I'm doomed. Jeep WK.

BickMaine

So, ive been looking for something to build for a great overlander, I was down to a Jeep Or an 04 Frontier.

As I was driving by a local jeep dealership, my wife spotted a white WK. As I knew nothing about it we started to look it over. She test drove it and I noticed it had 153k miles.

Now, I started asking questions. Ended up having no rot, single owner, new struts and ball joints. I decided to have a friend that worked there put it on a lift.

He did, looked great but noticed it was AWD, seems like strike 1, I popped the hood and it was a 3.7 (2009 Laredo).. I shook my head and said nope, went inside and it was too late she has bought it.. Paid $4250 for it which I felt was fair but still... I'm now doomed.

So, I havent been on Expo Portal for awhile but is there anyone building a 3.7 AWD Laredo that can give me a spot of hope?

(How do you add photos from a phone?)

Mitch502

Explorer
The 3.7 from what I've seen, never researched it, seems to be just "ok". Kinda a middle of the road engine.

The Quadra drive 2 system is supposed to be one of the best ever, and gets a lot of praise. There are a few wk/wk2 build threads on here. Just search a little. Good luck!

P.s. You can host your pics on a 3rd party like Flickr or imgur and share them like that

BigDaveZJ

Adventurer
I think what you're referencing by it being AWD is that it is a single speed t-case, no low range? The AWD system is great on the roads, but a lack of low range for an expo rig is a major bummer.

BickMaine

My problem is, seema like everything I want to research is about the 4.7, I'm assuming it can't be much different for draintrain set up?

I know the lift kits are the same as far as I can tell.. So at least I know I can do that, but with a winch ... I guess I will have to say bring it on! The most extreme event I plan on doing is vermont overland, been wanting to build a rig for a few years for it. The rest of thr year I wont be so hardcore.

kayadog

Adventurer
The 3.7 is kind of a dog in a heavy WK but mine was very reliable. No low range on the quadra trac 1 is not ideal but is more capable than you would expect unless you are rock crawling. I’d get some skid plates, front and rear tow hooks, a 2” lift, and some 265/70r17 all terrains and have fun. You may need to trim the front suspension bolt to fit the tires and don’t forget to disable the traction control off road or in deep snow. Keep the tire weight and diameter reasonable to avoid taxing the v6.

BigDaveZJ

Adventurer
Also, make sure to check event requirements before planning on attending, some require that the vehicle has 4low to participate.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12