I'm in Tire Agony; BFG A/T KO 33x9.5R15 vs 33x10.5R15 vs ???

dieselcruiserhead

16 Years on ExPo. Whoa!!
I wish I had pics of the 10.5 on the 7" wide rims I mounted a couple nights ago, they look just awesome...

Also, possibly check ebay (and tirerack.com). on ebay a friend scored 5 for $500 before shipping, $100 each...

w_b

Observer
OverlandXJ said:
Heres a cheap steel wheel in 15x7 with 4" backspacing @ $46.99 each.

http://www.quadratec.com/products/92602_4XX_B_PG.htm

Lots of guys running black steelies, this style is the newest. Theres a few other style out there this cheap. Might be able to get a good package deal somewhere.
That's a better price than anything I've found. I've been looking at the steelies. I haven't seen that style though, I haven't found much I've liked with a 4" backspace. 4.5" and 3.75", but 4" seems to be a little tougher to find. Thank you.

edit: I didn't like that wheel when I first looked at it, but the more I look it the more I like it. That's a good looking wheel, especially for the price.

$20 more for the same wheel but in 16". Interesting...

I'm still undecided on the wheels, but I'm leaning towards trying the tires on the wheels I have first. I shouldn't have to pay for mounting, so it won't cost me anything to try.

Last edited:

w_b

Observer
dieselcruiserhead said:
I wish I had pics of the 10.5 on the 7" wide rims I mounted a couple nights ago, they look just awesome...

Also, possibly check ebay (and tirerack.com). on ebay a friend scored 5 for $500 before shipping, $100 each...

I'm keeping an eye out. Monday I'll know more after I talk to my kid, the 4-Wheel Parts salesman. The family discount is dead and gone, but he has a lot of connections in the tire/wheel industry. He might be able to find something.

XJLI

Adventurer
dieselcruiserhead said:

wam bam thank you ma'am

2782103173_54b0fcf79c.jpg

w_b

Observer
XJLI said:

Nice. Thank you.

I called on the tires today. My kid found two in stock at a local distributor. He says if I can wait about a week, he can get the whole set without charging me shipping on the others. So they're on order and I'm a-waiting...

XJLI

Adventurer
I'm running a 1.25" spacer on stock (5.25" BS?) alloy wheels, just to show you how far they stick out. I like the tires a lot more than I thought I would- got em real cheap off a friend who put less than 5k on em and decided to get 35s.

dieselcruiserhead

16 Years on ExPo. Whoa!!
Here is a pic of the tire on a 7" rim, you can tell it looks very balanced... Hope it helps, Andre

Attachments

• SM_Picture 054.jpg
    SM_Picture 054.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 47

w_b

Observer
dieselcruiserhead said:
Here is a pic of the tire on a 7" rim, you can tell it looks very balanced... Hope it helps, Andre

It all helps. Thank you.

The wheel does look good. I like it. In the interest of saving a little money, I'm still going to try them on the 8" wheel first. If I need to switch wheels, the most it'll cost is another trip into town to pick up the wheels (and the cost of the wheels of course). As I type this I realize my kid gave me the 15x8" wheels. If I'm not going to use them I should give them back rather than my sell them -- that'd only be right. I don't think he can use them but he wouldn't have a problem selling them.

And the tires come in Monday so I will pick them up on Tuesday!

w_b

Observer
And they rub:

IMG_3380i.jpg

L/F rubbing at the front

IMG_3381i.jpg
L/F rubbing at the top when stuffed

IMG_3379i.jpg

L/F rubbing at the rear

IMG_3383i.jpg

L/R rubbing at the rear

Last edited:

w_b

Observer
One tire took 8 ounces of weight before it balanced. The tire guy speculated it might be out of round. We haven't had it on the freeway yet, but we didn't notice any tire vibrations around town or on a very short stretch of highway.

The steering requires significantly more input but then the first test drive I had the tires at 18/16 psi front/rear as it was at that pressure when I first got a all the tread on the ground. (I don't plan on running them on the road at this pressure.)

The lugs and voids between the lugs on the BFGs are quite a bit bigger than on the smaller tires. For some reason I didn't really expect this. Maybe this is why some guys review they do okay in light mud (bigger tire) and some guys review they're horrible in the mud (smaller tire).

The ride is quiet enough although I had expectations they'd be a bit more quiet, especially being new.

I am going to have to trim those fender flairs though. I guess I was hoping I wouldn't have to. I was pretty dumb to think so, in retrospect.

Again, thanks all for the help. I sincerely appreciate everyone's input. Thanks.
:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

w_b

Observer
Oh, and this is how I measured at what psi all the tread came to the ground, by slipping a sheet of paper underneath the tire at different tire pressures. For curiosity, I also measured the length of the contact patch as well.

scan0001i.gif

scan0002i.gif

This was by no means a scientific test, heck I don't even know if my pressure gauge is all that accurate, and I eyeballed the papers being square to each other. Hopefully you get the idea.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman