IKamper RTT, looks pretty interesting

Jelorian

Adventurer
Looks like they are taking pre-orders on Feb. 27, 2017 on their new model, Skycamp.

http://www.ikamper.com/

Pre-order price is starting at $1950 vs full retail at starting at $2950.

Probably doesn't include the annex.

Seems you need quite a few guy lines to setup the canopy/annex but it is still a pretty unique design.

harbinger808

Adventurer
Looks like they are taking pre-orders on Feb. 27, 2017 on their new model, Skycamp.

http://www.ikamper.com/

Pre-order price is starting at $1950 vs full retail at starting at $2950.

Probably doesn't include the annex.

Seems you need quite a few guy lines to setup the canopy/annex but it is still a pretty unique design.

Looks like they took the "prototype" tent from ExpoWest and revised it to make it simpler and cheaper. I actually like these tents as they are about the same size of the largest James Baroud but provide much more sleeping space in the same package and weight. I'll most likely be pre-ordering one of these and selling my Howlingmoon 1.6m. I wonder if I could retofit my annex on this tent...

ttengineer

Adventurer
I just signed up for their email list. It looks to be the best of both worlds by combining the light weight and aerodynamics of a hard top and the size and privacy of an extended awning model.

I like the idea of just an awning or running a full annex.

Being Korean scares me though. Typically their idea of quality is not what the western worlds idea is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jelorian

Adventurer
I just signed up for their email list. It looks to be the best of both worlds by combining the light weight and aerodynamics of a hard top and the size and privacy of an extended awning model.

I like the idea of just an awning or running a full annex.

Being Korean scares me though. Typically their idea of quality is not what the western worlds idea is.

Hopefully they will realize that when it comes to RTT, quality is everything and will probably make or break their business.

ttengineer

Adventurer
It will be interesting to see what kind of mattress they use.

Ive always thought someone should partner with therm-a-rest or exped and design a blowup mattress.

Depending on what denier of nylon the use will be a huge factor as well.

harbinger808

Adventurer
It does look like the Treeline. I looked at those before I bought but there was so little info outside of their website. I like the design and the honeycomb aluminium floor is different from everyone else. The Treeline units are very lightweight. That's one of the RTT's problems in the US in general. Outside of this forum there is little to no info on RTT's. Its a pretty major purchase and literally the first one I ever saw in person was the one I bought. In fact its still the only one I have ever seen.

keep in mind that the treeline is made by this company in china
http://www.qycamping.com/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5e5JHEW-Yl4

ttengineer

Adventurer
There was a company with almost the exact same design as the one above in ashville this year.

It looked junky though if you ask me.

Flyer69

Observer
I own a JB Evasion Evo, and this one caught my eye today. The extra space would be great to have, but I'm pretty skeptical of the quality. My JB is amazingly waterproof. The aluminized fabric is really heavy duty, but the ikamper one looks like regular canvas. Can anyone shed some light on this?
I also really like the idea of an attached annex, which is something my JB lacks.
My RTT stays mounted full time on my daily driver, however I don't commute to work so that makes it more practical. This is why I chose a hardshell vs a Tepui or similar "brick" tent. I'm thinking about designing an attachable annex for my JB. There's a local sail shop that has done similar projects. If I do, I'll be sure to post it here on ExPo.

ttengineer

Adventurer
I own a JB Evasion Evo, and this one caught my eye today. The extra space would be great to have, but I'm pretty skeptical of the quality. My JB is amazingly waterproof. The aluminized fabric is really heavy duty, but the ikamper one looks like regular canvas. Can anyone shed some light on this?

It actually looks like it's made from Sil-nylon and not canvas. It also appears to have some sort of "insulation" on the walls in the form of a quilted fabric. That could be for aesthetics just for the video though.

harbinger808

Adventurer
iKamper site has newer info for the Skycamp. I asked if they can build one so it opens on the driver side vs. passenger side which is how we are setup now. Comes with a rainfly also and an annex as an accessory.

Jelorian

Adventurer
iKamper site has newer info for the Skycamp. I asked if they can build one so it opens on the driver side vs. passenger side which is how we are setup now. Comes with a rainfly also and an annex as an accessory.

It would have been nice if they thought of making the roof top symmetrical so that you could mount the opening either way, driver and passenger. However, given the fairly aerodynamic profile of the roof, I'm sure you could easily mount it with the opening driverside without taking a huge hit on wind drag. I'm almost positive it would still be better than a soft top RTT.

ttengineer

Adventurer
I really hope that someone get a test model before preorder starts. Or at the very least they provide a very detailed review/overview of the tent.

ttengineer

Adventurer
They have posted more videos now showing in a little, not much, more detail on the awning and annex. Plus they have released prices on these accessories as well. Apparently they will have 2 versions, a Poly/nylon and a Poly/cotton.

I really don't want to be the guinea pig on these but I also don't want to be stuck paying 1000 extra if I wait. I am also worried about the mattress as it doesn't look nice. But they say the shell fits bedding and clothing so I guess it will be easy to upgrade the mattress if needed.

There is another thread where some guys saw the prototype at expo west last year and were not impressed.

T minus 3 days, and the early bird will only be available for 24 hours.

harbinger808

Adventurer
They have posted more videos now showing in a little, not much, more detail on the awning and annex. Plus they have released prices on these accessories as well. Apparently they will have 2 versions, a Poly/nylon and a Poly/cotton.

I really don't want to be the guinea pig on these but I also don't want to be stuck paying 1000 extra if I wait. I am also worried about the mattress as it doesn't look nice. But they say the shell fits bedding and clothing so I guess it will be easy to upgrade the mattress if needed.

There is another thread where some guys saw the prototype at expo west last year and were not impressed.

T minus 3 days, and the early bird will only be available for 24 hours.

I saw it ExpoWest and was extemely impressed with the design... the built quality not so much. I was told by Mr.Park himself that the actual production models would be much higher quality. Once again, going back to what you stated before, do I want to gamble :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior