IH with Alaskan...

truck mechanic

Adventurer
I dont know where he finds this stuff, I dont know him but he always has cool stuff in his yard for sale. If I only had the $$$$$
Paul

kerry

Expedition Leader
I owned an 2wd IH truck like that in 1981. I pulled the engine from it and put it into an IH ambulance which I used to move to Colorado from NY to go t graduate school. I think it had the 266(?) or is that 288(?) V8 engine or am I completely confused. Parts were hard enough to find in 1981. Would be harder now. I recently learned that IH stopped making small trucks and Travelall's as a condition of getting some government bailout money.

BigJimCruising

Adventurer
Wow! Just like my old 68 IH, even the same color!! Sure takes me back to some of the best times I ever had camping. Sure wish I could buy it. But like said above, it was hard getting parts even in the 70's, must be impossible these days! I seem to remember the window crank handles breaking all the time! lol! But with it's "granny" low first gear you could pull trees out of the ground! I know cause I did it!! lol! All I need is more money!

Ironduff

Observer
Bravo! I like it, hugely. Pop bought a '66 IHC Scout 800 4x4 new, in white and that same green with a small 4 cylinder and 3-speed. I bought it from him after I got out of the Navy in '71, and ran it to death exploring in these mountains for about 3 years while taking a vacation on the GI bill ;).... an SUV before there were SUV's.

But I woulda gone nuts with something like this beauty! I missed enough classes as it was, without having an all-weather camper.

The aftermarket A/C brings back memories, too.....

Jim H.

KEENO

Adventurer
That rig is a total Time Capsule..... Right down the curtains! Looks to be in good shape tho...

KEENO:)

Curmudgeon

Adventurer
But like said above, it was hard getting parts even in the 70's, must be impossible these days! I seem to remember the window crank handles breaking all the time!
As a collector, and owner of five IH trucks, all I can say is you obviously weren't looking in the right places. The only parts really hard to come by are body panels for the older ones and a few of the mechanical parts. Most commonly needed mechanical parts are available at your local parts store. IH outsourced just about everything they could, so many of the parts are the same as GM/Chrysler/AMC/Ford. Last time I repaird a steering column in one of my Scouts, the parts were on the shelf at the local Chevrolet dealer.

A few years back I went to the Lincoln dealer for a part for a 10 year old Lincoln Mark VII. Unavailable, yet the car was only 10 years old? Says a lot for Ford customer support.

In the 70s IH was still making and selling light trucks. I can't imagine why you couldn't find parts. They would have been as close as your IH dealer.

JP

Last edited:

Scott39

Adventurer
Find a wrecked Dodge truck with a 12 valve Cummins, 5spd, dana 60/70, put all that in it, and your good to go.

Ironduff

Observer
Speaking to the IHC parts situation, there was a short period about '73 or '74 when a strike interfered with parts availability... maybe 2-3 months long? My old Scout 800 was at the dealer, waiting for new rear spider gears then. I'm not sure exactly _who_ was striking, but it did cause parts supply problems for the local IH dealer. We finally located the parts at the next town's Jeep dealer (Jeeps used the same center section; Dana, IIRC?).

Yes, I remember that I was surprised that so many parts were available from other makes' dealers... IIRC, I was sent to the Ford dealer for a nylon accelerator pump cam when mine broke in cold weather. Again IIRC, my starter was a GM product.

Jim H.

BigJimCruising

Adventurer
As a collector, and owner of five IH trucks, all I can say is you obviously weren't looking in the right places. The only parts really hard to come by are body panels for the older ones and a few of the mechanical parts. Most commonly needed mechanical parts are available at your local parts store. IH outsourced just about everything they could, so many of the parts are the same as GM/Chrysler/AMC/Ford. Last time I repaird a steering column in one of my Scouts, the parts were on the shelf at the local Chevrolet dealer.

A few years back I went to the Lincoln dealer for a part for a 10 year old Lincoln Mark VII. Unavailable, yet the car was only 10 years old? Says a lot for Ford customer support.

In the 70s IH was still making and selling light trucks. I can't imagine why you couldn't find parts. They would have been as close as your IH dealer.

JP

"obviously" Really?? Of course I went to the dealer, it was a pretty big dealer only a few miles from me back then but they're focus was on the big stuff, not the trucks or scouts. They didn't have the parts that kept breaking so I had to find what I could where I could. Back then the local parts shops didn't seem to be able to cross ref parts very well so I mostly had to figure out what parts from other rigs would work in the IH. Yes I did find out that IH outsourced a bunch but that didn't make them easy to find. Would have been nice to live close to a dealer or parts house that had everything I ever needed but we aren't all so blessed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78