels

Adventurer
Really love how this build is progressing. A couple of things that I would love more details about are:

1. What offseat are those wheels? Are the 16x7 or 8? You are one of the few Gen IIIs that I've seen aftermarket wheels for.

2. Tell me about this roof rack. Very interested in something similar and I've haven't found anything like this? Custom fab? I love the love profile full length racks.

Igorskiy86

Observer
That roof rack is custom made, i wanted an ez awn aluminum rack, but could not justify spending the money on it. I ended up making this one, one day a rtt will be mounted to it. At the moment it is still mounted to factory rails, but at some point I will make some brackets to mount it to factory holes.
The wheels are level 8 from discount tire, and offset is 18. They are 8.5 wide. The only downside to those wheels is hub size is larger then factory, so I had to get hubcentric adapters. I really like how my tires now are flush with the fenders.

Igorskiy86

Observer
Today I finally got a hold of some parts for my next project. I was able to find a front and rear differentials from a 2001 gen3 XLS montero with 4.90 gears. I paid a little more then what I was hoping for, but 650 is not too bad, considering if I was to just buy the gear sets from Mitsubishi the price is around 900. Now the next step will be to order 2 ARB locker and compressor, really not looking to that bill. After that it will be installation time. I think locker install should be pretty straight forward and installing a rear diff on to the car should not be too bad, but the front will be a challenge.

20160426_101745.jpg

20160426_101753.jpg

20160426_101749.jpg

Igorskiy86

Observer
Finally installed a snorkel the other day. I went with one from ebay that was sold from Australia. It was about 10 dollars more then one from china, but had a Pajero sign on a side of it and I was hoping for a better quality. The fit was pretty good, but I had to do some adjustments to make it fit. The hole template provided puts the snorkel at a high angle to where it still will work, but is at higher angle then the a pillar and looks weird, had to elongate the holes to get proper fit. The second problem was the tube that runs under the fender forward was not letting me to mount the fender back to its original spot until I cut off about 3/4 of an inch from it. Pipe that fits to the air box, did not seal really well originally, but I used some gasket maker material to seal it up, and also used some of the same material to make a good seal on the connection through the fender. To install, 2 holes have to be made, one in a fender, and the other in the inner fender structure over by the headlight where we already have a small hole. Making the inner fender hole is kind of challenging because you dont have any material in a center to keep the hole saw lined up, but kit comes with a guide. Original antenna can not be used with the snorkel as it is right where the piping is. I bought one from auto zone that I think looks pretty good, but it does leave a small portion of the hole exposed, not noticeable unless you are looking for it up close. The main reason for the snorkel was to get cleaner air for my intake, still have to see if it made any difference. So far my fuel economy might have dropped slightly, but it can also be my driving since lately I was starting work at different time. Soon will get a new k&n filter and see if any changes happen, and will also keep an eye on my fuel economy.

20160419_104542.jpg

20160419_104549.jpg

Igorskiy86

Observer
this is a cool build. I dont mind getting a 3rd gen for light duty expedition travel.

Thank you. Light duty is kind of the idea behind my truck, it seems to be capable of quite a bit, but is definitely not a rock crawler or anything super hard core. The idea for is to be comfortable on the way to where ever I am going, and capable of taking me to remote places I wish to explore. One day I might look in to getting something more capable, but don't see much of a reason for that now, also difficult trails can always be done on my dirt bike. Your build is actually what gave me a lot of ideas for my build.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman